Another good news/bad news update.
I got the waterpump installed and everything buttoned back up. Started the car and no leaks - initially.
Yep, the t-stadt started leaking.
I tried real hard to install it properly, by obviously not hard enough. So I went over to the e-tools site and see that the thermostadt is actually designed to be turned and locked into the thermostadt housing prior to installing the gasket and remounting the housing. Man, I hate rework, but at least this should be an easy fix.
On top of that little snafu, while I was working on the car, I noticed a couple of kludged together "fittings" on both of the transmission coolant lines that are damp. They are both loose and I turned them by hand to see if I could tighten them up a bit. [Steve Martin] BUT NOOOoooo .... [/Steve Martin]. They drip now. I have already had the trans rebuilt, so this car isn't going anywhere until I fix the lines. Since the fittings have been crimped onto the lines, I can't help but wonder who did this type of cluster fix.
Anyway, big mike, I used a gasket remover to loosen up the gasket. Although I can't help but wonder if a torch may have been quicker.
Thanks again for your help.
Also, this car is going to sit until after Christmas because it sure isn't helping to get me into the Christmas spirit.
Merry Christmas everyone.