SC Blower Ducting Seal Procedure - TCCoA Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By dDUBb
  • 1 Post By MadMikeyL

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

SC Blower Ducting Seal Procedure

OK, let me preface this message with "Yes, I *did* try the search function . . ."
I had occasion to remove everything on top of my engine to get to the fuel rail to replace the fuel pressure reg. Now I just have to reinstall it all.

I've got the Teflon strips and RTV-like sealant to reseal my supercharger (can't I just say blower?) ducting. Not wanting to mess up the small quantity of Teflon strips provided, what is the best/successful way to go about sealing the blower output ducting?

Thank you for any clues or suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 10:01 AM
Kind of slapped together

I'd suggest asking on SCCoA.COM's forums for that.

RwP

Fuelly
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

What? You're telling me NOBODY in this forum knows anything about the Tbird SC engine? But I guess I'll give it a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 02:31 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
He’s suggesting you’ll get a more timely and possibly detailed answer at SCCoA since that engine is their specialty, just as if you asked over there about 4.6 PI intake swaps - somebody will surely know but you’re more likely to find that kind of info here.

-Matt
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 02:52 PM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air2Mud View Post
What? You're telling me NOBODY in this forum knows anything about the Tbird SC engine? But I guess I'll give it a try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
He’s suggesting you’ll get a more timely and possibly detailed answer at SCCoA since that engine is their specialty, just as if you asked over there about 4.6 PI intake swaps - somebody will surely know but you’re more likely to find that kind of info here.
That was EXACTLY what I meant.

Whereas we have a lot of SC guys here, on SCCoA it's almost ALL SCs.

Be like asking at a "Ford Custom Car" show about your SC, almost; someone there may well know, and I'm fairly positive folks here know - but they're also on SCCoA and you can search their forums there and get it WWWWAAAAAYYYYYY before a SC owner deigns to darken the halls of us schlubs with NA motors.

RwP

Fuelly
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

I learn something new everyday. Thanks for the advice and I appreciate your patience as well!!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 03:47 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
OK, let me preface this message with "Yes, I *did* try the search function . . ."
I had occasion to remove everything on top of my engine to get to the fuel rail to replace the fuel pressure reg. Now I just have to reinstall it all.

I've got the Teflon strips and RTV-like sealant to reseal my supercharger (can't I just say blower?) ducting. Not wanting to mess up the small quantity of Teflon strips provided, what is the best/successful way to go about sealing the blower output ducting?

Thank you for any clues or suggestions.

More than likely, the answer you will receive on the SCCOA website will be one of the following ..

a. Do a search, this has been covered many times over the years

b. Buy the Re-useable Teflon IC gasket set that dDUBb sells on Ebay, or through PM ( very limited quantities available, I will not be making any more after these last two sets are sold ) .. there are others who sell and copied my design, but they are half the thickness of my gaskets and only good for so many re-uses.

c. Where the fuck did you find OEM sealing tape, that has been obsolete for over 15 years, its worth more brand new in the box .. see response b. or d.

d. Use RTV

The Ford Service manual is very vague on details, but basically they say to lay the tape down about 3mm (1/8" ) from the inside along the spherical surfaces and overlap the ends approximately 6mm ( 1/4" ) - be careful not to nick or damage the sealing surfaces during installation.

I could detail how to do this using standard over the counter Teflon tape using Isopropyl alcohol but the method is a bit tricky and I don't want to set anybody up for failure.

I normally install these in the reverse order of removal - starting with the lower IC tube tightened in place first, then loosely install the upper IC tube, followed by the Intercooler itself. Once these are all "hand tight", you can tighten down all of the 13mm retaining nuts evenly.

I remove the old gasket material with a razor blade and clean with solvent, be very careful not to damage the aluminum surfaces, since they scratch very easily - do not use a wire wheel or brush

The RTV like sealer you are using for the SC Top I am assuming is some type of Anerobic sealer ( cures in the lack of oxygen ) .. but RTV works just as good as long as you don't get it inside the SC opening .. DO NOT use the Teflon IC top gasket ( even though I am the one who originally developed this piece ), As I have determined over the years, there is not enough clamping force on the Top to provide a sufficient seal and you will more than likely end up stripping the SC casing.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 04:05 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Dan, if you aren't making the gaskets anymore, I'll take one more set just to have as a backup.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 04:10 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
Dan, if you aren't making the gaskets anymore, I'll take one more set just to have as a backup.
I need to check what I have left .. but yeah, if that's the case, I may need to remove my Ebay listing entirely. Sales have slowed down so much after the last few years that Its not worth re-investing in the time / material to make another batch.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Roger that on the Ford service manual - it's "very vague" about a lotta stuff. [;\}

"I could detail how to do this using standard over the counter Teflon tape using Isopropyl alcohol but the method is a bit tricky and I don't want to set anybody up for failure."

I'm willing to try. Do you have the methodology saved in a file somewhere and you could cut/paste conveniently? - I've got a shitload of Teflon tape and bottles of Iso' alcohol. What is/are the failure modes? Do you realize them before or after you fire up the engine? Gah.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 04:23 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Roger that on the Ford service manual - it's "very vague" about a lotta stuff. [;\}

"I could detail how to do this using standard over the counter Teflon tape using Isopropyl alcohol but the method is a bit tricky and I don't want to set anybody up for failure."

I'm willing to try. Do you have the methodology saved in a file somewhere and you could cut/paste conveniently? - I've got a shitload of Teflon tape and bottles of Iso' alcohol. What is/are the failure modes? Do you realize them before or after you fire up the engine? Gah.
No well .. basically, detailing the procedure cuts into my "sales" .. LOL at this point its a moot subject.

Its hit and miss. The basics are that the ISO soaked tape will allow the tape to "stick" to the surface and conform during installation, however you need to make sure you don't "stretch" the tape, and install it quickly before the ISO starts to evaporate, A spray bottle might help to ensure it stays wet - don't worry it will be long evaporated before your engine is put back together. The ISO will also cause some shrinkage and wrinkle as it dries, so you need to install at the outer edge of the spherical surface with enough tape to overlap after the shrinkage. This is a trial and error process, just try it and see how it works. Also you need to cut the tape into slightly thinner strips more along the lines of the width of the OEM sealing tape, even the 1/2" tape is a bit too wide for the sealing surfaces. And don't use any of that blue monster shit, just standard white Teflon tape. Blue monster is great for household plumbing pipes, but not so much your vehicle although ive never tried, it is more of a fortified variant. Also not all Teflon tape is created the same, you want something with a thicker spec than that cheap china stuff.

The only failure is if you install it incorrectly, or the tape dries before you get it tightened up. You will know either of these after you fire it up, but you should have a good idea where you're at when you mate the sealing surfaces together during installation. The trail and error is mostly In the width and length you cut the strips for a proper installation. Cut the strips too short and they will shrink too much for a proper seal.

Last edited by dDUBb; 01-22-2019 at 04:31 PM.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Well, I *did* try to find your stuff on eBay but came up blank. Send me to your item on eBay and I'll grab it!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 05:09 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Well, I *did* try to find your stuff on eBay but came up blank. Send me to your item on eBay and I'll grab it!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Coupe...PV5f:rk:1:pf:1

Here is the link to my Ebay listing. But if you PM me, I can do them for $20 instead. Paypal and Ebay takes 25% from me.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dDUBb View Post
I need to check what I have left .. but yeah, if that's the case, I may need to remove my Ebay listing entirely. Sales have slowed down so much after the last few years that Its not worth re-investing in the time / material to make another batch.
I just ordered 2 sets of yer Teflon gaskets off of eBay - but I obviously missed your suggestion [above], dang!

Last edited by Air2Mud; 01-22-2019 at 09:10 PM.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 10:52 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
I just ordered 2 sets of yer Teflon gaskets off of eBay - but I obviously missed your suggestion [above], dang!
Thanks, shipping them out today. I have modified my listing on Ebay now that I am completely tapped out. I really wasn't expecting somebody to buy a 3rd set about 30 minutes after you did.
Air2Mud likes this.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 01:37 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Dammit! Out of curiousity, how many orders would make it worth it to make another run of them?
KEVIN8989 likes this.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 03:27 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
Dammit! Out of curiousity, how many orders would make it worth it to make another run of them?
Sent you a PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in