Fuel system problems on 91 3.8L.... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Fuel system problems on 91 3.8L....

Ok were tryin to fix my buddies 91 tbird, we are pretty sure it something wrong with the fuel pump. I read in the haynes manual that you can test the fuel pump using the diagnostic test connector, however it doesnt say where this thing is located. Anyone able to tell me where to find it on this model? Also if we end up having to drop the tank to replace the fuel pump, does the exhaust have to removed and is there any other problems we might run into? Thanks for any help!

Greg

Ps sorry if this has already been posted we are really in a hurry tryin to get as much done as we can tonight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 05:37 PM

How does the fuel pump sound, when you turn the key to the 'on' position? If it emits a strong buzz, it's fully functional. Otherwise, it could be on it's way out. As far as the fuel pump removal - I'm not familiar with the gas tank style of '89-'91 Birds, but I do believe you have to drop the exhaust.

Otherwise, I have a question for you. How many miles are on the car? If the car is around 100K - 150K+, the pump is probably on it's way out.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

We got the fuel filter out and yes we did have to remove the exhaust. It wasnt the most fun thing, but unlike other car operations we didnt run into any problems we didnt expect, which i didnt expect that lol. We tested the pump after removing it and it didnt work at first, but after playing around a bit by shaking it and tapping it, it started running. We tested everything else and there is definetely power making it to the pump when the car is on. Its just odd that it started working again after we toyed with it, but still we are gonna replace it because it will probably seize up again. Thanks for the help.

Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 11:06 PM

Anytime.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 12:03 AM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

I had a similar problem on my 90 lincoln towncar (5.0). It would NOT start but it would turn over. I listened and the fuel pump made no noise whatsoever. I had a friend turn it over while I sprayed starter fluid into the throttle body and it fired right up, and the pump started working again and making it's normal buzzing noise. Kinda odd. But you might try that if it ever happens agani, just to "jump start" the pump.
-Thomas

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in