what happened to this motor? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2003, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
what happened to this motor?

Ok, a few weeks ago, my girlfriend was driving home from my house in her 91 3.8NA bird, and then I get a call from her that her car died. So I drive down there, and she's waiting with a tow truck guy, and she says that she was driving, then all of a sudden it sounded like there were marbles in her motor and she looked down and the temp was through the roof. I open the hood, and she has coolant on the pass. side inner fender, and no oil in the pan. We get the car home, and the next day I add oil and start it up, and it starts just fine but it sounded like she broke a connecting rod or wrist pin or something. Anyway, I got another 3.8 for the car and did the swap and everything is fine with the car now, (by the way, none of the coolant hoses were damaged) but out of curiousity I pulled the oil pan off the old motor to see what she destroyed, and everything looks fine. No bent/broken rods, no broken wrist pins, all the cylinders move fine, and the motor turns over easily. Anyone know what happened?

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2003, 04:45 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
The coolant on the inner fender probably came from the resevoir, after it over heated. I'm taking a guess, but the connecting rod bearings are probably toast. No oil, no lubrication, lots of noise!

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 02:31 AM

im almost willing to put money on the rod bearings.. i know the sound ALL too well... one of the worst sounds ever. i will not go into detail though. -greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 11:11 PM

hmmm...I think that maight be what's wrong with my motor as well...maybe I should get a sound clip to have glowing escape analuze it...my cousin said it is either my main bearings or rod bearing, but not sure...I'll try to get something and post it hear somehow...Anybody have an idea how much it would cost to fix the rod bearings?

Wes

I never had the overheating problem though...just the knocking kinda noise...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 12:31 AM

The main berings have been know to go out in the 3.8's. Not as common as the headgasket's but if you do a serch it pops up enough.

If she had no oil in the engine well, nothing good is going to happen.

Funny thing that happend to me several years ago is that when my old `91 S-10 started burning oil it got so low one time that the engine shook like it was dying. Put some oil in it and it was fine. Still burned oil, but no other damage.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 08:22 AM

Ive got access to a 96 stang motor that the mains went out on, only had 90K on it. it still ran but made the knocking sounds. That sounds like what my current 3.8 is doing, hopefully 3.8 number 3 is better....

On that note, i used to run a 1982 Diplomat straight 6 until it locked up from being low on oil, it would cool down, add oil and fire back up! It did this for years. I hated that car and wanted it to die, but it wouldnt!!! Just kept clacking along....and it still runs today.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 12:44 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
Would that be the infamous "slant 6" that chrysler put out? they were famous for that! Sound and run like s**t, but they just would not go all the way and die!

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 01:26 PM

Yep the good ole slant six. Sounded like a room full of tap dancers when running, smoked pretty good, hard to start in the morning, but hard to stop at all. I know I had it down to half a quart one time.....
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 11:54 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Please don't use "good" and "slant six" in the same sentence. I used to have a 74 Duster with the Slant Six.

Rick
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2003, 03:14 AM

Ya shoulda turbo'd it.

You CAN build a 3.8 Slant Six to make some decent power... enough for 14's in a Duster.

Not that fast, until you consider that Bone stock that duster ran a 19 second quarter. =]
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2003, 02:18 PM
PCD
Confirmed V6 Nut

I thought the proper term for the Mopar was "Tipped over six".

The Parts Bin Special is DEAD! It is being parted out.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2003, 02:51 PM

Slant Six, LEaning Tower of Power, Slany Sick, etc etc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in