engine is in.... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

engine is in....

After a long day of work. I pulled the old engine and trans, swapped oil pans, front engine accessories, starter, exhaust manifolds, oil pressure sender, various mounts and stuff and got the "new" engine and trans physically mounted in place.

The only things left to do are hook up the shifter linkage, but the 90 trans has a different looking mount for the cable bracket, so I will have to figure that out. Also in my infinite wisdom, I didnt swap the injector harness and all those plugs. Now the 90 harness wont plug into the 93 EEC plug. And I will have to use the 93 upper manifold since the 90's manifold has stripped bolt holes for the exhaust tube thing. Thats a job for tommorrow man. Also have to put a new U joint up front and put the exhaust back on.

I know that the exhaust manifolds are a machine finish, but is there no gasket that I should use there? Seems leak prone without any gaskets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 08:13 PM
The Parts Guy

Are you asking if there should be a gasket between the exhaust manifolds and heads, or if there should be one between the exhaust manifold collectors and downpipes? You should use one between the manifolds and heads, but not between the collectors and downpipes.

-Rod

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, on the manifold to head. There were no gaskets on either motor. I wouldnt have messed with them, but someone stripped the studs out on the bottom of the manifolds, so I changed em.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 09:13 PM

Its wierd but I've seen quite a few 3.8L without exhaust manfold gaskets. The only ones I've seen with gaskets are the ones that have tubular manifolds (like my 96') a 93' a took apart didn't have any gaskets there.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 12:01 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to PJ-4.2L
Yeah, Max at 5star told me that the manifolds never had a corresponding gasket. I found it hard to believe-- I didn't notice when I took them off my old engine. I got a couple of fel-pro gaskets from the SCCoA Kooks header installation kit. Those will work fine with the manifolds. I wish I had a part number but I don't If anybody gets it, post it.

PJ

PJ- 4.2L -
" 'DIY' was not meant for women."
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 12:07 AM
The Parts Guy

Now that I think about it, almost all of the 3.8's that I've parted out didn't have gaskets between the manifolds and heads. However, every time I've bolted a set of manifolds to the 3.8L heads, I've always used Fel-Pro gaskets, which you can pick up at your local auto parts store. Call it cheap insurance against exhaust leaks.

-Rod

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. They call it machine finish and say there is no gasket needed since they are machined to a real fine finish. I say I should have used them, but we will see if it leaks I did figure out the shifter linkage, bent up linkage brackets do look different than straight ones....... The next part will have to wait a few days. Thanks again.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 04:46 PM
13's or Mildly Broken

Did I miss something? What engine did you put in? Sounds like your just about done and ready to turn the key.

-Andy "Melon"

1994 Thunderbird SC 3.8L Supercharged
1999 Crown Victoria P71 4.6
2000 Explorer 5.0
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

I dropped in another 3.8 and another AOD. Hope to get the fuel injector harness done tommorrow, and fire it up. Maybe get the Ujoint done this coming week and drive it somewhere
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 08:42 PM
PostWhore

Yeah, all the 89-95 3.8s came from the factory with no exhaust manifold gaskets, as far as I know.

-------------------

Steve

Owner, 1990 Thunderbird SC, white w/ gray cloth
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2003, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

It lives!!!!!

After a full day swapping the harness, intake and messing with various sensors, it runs, then after another full day removing the driveshaft, replacing the U joints, bleeding brakes, it drives.

I need to fix the kickdown cable, it stuck at full throttle so i took it off to get me home from the test drive. I also probably need a new master cylinder, after bleeding, it still has to pump twice to get some pedal. It runs good and strong, smoke free up to about 70, then something in the drivetrain is vibrating pretty good, but thats another thread all together. probably a driveshaft out of balance or something Then its exhaust time, running it with nothing but cats and resonator sounds pretty darn ricey Im getting there in a hurry though!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 12:27 AM
PostWhore

Hey, I thought that the AOD had a TV cable, not a kickdown cable, so it controls line pressure in the transmission. I didn't think you could drive with that disconnected because it would hurt the transmission. Or are you talking about something different?

-------------------

Steve

Owner, 1990 Thunderbird SC, white w/ gray cloth
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

I guess technically its a TV cable. Ive allways called it a Kickdown cable, or rod from the old days. your not supposed to drive with it unhooked of course. But its better than driving at full throttle with it stuck
It shifted way too early with it unhooked and wouldnt shift back a gear unless I used the shifter. Its getting fixed before I drive it anymore.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2003, 12:21 AM

I always spray some of that "copper spray gasket" on machined exhaust surfaces, works great.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-01-2004, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

I put just over 200 miles on it yesterday and today. Hasnt leaked at the manifolds yet, but only time will tell I guess.
Got a hookup on a driveshaft from Racecougar, great guy. That fixed all the vibration problems.
Put new master cylinder, pads, rotors, flushed all brake lines, and cleaned everything else yesterday. Now it really stops good.
Got new tires the day before that. Only thing to do now is fix the exhaust, still has no muffler and sounds a bit ricey and droney to me, and get my paint scheme thought out.
Im thinking repainting same color, with black at the bottom and black flames going up and accross the hood. Just something in my head.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2004, 11:48 AM

and yes that will fry an aod in a hurry, i had one break but i was able to pull it half way out and clipped a vise grip on so it couldnt retract, drove quite well, and shifted firmer than usually, couse i fixed very quickly after that

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in