Need help - Rough idle when starting hot - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Need help - Rough idle when starting hot

Hi guys,
Recently, whenever I start up the car with a warm/hot engine I have been experiencing a rough idle (RPMs too low) for the first 30 seconds or so accompanied by what i think is fuel odor and some smoke. It goes away when I put it in gear and drive off. What could it be?

Apparently the previous owner had the IAC, MAF and crank position sensor replaced not long ago. I was reading up on the forum about it and one guy was suggesting to replace the Engine Coolant Temp sensor in a similar case. I'm not sure if that is relevant to my symptoms? I intend to replace the fuel filter for unrelated reasons this weekend, so that might help a little, but I don't think that's the cause.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by roborated; 12-20-2017 at 01:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

I found this thread on the Explorer forum which lists an identical problem: Intermittent rough idle on warm start.... | Ford Explorer and Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

Those guys seem to think it might be down to the throttle position sensor or dirty fuel injectors. Any thoughts?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 07:47 PM
5th Gear Poster

I'm not sure if you have a throttle position sensor on your later model but a voltage check on it and all the other sensors you mentioned might fix your issue.

There are instructional threads that can be dug up here with searches.

1992 Tbird LX 5.0, 3.73 gears, 1995 Cobra intake, deleted air silencer, 2.5" mandrel bent dual exhaust, SCP shorty headers. Updated four-hole fuel injectors. SK shift kit in AOD. Vogtland 0.9" springs, Tokico and Bilstein shocks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

@gordonm1 Thanks for the suggestion! I think the explorers they were talking about on that forum were around the 1995 model year as well so I assume the T-Birds would have them too. I'll go look for those threads.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 12:38 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to white lincoln
Try cleaning out the IAC, though it would most likely show up when the engine is cold with a rough idle.

I replaced my fuel injectors a while back and it made a world of difference. It was worth it too. I found a set on Ebay, new for $80. It was cheaper to replace the injectors than have an injector flush done by a shop.

You could try running some SeaFoam through the throttle body, crankshaft and gas tank as well. Due to the ethanol in the gas during the winter, engines tend to run like crap. Though, I think they put in year round now... ?

My two cents.

1995 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 200k!
1994 Mercoury Cougar XR7 - 150k and still going.

I've had too many other cars to mention...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 03:28 PM
PostWhore

Yes, a minimum of 10% ethanol is everywhere, all year - been that way for years.

Most areas have random stations with "ethanol free" pumps that are clearly marked. Also clearly marked with up to a 25% higher price.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in