dah, heat doesn't work properly/erratic temp. gauge - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 02:42 AM Thread Starter

dah, heat doesn't work properly/erratic temp. gauge

my heat is screwed, and it's cold outside, help?

When I first start the car it takes forever for the heat to warm up. Once it does it doesn't necessarily stay hot. It can go from hot to cold, cold to hot, and more often than not, just stay at tepid.

Here's the second problem that's related. My temp. gauge recently has decided to become alive. Beforehand it would simply go a little past the C line when it was warmed up and would stay there. Now it will come to that point, stay there for a bit, then rapidly move to the middle mark (with our motors that's scary), then just as quickly move back down to it's regular resting point. It will do that two-three times within say the first half hour that the car is running, after that it won't move from it's regular spot. I say that it's related to the heat issue because quite often after it does it's little move thing, the heat will either work or blow cold air, the opposite of whatever it was doing before.

Thermostat is new so I guess that's ruled out (ughhhh....), and coolant level is correct
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 04:58 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Let me ask you this. How long ago did you change the thermostat? Did you have heat before you changed it? You might need to bleed air out of the cooling system. Check at the top of the forums list, there's an excellent article there on what needs to be done.

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 01:35 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to PJ-4.2L
It is most likely air in your system. Check you coolant level too first. There is also a possibility that the thermostat is bad even though it's new. But I would suspect something else first.

PJ

PJ- 4.2L -
" 'DIY' was not meant for women."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 07:17 AM
4th Gear Poster

You definitely have air in your system. Top it off and bleed it out like the others said. Post back if that doesn't fix it or if the symptoms come back.

-Carlo

1995 LX Electric Red 3.8, K&N intake, Reinhart Chip.

1965 Mustang HP289

I'm selling many 1960's Mustang and Ford parts. Have a rebuildable 289, an FMX trans, complete 67 coupe body with glass - send me PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in