3.8 T-bird speedo doesn't work - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Angry 3.8 T-bird speedo doesn't work

My brothers '90 3.8 T-bird speedo doesn't work and blinkers work when they feel like it. What should I look at? TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 03:58 PM

Digital dash or analog? My old 90's digital dash had the internal lighting go out. It was working, you just couldnt see the numbers.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Analog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 07:42 PM
Pedal Faster

Send a message via AIM to Josh_Keady
Sounds like you might have a loose or corroded connector on the back of the gauge pod. Simple to fix, just remove the outer trim piece, then the gauge pod, then check out the connections on the back. Might be as simple as that.

Josh Keady

1994 Super Coupe ('93 5.0L swap), 1990 Tbird 3.8L, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1972 F-100 SportCustom 4x4, 1970 Chevy Custom Camper / 20
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 08:06 PM
PostWhore

By blinkers, you mean turn signals, right? If so, I would recommend to check the multi-function switch (controls turn signals, high/low beams, wipers, etc.). Checking it's a little complicated, but I could dig out my manual and tell you how if you have a multimeter and don't have a good MFS to swap in.

For the speedometer, there's only a few things it could be.

1. The Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) on the driver's side of the tranny, near the tailshaft. (My speedometer worked intermittently, because the VSS was somehow sheared in two. I learned that it's supposed to be all one piece when the intact replacement showed up.)

2. The wiring (including connectors) from the VSS to the computer and the gauge cluster (it splits and goes to both).

3. The gauge cluster or speedometer.

4. Instrument panel ground. (But if the other gauges work while the speedometer doesn't, then it's probably not the ground.)

I would advise you to try this: Try using the cruise control while the speedometer is not working. If the cruise doesn't work either, then you know that the problem is somewhere other than the gauge. It's either the VSS or wiring.

edit: If your brother doesn't have cruise control, then you will have to check the VSS and wires visually.

-------------------

Steve

Owner, 1990 Thunderbird SC, white w/ gray cloth

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in