cooling system part#'s?? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2003, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

cooling system part#'s??

Ive just become the proud owner of an SC. However I dont own a decent repair manual. After replacing the radiator cap that Jiffy Lube told me was bad, a coolant line burst. Guess Jiffy Lube was right. this line is on top of the motor to the left of the sc itis part rubber and part metal with a sensor of some kind on the metal piece. My question is what is it , and does any body know the factory part #?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 03:02 AM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Sorry I don't have a number for you, but I have a question for you. How long did you drive the car after that thing burst? over heating the engine can cause some big problems.
-Thomas

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 01:12 PM
Trumpeter Extraordinaire

Are you able to post a photo of this part?

Here's a 'blow-up' diagram of the SC engine. Check if the hose you're addressing is in the red rectangle. If so, it's called a water hose connection, and the sensor is the water temperature indicator sender unit. I checked here, but found no number for that part...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

I dont have a camera. Its hard to tell if thats the right part in the diagram. What you're telling me it is, is the same thing that a local Ford dealer said today. He told me that if its the part that i need(we talked by phone) it will have to be ordered. And for the low measly price of 114.00 and change my Bird will fly again! As I hung up the phone I noticed the Yellow Pages ad for a radiator shop that has a good rep here in town. They dont sell the part but the guy said that they might be abble to rebuild it. What do you think of that route? it would only cost around 40 bucks or so.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Thomas
Sorry I don't have a number for you, but I have a question for you. How long did you drive the car after that thing burst? over heating the engine can cause some big problems.
-Thomas
Inever drove it far enough to overheat. I've already researched enough to know how easy it is to blow the heads. Thanx for the warning tho.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 12:38 AM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

where there any metal parts broken? 114 is a damn lot of money, check with an auto parts store.
-Thomas

EDIT: You might have better luck explaining that part you broke in the supercoupe forum. They're more familiar with the engine.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

The part that broke was the rubber hose part. Thats why Im hoping that the radiator shop can rebuild it. Ill find out tomorrow(Sat)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 02:22 AM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

napa sells those hoses for like 20 bucks. ford dealerships are such rip offs.
-Thomas

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

In reference to Ironchopz diagram, this part is located in the lower left corner between the # flags 178, 179, & 210. its bracketed to the exhuast manifold. Its too bad I gave up cursing, because i could use the art while trying to get to that bracket
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 12:55 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

OOOOH that's the heater hose! You can just go to a shop with that hose and they can give you a piece of hose the same size and length and you can bolt it on. It doesn't have to be molded, you can just use a straight piece and it'll bend. It'll cost like $1.00
-Thomas

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Mac's Radiator cut the fitting, gave me a 90 degree piece of hose and two hose clamps for 12.50. Took less time than it did to take the piece off the car.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2003, 04:28 AM
PostWhore

Three cheers for Mac's Radiator!

I agree about Ford part prices ... RIPOFFs! I tore the fuel filler vent hose removing my gas tank. Ford would only sell that in a package with the main filler hose, for like $90. No local parts stores carry fuel-resistant hose in that size. (Like, how rare is that? Come on!) So, I bought a $3 piece of fuel-resistant hose from a marine supply store online and paid $10 shipping+handling to get it here. Ridiculous, but still better than any of my other options!

-------------------

Steve

Owner, 1990 Thunderbird SC, white w/ gray cloth
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Thomas, Iron Chopz
Thanx for the advice and support on my problem. It's good to know that there is a resource for anything i might not know. Due to some family drama recently, I can no longer go to my brother-in-law. To bad because he has probably forgotten more than I will ever learn. Anyway thanx again for the help. BTW this car was financed so if the hg's go their covered!!! good to have on a ten year old car.
seeya around

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in