Engine will not start - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Engine will not start

'94 LX 3.8L V6
It has gas in it
New fuel filter, PCV Valve, and IAC (Idle Air Control valve)
About 2 months old: Autolite wires, Autolite double platinum plugs, rotor and cap.
What I've tried: Cleaned the ignition coil. Pulled wire from #4 spark plug and attached one of the old spark plugs to it and held it against alternator for ground and saw a spark when trying to turn the engine over. The starter does run, engine cranks over but will not run... cleaned throttle body and sprayed carb cleaner into it and tried to start the motor, still does not run. Checked to make sure all wires have good connection, all hoses properly attached...
Any suggestions?? what could possibly be the problem?? I was going about 70 on the highway when it just stalled and hasnt started since then. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 10:56 PM

If it wont start with carb cleaner or other flamable's sprayed in the intake, there must be either a spark or compression problem, provided its getting air. Does it sputter with carb cleaner? I would check compression first, to rule out big stuff. Then maybe check the grounds to the block itself. Could be timing chain slipped or something, compression check should help you determine that. I lost a timing chain once, same symptoms, going 65 and it just cut out. Even with a blown HG, my old engine would sputter and start up for a few seconds when primed.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 01:32 AM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

I had that same problem once. my cam shaft snapped in half. hope that didn't happen to you. It's a pretty rare coinkydink.
-Thomas

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 05:08 PM
5th Gear Poster

i had the same problem as well...

mine was my timing chain slipped and knocked my timming off. a good way to tell is turning the balancer with a long ratchet and see how much play you have, if there is alot and you can kind of hear a clink or something, then you might have slipped a tooth.

i changed all of those things and had air, fuel, and fire.

Solid Black 1987 T-bird 5.0
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

I just got it back from the mechanic... The rotor and cap were burned up. I'm gonna go back to Advance Auto where I got them from and get my money back and also see if they will pay for what it cost to have the mechanic fix it. Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate all the helpful people.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-03-2003, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Well.. It drove to work just fine this morning.. but about half way home it almost felt like one cylinder was missing... I could push the gas pedal to the floor and it would barely accelerate from a stop. When i got home i got out and could immediately smell something funny, and i felt a wave of heat from under the car. I popped the hood (it was dark outside) and it was unusually warm under the hood and I instantly noticed that the filter box for the intake was not clamped together. I'll have to go back to the shop and see what they will do, they should have some kind of warranty on their work, and it was their fault they didnt put the intake box back together.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-03-2003, 10:58 PM

Funny smells+lots of heat+lack of power dont equal your intake box not being clamped on correctly. Ive left the MAF unplugged before and it throws an instant code. Your symptoms are sounding more and more like a head gasket......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in