Anyone interested in a turbo kit for the Thunderbird 3.8? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Exclamation Anyone interested in a turbo kit for the Thunderbird 3.8?

Hello all! I am the notorious DIRTYBIRD91 from the SCCOA and I have news.

A fellow SC'er (turbospeed) from the SCCOA contacted a manufacterer of Turbo's, to see if he would be interested in fabricating a kit for our 3.8's. I decided to get with Tom Berry from http://www.turbochargedpower.com/Tu...s%20Blowers.htm
and we have decided to go forward with a kit for both the SC and the base model 3.8 LX Thunderbirds.
Tom Berry will be posting on this forum if you have any questions he will be glad to help out. He is our newest member here and he posts under the login "TURBOCHARGED"
I have arranged to have one of my SC's, a 1991 Thunderbird SC shipped across the country to Roswell ,New Mexico where Tom will start the process in his factory. To start the process Tom will be fabricating the exhaust headers necessary for a turbo, but first he will be having a custom intake manifold made by a fellow contractor. This system will be based around a "stand alone" computer that will be designed for our cars to replace the ford unit. This kit will also be tuned by Tom's partener located in Albequrque NM. I know I spelled that wrong!
I have volunteered for this project in my quest to push our 3.8 package further. I will be investing my own money (4-5K). I hope to have this project completed by this summer so that we ALL can benifit from the kit.
This news has been met with a positive reaction from most over at SCCOA, and I hope you guys will appreciate my effort.
I know the first questions will be asking me "why I want to replace the supercharger?" I will also get mixed feelings about the car no longer being an SC. The answer to these questions are simple. "POTENTIAL" I believe that Tom has offered to take our cars to the next level and I hope you guys can respect our quest.

Cheers!
Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 12:30 AM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Well hopefully you won't get the BS remarks here that you have on sccoa. But I'd just like to say I'm excited to see the turnout and I'm really interested in the kit when it's all finished.
-Thomas

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner
post #3 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Cool

Thanks bunches Thomas!

I think this will be BIG step forward for all of us! I really appreciate you posting on the SCCOA. I think it woke up some people. I look forward to discussing this with you anytmime you have a question about this project.
We will be pressing forward with this very soon!

Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 01:48 PM
TCCoA Bachelor Club Pres.

Garage
Yeah, I must say, though it's a lowly N/A V6 here, I am pumped to see how this goes, maybe it will be able to give some more NA guys an edge on those V8's and SC's! I didn't have a chance to finish all the posts on SCCoA, but I am gonna, it was gettin pretty damn stupid, well, ok, just Stocker89, but hey, whatever works for that kid.

-Kurt
1995 Mercury Cougar XR7
4.6L Bone Stock.
Undergoing a light refurbish
post #5 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 06:46 PM

I will definitely be watching this process with interest, keep us posted about the progress.
post #6 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-21-2003, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Thumbs up

Thanks guys!
I am glad to hear the positive attitude that this club has to offer. Tom Berry is working very hard on some ideas on how to keep the cost down on the kit. Also on how to squeeze as much hp/torque out of a stock N/A 3.8 as possible while keeping options such as p/s, a/c, ect. This way we can all benifit (both SC and non-SC 3.8)

I will be keeping you guys informed, and hopefully we will have the "turbo" as an option sometime next summer!

We have about 99% interest over at SCCOA in this project. There will always be a few bad apples nomatter what you try to accomplish these days. When everything works out and statistics are on paper they will likely be the first ones to come sniffing around.

I for one can hardly wait to fit this kit on a N/A 3.8 Thunderbird. It will be VERY interesting to see a power adder on one. We all know what the SC's can do, but I think the turbo option has even more potential.

Cheers!

Frank
post #7 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 10:18 AM
Astrophysicist / PostWhore

HP Performance is legit. They are high quality and the performance of their turbo kits is phenomenal. I've seen their work on many a Mustang here in town. I've ridden in Anthony Dickson's '93 Cobra and will be getting a ride in Jim Napier's '03 Shinoda BOSS the next time I see him after his son gets out of the hospital (respiratory illness). See the Customer Cars section on the HP Performance site to see the vehicles I'm talking about. I have had a link in my signature for a few months now ... always gotta support the people you love.

Anyway, if you all have to bring it up to ABQ to get it tuned on a dyno, hopefully it will be at the Dyno Edge. I usually hang out up there, so definitely shoot me a PM or E-mail when the time comes. I wish you nothing but good luck with this project.

Oh, and Frank ... it's ALBUQUERQUE. Get it right damnit! Just jacking around with ya. It's a hard name to spell. There's even an 'old' way of spelling it: Alburquerque ... with an extra "r." Go figure.

Mike | RSW | THP | MF | SRTConnection |

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX V8 + 1992 Ford Mustang hatchback + 1989 Ford Mustang notchback = no where else to park at my house!

Last edited by 66dvlbrd68; 12-28-2003 at 10:33 AM.
post #8 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Talking

66dvlbrd68,

That's pretty funny man! I knew I was far off the target with that name. How far is Roswell from ALBUQUERQUE?

You will be hearing from me soon. I will be having that car shipped 2,000 miles to Roswell from here by the end of the month.

I am very curious to see what this "turbo" can do for the Supercoupe as opposed to the SC. I will inquire about Dyno Edge to see if it's the place the car will wind up. I will also keep you guys in the loop, and hopefully we can have something by this summer!

Frank B.

"dirtybird91"
post #9 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dirtybird91
66dvlbrd68,

That's pretty funny man! I knew I was far off the target with that name. How far is Roswell from ALBUQUERQUE?

You will be hearing from me soon. I will be having that car shipped 2,000 miles to Roswell from here by the end of the month.

I am very curious to see what this "turbo" can do for the Supercoupe as opposed to the SC. I will inquire about Dyno Edge to see if it's the place the car will wind up. I will also keep you guys in the loop, and hopefully we can have something by this summer!

Frank B.

"dirtybird91"
Taken from Mapquest.com:
Quote:
Roswell, NM 88202
315-D Juan Tabo Blvd Ne, Albuquerque, NM 87123-3008

Maneuvers Distance Maps

1: Start out going East on W 4TH ST toward N RICHARDSON AVE. 0.1 miles Map

2: Turn LEFT onto US-285 N/US-70 E/N MAIN ST. Continue to follow US-285 N. 139.9 miles Map

3: Turn LEFT onto YACHT CLUB DR. 0.2 miles Map

4: Merge onto I-40 W. 51.0 miles Map

5: Take the JUAN TABO BLVD. exit- exit number 166. 0.2 miles Map

6: Keep LEFT at the fork in the ramp. 0.0 miles Map

7: Turn LEFT onto JUAN TABO BLVD NE. 0.3 miles Map

8: End at 315-D JUAN TABO BLVD NE ALBUQUERQUE NM

Total Est. Time: 4 hours, 23 minutes Total Est. Distance: 192.04 miles

Your times may vary. Check your PM's.

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX V8 + 1992 Ford Mustang hatchback + 1989 Ford Mustang notchback = no where else to park at my house!

Last edited by 66dvlbrd68; 12-28-2003 at 11:36 AM.
post #10 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 11:16 AM
TCCoA Founder
Administrator

Moved to the 3.8L forum.

God Bless and Fly Low!

Sir William
TCCoA Founder

97 Thunderbird LX - Smoothed

99 Expedition Eddie Bauer

04 Grand Cherokee Overland
post #11 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 11:46 AM

I was following this thread over at SCCOA and just a few questions, someone had mentioned (either on the first page or very close to the first page) about the 96-97 bottom ends being stronger than eariler year 3.8s, is there any truth behind that? Also with the turbo would stock internals hold up under the boost or would there be a need for forged parts?
post #12 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 01:02 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to PJ-4.2L
I don't understand the need for a standalone engine management system. Why not just a good tune and chip from one of the "supported" chip burners?

PJ

PJ- 4.2L -
" 'DIY' was not meant for women."
post #13 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 01:33 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChitownLX
I was following this thread over at SCCOA and just a few questions, someone had mentioned (either on the first page or very close to the first page) about the 96-97 bottom ends being stronger than eariler year 3.8s, is there any truth behind that? Also with the turbo would stock internals hold up under the boost or would there be a need for forged parts?
I know they are stronger but I'm not exactly sure what about them is stronger. I think I heard someone mention the sc block being used but not 100% sure.

The kit will be made for a stock car with a safe amount of boost and then you will be able to turn it up or upgrade it as you wish with different parts depending on how much you want and how much your engine is built for. The cool thing about turbos is their tunability. With a boost controller you can turn boost up and down with the press of a button.

-Thomas

post #14 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 01:58 PM

96+ n/a's have stronger pistons but the rods "look" weaker than the older N/A rods. Still 8psi would be plenty safe on a stock N/A and it would probibly be faster than a stock Supercoupe. At the same boost level the turbo kit SHOULD out perform the M90 supercharger by atleast 30-40rwhp.
post #15 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by ChitownLX
This is a good question, and I am sure that Tom Berry will appear on this tread soon to explain some of this. The aggreement between myself and Tom Berry is that my car (Supercoupe) must arrive to him totally "stock" so that we can make a kit based on the stock motor. This way everyone with a 3.8L bird can benifit from the kit. Upgrades will be an option for people with the forged pistons and that sort of thing, but the stock 3.8's will easily handle the kit. The base 3.8L likely has weaker rods, but this will not be an issue with the base kit.

Frank
post #16 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by PJ-4.2L
I don't understand the need for a standalone engine management system. Why not just a good tune and chip from one of the "supported" chip burners?

PJ
Tom Berry has been talking about which way he will pursue this with our cars, and I'm sure he will take the most reasonable approach. He has to talk to some of his resources to find the best route.
There has been mention of a "standalone" computer to replace the Ford unit if that becomes the best route. His company has done many Mustangs and I believe that they use the same computer as our T-birds, so he has an insight on this i'm sure.

Frank B.
Dirtybird91
post #17 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rancherlee
At the same boost level the turbo kit SHOULD out perform the M90 supercharger by atleast 30-40rwhp.
WILL outperform ... if tuned right

HotRod Magazine did a test of superchargers vs. a non intercooled HP turbo kit (same engine throughout). It made more power at equal boost. Just the nature of the turbocharger (more efficient = more power to the ground)

(not a fair comparison to a 3.8L, but a comparison to read nonetheless)

post #18 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Wow! That is really impressive, but there are some over at SCCOA that would rather fight than to believe that. At this point I am in a situation that will only be resolved by proving my case at the track.

Even after the turbo kit works out there is serious question as to whether it will be considered on the SCCOA's fastest list.
Thier rules don't seem to permit the car as legit.

I am not really concerned with the list, but I am irritated about the guys who don't think my Supercoupe is still a Supercoupe after a turbo kit is installed.

Frank
post #19 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dirtybird91
Wow! That is really impressive, but there are some over at SCCOA that would rather fight than to believe that. At this point I am in a situation that will only be resolved by proving my case at the track.

Even after the turbo kit works out there is serious question as to whether it will be considered on the SCCOA's fastest list.
Thier rules don't seem to permit the car as legit.

I am not really concerned with the list, but I am irritated about the guys who don't think my Supercoupe is still a Supercoupe after a turbo kit is installed.

Frank
Engine is still the same, just has a different intake (manifold) and a really interesting
"muffler."

If you do not have one already, I suggest getting a straight through muffler (Borla XS, Magnaflow, Dynomax). You wanna make sure your exhaust is nice and free flowing, so the boost levels do not get too crazy.

They/You decided on a turbo yet, or they/you waiting to get measurements of how/where it's going to be placed to choose a turbo? Getting a custom made Front Mount InterCooler (FMIC) from HP, or you going to blow warmer air for a bit?

Chris has been dyno testing a '98 Cobra with a fun little device called a KillerChiller. Interesting device. Probably blow the budget up ...

post #20 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Talking

I will be letting Tom Berry work out all the details of the "turbo kit" in his shop. I will show up with my checkbook and cross my fingers....

Frank
post #21 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 66dvlbrd68
HP Performance is legit. They are high quality and the performance of their turbo kits is phenomenal. I've seen their work on many a Mustang here in town. I've ridden in Anthony Dickson's '93 Cobra and will be getting a ride in Jim Napier's '03 Shinoda BOSS the next time I see him after his son gets out of the hospital (respiratory illness). See the Customer Cars section on the HP Performance site to see the vehicles I'm talking about. I have had a link in my signature for a few months now ... always gotta support the people you love.
Those are all really cool mustangs but there is one CIVIC there too! It has a whopping 185 hp on boost. Traitors! JK .
post #22 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt S.

Those are all really cool mustangs but there is one CIVIC there too! It has a whopping 185 hp on boost. Traitors! JK .
Gotta do performance for EVERYONE. They specialize in the blue oval, but obviously have branched out to keep afloat. Thought about providing my girlfriend's '01 5.2L Ram to them for a turbo kit, but we do not have the $$$ for everything we want to do to our vehicles (her truck, her 2.2L subaru, my car).

The GM FWD turbo is interesting. They all better invest in the upgraded GTP transaxle, lest they be puking tranny fluid.

That Civic doesn't look great, but at least it performs, rather than makes noise and sits there.

post #23 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 05:54 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Man the more I look at Tom's website the more can't wait to see that kit made and finished. I wanna have my picture up there of my car poppin a wheely at the track
-Thomas

post #24 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 08:43 PM
Cougar Pilot

*slaps Thomas* I'll have my picture on a C-Note before your wimpy V-6 does a wheelie!

Thanks for scanning and posting that 66dvlbrd68! Good reading material for sure.
post #25 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 09:07 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Sounds intresting, but my concern is with older N/A 3.8's. We all know about the headgasket problems, will they take that into consideration during the design process. If this comes about, I would love to have one on my 88. If not, I guess I'll go back to plan A...396 stroker in the 88.

1988 Cougar 3.8
1995 40th Anniversary Edition 4.6
post #26 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 09:39 PM

about the headgaskets , as with any performance upgrade you will have to prepare you car for it , the headgaskets in a early engine cabn de easily done with about 300-400dlls with felpro gaskets and arp studs.
post #27 of 82 (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 11:55 PM

dirtybird91's car is on its way to New Mexico and a turbocharged future! We are excited about getting started on this turbo project for the SC and will keep everyone posted.
post #28 of 82 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Turbocharged
dirtybird91's car is on its way to New Mexico and a turbocharged future! We are excited about getting started on this turbo project for the SC and will keep everyone posted.
Very cool.

Will this vehicle be making a few pulls up here in ABQ? If so, at Speed Dreams, or at Dyno Edge? Chris @ Dyno Edge told me he has some tuning software coming in soon ... might be a good test to tune up this new turbo birdie, but the stand alone unit might be the best way. This is why you guys are the experts.

I'll be very interested to see what you all come up with. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Please keep things updated here ...

post #29 of 82 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 01:24 AM

Yes, we'll be tuning the car with Chris at the Dyno Edge in Albuquerque. Watch the forum for test dates and/or results or tune in to our website at:

www.turbochargedpower.com

where we will be posting info on this project and others in the works.
post #30 of 82 (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Talking

Guys this has me pretty much "pumped up"! I can hardly sleep at night! Tom and I will be keeping you guys in the loop soon!

DIRTYBIRD91

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in