Head Gaskets Out I Think - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2004, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Head Gaskets Out I Think

Ok, after reading all the past posts on this subject. I believe mine are going or at least weak and getting ready to go the rest of the way.

So far it has been doing the temp gauge going from hot to cold, and of course my heater goes in and out at the same time.

It is not blowing white smoke, and there is no oil in the antifreeze or antifreeze in the oil.
But it has been pushing the antifreeze back out the overflow bottle. When I have it running I can see very faint signs of bubbles in the radiator, and there is a slight hint of fuel smell to the antifreeze.
So please tell me before I tear this down that I am on the right track here???? I have already bought the kit for it, with new head bolts. Getting ready to tear it apart tomarrow. So I guess we will find out then. Wish me luck,,,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2004, 07:00 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

sounds like the fire ring got into a cooling passage, but that would normally cause white smoke. Have you had someone follow you on the highway and have them watch your exhaust while you give it some gas? That would be the best way to tell. Or does your coolant have exhaust gas coming out of it with the bubbles? Could just be air in the cooling system. Try bleeding the cooling system.
-Thomas

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2004, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

I havnt had anyone follow me to see, but it is hard to tell right now about smoke, because it is around 13 degrees here right now, so everything has steam coming from it.
Main problem came Monday when I tried to start it and it wouldnt. I had to change the plugs to get it to start, they were soaked, it has a noticable miss to it now also. I went to start it yesturday and it wont start again. So I am thinking it is soaking a plug to much to start.

I spent 2 hours trying to bleed the air out, to no avail. I went through 2 gallons of antifreeze and never got it out. Seemed as soon as I thought I had it, the air came right back to the system. Agian I cant say about exhust coming out of the radiator, because everything was steaming that day. Now the car wont start so I cant check. Thanks for the reply!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2004, 11:50 PM
The Parts Guy

If the plugs were soaked in antifreeze, I would quit trying to start the car immediately. It doesn't take much antifreeze in one cylinder to hydro-lock the engine. And that is when stuff like this happens:

When you recently tried to start the car, did it crank over and not fire, or did it not crank at all? If the crankshaft won't turn, it is likely hydro-locked.

-Rod

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Ouch!!!!! Those dont look real good.

No mine will crank, and feel like it is trying to start, but just wont. But this morning it actually started, but was missing real bad. Just like it was not hitting on a couple of cylinders.

I think I am going to go ahead and tear it down, the worst that I will find is that I did it all for nothing. But maybe I will get lucky and find out that it does have a bad gasket.

Ill keep you all posted to what I find or dont find. Thanks for the imput on this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Well it is confirmed, blown head gasket on the passenger side. As soon as I pulled the intake I could see the chocolate milk shake looking oil. I dont know why it didnt show up on the dip stick yet or even on the oil cap. I am guessing it didnt run long enough after it happened. Im not sure really. So now I need to finish the tear down and see how bad it all is.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 06:02 PM
The Parts Guy

That connecting rod came from the engine that was in my 94 Splitport LX when I bought the car. The previous owner blew the headgasket and continued to drive the car until it wouldn't crank one day. They towed it to a shop which replaced the gaskets. After the headgaskets were replaced, the car actually ran fine, but it had a slight knock (sounded like a spun rod bearing). None of this really mattered to me, I just bought the car for the body and interior, I had a splitport 3.8L in my shop that needed a home.

-Rod

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in