TCCoA Forums banner

RPM drop...

515 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Thomas 
#1 ·
when i'm driving, and i step on the brake to slow down, the rpms drop to just above 500, and when i do this and take a slow turn, they do the same, it doesn't do it every time, but most of the time. and even a couple of times while taking a turn, it seems as tho its goin to stall but it doesn't. also, when the car is idling, the rpms go up and down like 100rpms, but like every 5 minutes, they droip, the car shudders, and then they come back up. anyone no if this is some kind of sensor? maybe...

#2 ·
could be a sensor. But my guess is a vacuum hose. Have you let the car idle and looked in the engine bay? Do that and listen for any kind of vacuum leak or whistling. Also check for loose, disconnected, broken, or cracked vaccuum hoses. Since brakes are vacuum boosted this is what makes me think it's a hose. When you use the breaks vacuum is used up and it may not show up until you brake, or every other so often like you described. Could possibly be an EGR problem. with the sensor, or with the vacuum hose on the sensor. Have a friend hit the brake pedal while you're looking at the engine and see if you can see anything then. I'm just shooting in the dark here but trying to help as much as I can.
-Thomas

#3 ·
yea, a vacuum leak is what i thought it might be. but i have yet to listen for it. someone i know thought it might be a sensor so thats why i mentioned it. thanx

#4 ·
i've got a quick question. i just hooked the car up to an eec code reader. it said the egr wasn't opening properly, could this be caused by a vacuum leak?

#5 ·
SCsmo said:
i've got a quick question. i just hooked the car up to an eec code reader. it said the egr wasn't opening properly, could this be caused by a vacuum leak?
Could be a vacuum leak, could be a bad valve, could be a bad sensor.

Check the vacuum hose on the EGR sensor and valve. The sensor is a little gray box right by the valve and it's attached to a black bracket. the hose plugs into the sensor right underneath. check the entire hose and track it back to where it stops. Then check the valve hose. it's a green hose that plugs into the top of the valve (UFO looking thing) and trace it back to the place it stops in the same way.

-Thomas

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.