Lowering ET and gaining HP - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
jay
4th Gear Poster

Lowering ET and gaining HP

I was wondering if anyone could help me get my 1990 V6 bird in low 16's.
I dont have much money. I currently have a custom ram air, 180 tstat and putting in underdrive pulleys. Some other mods i would like to do are accel coil, advance timing (need to know how much and if safe), and eliminating a/c.

I NEED ANY TIPS OR SUGGESTIONS

ALSO WOULD THE J MOD WORK ON MY 1990?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 03:35 AM

In my 95 3.8 I run 18* of advanced timing. I also run the 180* Stat and Motorcraft 32c Plugs gapped at .057. Of course if you are going to advance the timing you will have to make sure you run some premium fuel. Otherwise you may experience detonation or knock. I'd just experiment with it some one day, Put in colder plugs (32c's) and Premium Fuel and go to 18* (this seems to be a good number for timing on the 3.8) and test it out, if you get knock, ping, or detonation then retard the timing some, until the ping is no longer there.

As for the 1990, I believe that up until 94 all thunderbirds/cougars had the AOD series of transmissions, So the J-mod will not work in it. Although there are many companies that make shift kits for the AOD. I think Trans-Go is one of them, if you glance around you should be able to find some others.

Honestly, i may be wrong on this, but i don't think you would see much of a gain putting in an Accel Coil on a mostly stock engine. unless your factory coil is just worn out. Someone correct me on this if i'm wrong?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2003, 11:11 PM

Low 16's is going to take a littel work and a littel more mony.

While the timing will pick up some HP the biggest gains are going to be some 3.73's or even some 4.10's in the rear. About $500 for gears and to get tehm setup. If your lucky you can find a good deal. Can cut up to .5 off your quarter time.

Some cheap power can be had from hunting down some tube headers form a 96+
t-bird.

Half shaft the T-body, cheap and can help.

Save up $200 and have your intake ported and polished, I think rancherlee does them. Good for 7+ HP

Flex's spacer. Garenteed 7+ tourque at the rear wheel.

After that your talking about P&P your heads or doing a splitport swap.

Now for a grand you can do a splitport swap with a cam and some P&P. I was going to do this before I had a chance at a Mark VIII engine. I estimated this setup to give me about 70-80 extra HP. Might be a little high but was thinking

heads 40HP
cam 20hp
Intake and heads P&P 20+ HP

Come on over to the 3.8 fourm and you will see a lot of ideas and people with a lot more knowlage than me talk.

Also check out 3.8 Mustang and V6power.net which are sites dedicated to the 3.8 and 4.2 enngines.

Last edited by Jemplayer; 10-22-2003 at 11:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 10:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
Quote:
Originally posted by Green95LX

As for the 1990, I believe that up until 94 all thunderbirds/cougars had the AOD series of transmissions, So the J-mod will not work in it. Although there are many companies that make shift kits for the AOD. I think Trans-Go is one of them, if you glance around you should be able to find some others.

Honestly, i may be wrong on this, but i don't think you would see much of a gain putting in an Accel Coil on a mostly stock engine. unless your factory coil is just worn out. Someone correct me on this if i'm wrong?
Wrong on the first, right on the second.

The J-Mod will only work on the 4r70w transmission. The 4r70w was on the tbirds/cougars in the year 94-97.

Accel anything sucks.

JH
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 11:27 AM

cheapest way= 50hp Nitrous kit
N/A it will take atleast 1500$ to get there, unless you find great deals on parts.
4.10 gears, and the rest of the "bolt ons" might get you high 16's (look at Thomas's car) OR find a low mileage 99+ mustang engine and install it and that will get you mid-low 16's.

1989-93' run high 17's stock, getting down to a low 16 will take ALOT of work.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 12:52 PM
Pedal Faster

Send a message via AIM to Josh_Keady
JustinH wrote:

Quote:
Wrong on the first, right on the second.

The J-Mod will only work on the 4r70w transmission. The 4r70w was on the tbirds/cougars in the year 94-97.
Green95LX wrote:
Quote:
Um, Justin.........

But really, sounds like you've got some good suggestions, jay, Thomas and Rancher have both done some pretty extensive work to their cars, listen to them and you'll be on the right track.

Josh Keady

1994 Super Coupe ('93 5.0L swap), 1990 Tbird 3.8L, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1972 F-100 SportCustom 4x4, 1970 Chevy Custom Camper / 20
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 05:10 AM
1st Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to 59bisquik
I have a set of 97 tubular manifolds and EGR tube and such....is it really worth the hassle to install? Modifying the exhaust and such...what kind of gain is it worth?

94 3.8 Thunderchicken
59 Chevy Biscayne undergoing frame off rodstoration 383/Hilborn Stack EFI
54 Ford Customline Coupe 351/AOD
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 05:27 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Well the 96-97 3.8 bird was rated 10 hp higher than the 89-95's Mostly because of the shorty headers. I have them on my car, I ported them out with a dye grinder and opened the coolector to 2.25" and they don't leak.

Ported upper and lower manifolds are good for about 15 at the crank I believe. When you get ported intakes gasket match the heads (i forgot to ) and you'll get more out of them. Or just buy ported heads.

Consider buying a chip and a larger maf. it'll help you out with airflow since the 55mm is really small. And then you'll have a chip for when you put on ported intakes/heads and you can get a dyno tune to compliment it all well.

Right now I believe I can run a 16.4 POSSIbly better. Last time I was at the track I ran a 16.9 but my car was having issues and my plugs were gapped pretty badly and I forgot to take out the 100 lbs of car parts in my trunk haha. Now my plugs are gapped at .060 and I gained some more bottom end acceleration. A friend of mine with a 5.0 took out his spare tire and dropped 2 tenths of a second. I should have done that!

Well anyway I'd say best place to start is by advancing the timing, buying some frpp 9mm plug wires and 32c's gapped to stock specs. And go to higher octane fuel. I was actually able to run 19* advancement and I now run 93 octane fuel but I can go down to 91 with no problems. The power just isn't there. After that I'd start saving up for a chip, maf, and ported intakes. You see a pretty good gain with that. Then save up for some 1.8 roller rockers. They'll work really well with your ported intakes.

Next on my agenda is ported heads and a 4.3 shortblock. Or a vortech supercharger if I can find it cheap at the time.

-Thomas

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 05:28 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Oh I forgot one thing. Another way to REALLY decrease your 1/4 ET is to buy a 2800-3000 high stall non lock up torque converter. On a stock car with wider tires (to keep traction from high rpm launch) you could drop upto .7 seconds off the ET!
-Thomas

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2003, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Thomas
Well the 96-97 3.8 bird was rated 10 hp higher than the 89-95's Mostly because of the shorty headers.

-Thomas
Thomas... c'mon man you know better than that! It's only 5 HP greater... and you were right about that gain being mostly from the much better manifolds... Just thought I would clear that up. I'm amazed how far everyone on this site has come with understanding the quicker ways to power... I gues we all realized to stop messing with the bolt ons and just start ripping crap out and replacing it with much better parts! When I get my exhaust fixed I'm going to try and plan a trip to a dragstrip in Albany, GA to see what my car runs... I can't wait!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in