J-mod on tyranny - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Stroked and Blown

Send a message via AIM to BlakTbird96
J-mod on tyranny

Hi all, whats up? Okay, many have suggested the J-mod on the tyrannys for better performance and longer life span. My car has 67K on it. I took it to a local tyranny shop and they are aware of the modification for the 4R70W transmissions. They can perform the mod for $225.00. My father and other people I know of have taken their cars to this transmission shop and have said that they do not rip people off. Should I go ahead and get the tyranny mod done, and take the chance of them ripping me off (i doubt they will but you never know) or should I just take the chance of possibly the tyranny going up eventually costing around $1500.00 to rebuild, replace, etc. Some would suggest that I do it myself but I work fulltime plus I go to college fulltime, therefore I really dont have the time, plus I'm not real mechanically inclined when it comes to repairing or modifying cars, Im the type who would rather pay someone else to do the job the right way.
Frank
96Tbird 3.8

My other home:
Mid-AtlanticMN12's

'96 Ford Tbird 3.8 SC
'06 Chrysler Sebring "Vert 2.7

Last edited by BlakTbird96; 11-26-2003 at 02:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 12:52 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

if that is $225 including all the parts and new Mercon V, it is a pretty good price from a shop. Especially if you do not want to tear into your own tranny.

At the same time you should add a tranny cooler, if they included that - jump at the offer.

If their price is labor only, you may be able to find someone here from your area to do it for around 1/2 of that cost. (ask nicely and you can't be in a rush.........)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 03:39 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

If you go over the tech articles a few times for the j-mod and print it out so it's there with you when you're doing it it's actually quite easy to do, even for a not-so-mechanically inclined person. But 225 from a shop is a fantastic price. But it'd probably be more like 300 if you make them use mercon V, which you SHOULD. But normal cost for doing it yourself with fluid price included is about 200. So I'd say go for it!
-Thomas

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 07:21 PM

First you should get rid of that evil transmission. I would expect tyranny from a dictator, but not from a car!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Stroked and Blown

I'm suppose to take my car over there this wednesday 12/3. I stopped back today to make the appointment. I asked if the modification included the Mercon V fluid. He told me that they don't use Mercon V because it can eat through the seals causing the seals to leak. He said the only time you should use Mercon V fluid is if its a rebuilt tyranny or something like that. Has anyone ever heard of this before? It sounds kind of wierd to me. Kind of giving me second thoughts as well.
Frank
96Tbird 3.8

My other home:
Mid-AtlanticMN12's

'96 Ford Tbird 3.8 SC
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 07:07 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

use nothing but mercon v.
-Thomas

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 07:13 PM

with an 96' ONLY use mercon V
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Stroked and Blown

I dont know. Last week, when I took my car over there, the guy seemed real cool about everything. When I went over today to make an appointment, he acted like a real @$$. I have no idea why he would tell me that Mercon V is bad...causes the seals to leak....I know when I go there Wed and tell him to use Mercon V, he's gonna act like an idiot and probably will use Mercon V because I want it, but then may do something on purpose to cause the tranny to leak after a few thousand miles. I may just cancel the appointment and take the chance on my tranny going up (if it does in the future) or I could reply to another post with the number of this transmission shop and if anyone here is local (so noone has to call long distance) they can call the shop and ask why they dont use Mercon V, then reply a post as to what they said. Yah...Im paranoid....had a real bad experience with a transmission shop way back in the day...long before I got the Tbird.
Frank
96 Tbird 3.8

My other home:
Mid-AtlanticMN12's

'96 Ford Tbird 3.8 SC
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 11:24 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

I'd feel the same way also. I make a point of NOT going to mechanics who don't even know what tranny fluid is best. If they're a tranny mechanic they should know. That's just stupid. Anyway, I'd say do it yourself. Find one of the state directors near or in your state and ask them if they know anyone who'd be willing to help and I'll bet you'll get a good response. The guys in Iowa are always helpful like that. Us MN12ers stick together ya know.
-Thomas

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 12:45 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

read page 5 of the OD 101 tranny tech article. I trust the man who designed the tranny more than I trust a guy in some tranny shop somewhere. Don't worry, there are a lot of people (including myself) who use nothing but Mercon V and have no troubles with our 4r70w's.

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 11:42 AM

some Older "AOD" trannies are known to leak with Mercon V but not the 4R70W's in our birds.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 05:32 PM
4th Gear Poster

Hold on! I have a 91 cougar, and I was told o use Mer V. Now you say it can cause leakage What is the deal??? Cool Dude, you need some help? I am not a big expert or anything, but Tbird(a fox owner) and I might be able to help. I live in Owings Mills, and he's in Severn. You are not alone. I need to read up on this "J-mod." Not sure what it is myself...:

Everyday of my life is a constant fight, between wrong and right.

When there is no grass on the field, go around back and play in the mud.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in