K&N cone or K&N FIPK - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Audiobahnbird
K&N cone or K&N FIPK

allright everyone, i need some help. Im torn between two intakes. I removed my air silencer and make a PVC ram air that runs down into my fog light hole. Right now the scoop for it is kind of awkwardly positioned, so i plan on making a scoop and putting it on the bottom middle section of my bumper. Im trying to decide wich way i want to do my upper intake. The K&N FIPKs are, of course, the cone filter with a plastic intake tube that sayd "K&N" on it, so it will obviosly look aftermarket. thats my first option. My second option is, a conical K&N filter and a custom plexi airbox around it. I kind of like the latter because i really want to try making this plexi box myself. But maybe i'd be better off with an FIPK. Anyone got any ideas?

Please enjoy my new and improved short signature- Russ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 08:40 PM
13's or Mildly Broken

From what I've seen, your probably just as better off by going with the cone filter and making your own heatshield/box for it then you are to get the FIPK. Talk to Thomas to see what he made his intake tube out of - I've seen his and it's a nice design.

Buy a cone filter, make a heatshield, and work on the intake tube. More work will be involved, but can more than likely save some money in the process by doing it yourself. Just out of curiousity - how much is the K&N FIPK for the 3.8L anyway? All I've ever seen has been either a panel or the cone - didn't know that a FIPK was made for the 3.8.

-Andy "Melon"

1994 Thunderbird SC 3.8L Supercharged
1999 Crown Victoria P71 4.6
2000 Explorer 5.0
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 09:01 PM

The FIPK is just a cone and a bracket, so when you say cone and FIPK, they are basically the same thing.

I have one and don't use it any more. I have the stock air box with a Ford oil bath panel filter (same as a K&N panel, but white).

What you have is a cold air intake, not "Ram Air". I'm not going into the detail on that. Just do a search on ram air in the threads. All you will do by dropping the opening lower is pick up more crap and moisture from the road and sucking it into the filter like a big vacuumcleaner.

two cents please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 09:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
I'm going to say "neither".

Buy yourself a new paper air filter, and save the money for something useful, like a 3.8 underdrive crank pulley or pulley set.

You aren't going to get anything noticiable out of the filter, or the crap-fipk. The FIPK is the most overrated thing I have ever seen. It is a plastic tube with a KN sticker on it, that sells for 100+ dollars.

I have been there and done that, and I run paper air filters now, and replace them once or twice a year.

JH
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

i guess i shouldve gone into more detail.

#1- Im not going for a bigger power gain, im just going for the sound, i like to intimidate the local ricers and nothing makes them whine and cry more than a "land yact" with a better sounding intake/exhaust setup than theirs

#2- i very seldom drive my car in the rain and i never drive it in the snow, it won trophies in both shows i entered in last year and i plan on improving the A/V system and exterior of the car in time for next years show season, but until the snow/ salted sand and other crap goes away, its staying in the heated garage.

#3- sorry i called my setup ram-air, im a dumbass and i was in a hurry, i realize now that its cold air induction. However I don't beleive that i am just picking up crap and moisture because i picked up a noticable difference in sound and a slightly noticeable difference in bottom end after i completed the mod with my stock filter. Oh yea, and in between the lower tube and airbox i put a screen so i lessened the chance of large peices of "crap" getting into my intake system.

like i said i just want a little more "woof" outta it, i like to scare people.

the K&N FIPK is a filter, tube, sheild and clamps and sells for 107.95 +S&H through summit

the cone filter is somewhere between 40 and 50 bucks if i remember right

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 07:20 PM
13's or Mildly Broken

If your going for sound to intimidate the ricers, I suggest changing the exhaust rather than the intake. Whether you get a catback exhaust or do a custom setup of your own, it is more likely to produce the sound your looking for.

-Andy "Melon"

1994 Thunderbird SC 3.8L Supercharged
1999 Crown Victoria P71 4.6
2000 Explorer 5.0
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

once again i shouldve been more specific, ive already got a custom catback exhaust setup. (y-pipe straight off the cats removed resonator and replaced it with a 40 series single/single flowmaster delta flow, then y pipe again and duals straight out the back. now i just want that sucking noise up front, ya know what im saying?

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 09:36 PM

You will not get a shield etc as shown in Summit. That is a standard picture that they use. You get a cone, an L-bracket to attach the nose of it to the rad support, and a bracket that attaches to the bottom of the MAF, connecting it to one of the screws that used to hold the airbox. You will need to drill a pilot hole in the rad support to attach the bracket.

You also do not have 190 HP. Sorry.

You have already removed the air silencer. You will gain no horsepower out of the 3.8L with this. Really.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 09:43 PM

Get pulleys.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-30-2003, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

I know i don't have 190 horses, but the people with ****ty kias checking out my car on car domain don't need to know that.
I am planning on getting pulleys as well, just not right at the moment. I guess im just going to do what i want to do with the intake situation and not ask any more questions. I'm sure when i put up a post about pulleys someones going to tell me not to waste my money and that i should get nitrous or a supercharger instead. Thanks for the help.

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Audiobahnbird
I'm sure when i put up a post about pulleys someones going to tell me not to waste my money and that i should get nitrous or a supercharger instead. Thanks for the help.
umm.. i dont think you will hear many people on this board say something like that cause pullies are one of the best hp/$ mod you can do to engine performance.. -greg
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 06:20 AM

You can't buy a supercharger for for $100. Pulleys.

Here's an alternative as well. Spacers.

Also, a little cheat to alter the rear end ratio slightly is to get smaller profile tires. It will make your 3.8L a little quicker from a stop. Your car will feel lighter. Even 225/60-15. It will increase your wheel gap, but lowering springs would help that.

Here's some recent topics on Exhaust .

I'm just trying to think of low cost things that will benefit you more.

BTW, he has a Kia, you have a Thunderbird. It's like the saying "I'm fat, but you're ugly and I can diet." You can diet.

Is this a common thing on CarDomain to increase your HP estimate by 30%? If it's a given that everyone does it, well then it all bull**** then isn't it.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 10:35 AM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Here's what I'd do. Buy a generic cone filter from an auto store like autozone for 40 bucks. the fipk's are not worth the money. Everyone is right, it's just an xtra 2 brackets for the extra 60 bucks. What a rip off. That's the one I got and I beat myself every time I think about it. Well anyway, I went to a hardware store and bought a 90 degree rubber plumbing elbow, cut it in half, and then stuck both ends onto an exhaust pipe that runs upto another elbow into the TB. Here's a few pictures. Hope this helps you out. the exhaust pipe is 3" and so are the elbows. Elbows are 12 bucks each and the pipe was 10 bucks from an exhaust shop.

And if you ever need anymore help and advice on your car just e-mail me at [email protected] or leave feedback in my cardomain guestbook at www.cardomain.com/id/svtbird93

-Thomas

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

looks like a nice setup thomas, thats similar to my plan. once again thanks to everyone for all the help

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 07:58 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

In fact, you can see one of the brackets that the front of the cone attached to on that last picture in the bottom left corner. I havn't got around to taking it off yet. Tell me if that little piece of metal is worth 60 dollars.
-Thomas

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

lol yea i noticed that, i doubt its worth 60 bucks, maybe its just black painted gold? j/k. were there any other things that need to be connected to the intake besides the throttle body and the mass airflow meter? i would check myself but my car is in storage, im getting antsy just thinking about doing this mod, ive been wanting to trash that ugly stock tube for a long time.

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 08:04 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

there's the PCV tube that comes from the driver side valve cover to the elbow right after thr throttle body. I just notched a very small x with a knife then shoved it in there so it was tight. Also, I believe the 94 has a little air temp sensor that attahces to the airbox, you just move it to somewhere that catches the same cold air that the cone filter does. Like stick it through a hole into the fender well.
-Thomas

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

ok, i thought i saw the little pvc tubes on some other cars, i wondered about that, but my car doesnt have a sensor in the airbox, ive had it completely out b4 and ive never had to pull a sensor out, well maybe thats just ohne less thing i have to do, oh yea by the way, i got ur sn from ur tccoa profile, ill im u sometime.

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 08:42 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

AIM or YIM? I mostly use YIM.
-Thomas

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

AIM

post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 09:32 PM

I plan to use one of the large, long exhaust tips that you can get at parts stores, they are chrome and shiny, then cut it so its flat on both ends, then use the elbows on it. I might drill a hole in it and use a rubber grommet for the PCV hose. It should look good. I had a buddy who just went to the exhaust shop and had a large pipe bent for his car, it looked good after he polished it.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-03-2003, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

thats a good idea, my engine compartment could use some shine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in