ignition trouble - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2003, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy ignition trouble

hey everyone...I have a small problem that can hopefully be worked out at a fairly cheap price. It happens when I start my car....as I turn the key in the ignition, everything goes off...the power and everything. At times, after the first try, it will turn over, but recently, it has been getting progressively worse. Is this my starter going out, or is my ignition relay messed? I had the ignition switch replaced about 2 years ago. I don't know if it is still under any warranty, and I can't find the papers if it is. Need help bad.....worried I am going to be stranded very soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2003, 05:47 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Well if you're worried about being stranded always keep a hammer in your trunk to smack the starter if it freezes.

But it does sound to me like your starter is going bad. The starter uses a LOT of battery power and if it doesn't get the engine started it will eat that battery power in no time. A remanufactured starter with lifetime warranty costs about 90 bucks without the core charge. And about 130 with core charge. I'd say it's time to replace it.

-Thomas

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2003, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply...thats what I thought was happening, but I wasn't too sure...how bad is it to replace the starter on my own?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2003, 06:30 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Depends on your tool selection. With the way the downtubes and catalytic converters are placed it's a real PITA to do. Probably take about 2 hours to get it off and the new one on. But if you have exhaust like mine it's really easy. My downtubes are made so that the cats are back by the tranny pan and I could fit my whole arm up in there. You'll also have to splice in a wire because Ford made a better switch relay on the starter. That was the main problem with them.
-Thomas

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2003, 07:21 PM
PostWhore

I replaced my starter once. It wasn't too bad. I just put the front of the car up on jackstands and wriggled under in the driveway. It wasn't too hard to get to on my 89, but the new 96 downtubes might be troublesome.

By the way, it sounds to me like it could also be a low battery. Which could be caused by a bad starter draining the battery, but I would check the battery as well. The trouble is, if you test the starter in-car with the type of machine Advance Auto Parts has, a bad battery can throw off the reading. (Or so they say.) So, you might actually be best served taking the battery out and having them test it (since it's easier to get to) and then testing the starter once you know the battery is good.

My battery was just replaced this year under warranty, and it was acting similar to what you describe.

-------------------

Steve

Owner, 1990 Thunderbird SC, white w/ gray cloth
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2003, 08:15 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Oh man battery totally skipped my mind. Yeah most auto parts stores will test a battery for free and it takes 5 minutes so start with that.

89-97 passenger downtubes are all the same FYI

-Thomas

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 01:51 AM
The Parts Guy

Is the car losing all power when the key is turned to "ON" or when it is turned to the "START" position? If it's losing all power when turning to the "ON" position, it sounds like a bad ignition switch or connection at the battery. If it's losing all power when turning to the "START" position, it's likely either the battery, connections at the battery, or the starter.

Quote:
Originally posted by Thomas
89-97 passenger downtubes are all the same FYI
Not completely true, there were slight changes in the downtubes between the 93's and 94's, and the 95's and 96's (three downtube styles were 89-93, 94-95, 96-97). These changes were made to accomodate the changes in angles of the exhaust manifolds/headers. However in this instance, none of this really matters.

-Rod

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 02:21 AM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Well okay I should correct my statement. All passenger downtubes are at the same angle where they meet the collector. As in all 89-97 passenger exhaust manifold will bolt up to 89-97 passenger downtubes. There were emissions hardware changes in the downtubes 3 times like Rod pointed out.
-Thomas

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Basically when I turn the key to the start position, that is when everything goes off....no power going through...I can giggle the key a little, and by that time it turns over. Hope this helps..
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 12:24 PM
PCD
Confirmed V6 Nut

I've seen Thomas change the starter on his car. He is fast even with my crappy tools. Just watch out when he tosses the old starter. He's leathal!

The Parts Bin Special is DEAD! It is being parted out.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 12:58 PM
The Parts Guy

If by jiggling the key the power comes back on, then I'd have to suggest replacing the ignition switch.

-Rod

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in