Making Donuts - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

Making Donuts

wassap,

im making a movie with my friends, and its a car movie. My 96 v6 is gonna be in it. I wanted to do some donuts, or skids in the movie. Ive gone to open roads/lots, stopped. Turned the wheel all the way left, and accelerated quiet a bit. Car got velocity, and u can feel the tail swing, i throw the wheel right and a little drift. Im scared about donuts tho. Can anything go wrong with the car? damage? WHats the right way to perform this safely, and look good as hell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 02:39 AM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by baseer
wassap,

im making a movie with my friends, and its a car movie. My 96 v6 is gonna be in it. I wanted to do some donuts, or skids in the movie. Ive gone to open roads/lots, stopped. Turned the wheel all the way left, and accelerated quiet a bit. Car got velocity, and u can feel the tail swing, i throw the wheel right and a little drift. Im scared about donuts tho. Can anything go wrong with the car? damage? WHats the right way to perform this safely, and look good as hell.
There is no safe way to do donuts. There's always the risk of hurting either the outside of your car or something internal. Sometimes event eh engine or transmission. It causes wear on the car no matter what. But the only way to do a good donut on a 3.8 is to find an icey parking lot, or a parking lot with a nice thin top layer of gravel.

Now if you really want to do a donut, get some 3.73 trac-lok rear differential and put some bald tires on.

-Thomas

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 03:04 AM Thread Starter

yea. its seems too risky. I dont want to hurt my car.

But i did do this a few times.

Car stopped, turn wheel left. Apply pressure to gas, the car turns and when its about to make the sharp turn, it skids a little, i throw the wheels right.. I guese its a little drift. VERY EXITTING. I cant wait to get it on tape with my movie.

(MOVIE) THe movie is about a guy, with a 98 black prelude. And the car, is a machine, it talks n stuff. Like night rider. Its a beast, but looks stock. The movie is called "sleeper"

the prelude and the driver get in a fight. He has to race my in my bird tho. The prelude loses on purpose. Tbird guy gets the pink slip to the prelude. prelude guy ditches the tbird guy, and makes a run for it. CHASE SCENE.

he thinks hes gotton away, when i come up slowly.. nasty fight... eventually the prelude runs over me..... its gonna look alot better than how it sounds, with editing, music, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 10:16 AM

Have you tried turning off traction control? That will help you get true tire spin instead of one that is restricted since the T/C puts a limiter on rpms when you break traction.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 07:44 PM
Pedal Faster

Send a message via AIM to Josh_Keady
I'm not advocating it, but I've had good luck with steering hard almost to lock, giving it some throttle so the car turns sharp and as you feel the rear start to come around, apply a lot of brake and a lot more throttle to break traction fully. Then you can start letting off the brake and let the rear carry itself around.

It's super easy to do 'em on gravel and wet asphalt. But like Thomas said, it's hard on stuff. Just make sure there's nothing that's going to be near the car, no potholes, no speed bumps, no small animals and children, you know ;-)

Josh Keady

1994 Super Coupe ('93 5.0L swap), 1990 Tbird 3.8L, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1972 F-100 SportCustom 4x4, 1970 Chevy Custom Camper / 20
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 03:07 AM Thread Starter

I went behind our grocery store tonight. IT had rained, and it was drizziling a little bt too. The ground was perfect.
I stopped the car, made sure everything was clear. I tured the wheel, almost all the way. I applied a little more than half gas pressure. The car turns, and at the angle, i apply alot of gas pressure. The car starts to skid like crazy to the right with the tail. I swing the wheels right, were swinging for a couple seconds, my first drift ever. I did this about 4-5 times...

FUN AS HELLL
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 04:13 AM

I was in a large lot and it was icy, so I just gave my engine some gas and then turned my wheel hard over. I did like 5 360s. It was fun, but scary as hell. Thats why I did it 3 times...lol :P
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

yea the first time i almost crapped in my pants...
i didnt expect the car to drift as much as it did.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 11:16 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Audiobahnbird
If you plan on doing impressive donuts you should never start them from a dead stop.

Please enjoy my new and improved short signature- Russ
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 12:32 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to T-bird4vr
I was whipping a sh1ty one time in first gear and I guess there was some sand on the road I didn't see and the tach pegged before I got it shifted to second. Something else to watch out for.

I miss spinning tires, the saturn isn't the same.

Julian

twin screw sc
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 01:53 PM
4th Gear Poster

One wheel burnouts are very fun, but very very hard on the rear differential. I've done plenty - and have a lot of slop in my rear diff to prove it. I think it's cool, just try not to act suprised when your looking for new gears.

1995 LX Electric Red 3.8, K&N intake, Reinhart Chip.

1965 Mustang HP289

I'm selling many 1960's Mustang and Ford parts. Have a rebuildable 289, an FMX trans, complete 67 coupe body with glass - send me PM.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 07:23 PM

I'm not trying to be a jerk but its a V6. an if you can't keep control of your V6 T-bird or cougar while doing that stuff you should drive a four banger or taking the bus. an if you would like ill show you how to drive one.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 07:57 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by T-bird4vr
I was whipping a sh1ty one time in first gear and I guess there was some sand on the road I didn't see and the tach pegged before I got it shifted to second. Something else to watch out for.

I miss spinning tires, the saturn isn't the same.
BTW that circle of rubber is still visible in the mall parking lot

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 01:58 AM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to T-bird4vr
Thomas knows what's up. I roasted them with him, from a stop if I recall correctly.

Anyway, I had an awesome dream last night that I finally got my SC back together and went through a new set of tires in a week.

It was even better than one of those girly dreams, but I think it turned into that later.

Cheers

Julian

twin screw sc
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 02:25 AM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by T-bird4vr
Thomas knows what's up. I roasted them with him, from a stop if I recall correctly.

Anyway, I had an awesome dream last night that I finally got my SC back together and went through a new set of tires in a week.

It was even better than one of those girly dreams, but I think it turned into that later.

Cheers

Yeah but I bet the TL and somewhat bald tires helped a lot. And you're modded sc engine helped too no doubt.
-Thomas

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 08:15 PM

my 3.8L has no trouble lighting them up and whipping donuts.................. nevermind the "noisy alternator" noise.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 09:53 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Hey ranch, how's your tranny?
-Thomas

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 11:18 AM

It still moves under its own power, just misses shifts .............. car is sitting in a cold non-heated garage = non work on car till spring..............

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in