New here - few questions... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

New here - few questions...

Hey guys

Within a week I might be buying a 92 Thunderbird 3.8 v6 with 128,000 miles on it for about 500 bucks. Interior and Exterior are in perfect condition. We took it to a local trusted mechanic and they came to the conclusion that the bearings on the bottom end crankshaft were going or already gone. He said that the car could last anywhere from a month to a year (yea nice ballpark figure there buddy... ) I've come here to ask do you think the cars worth it? It will be my first car and i'll need it to get through highschool or so.

Thanks for your input,

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 06:59 PM
Pedal Faster

Send a message via AIM to Josh_Keady
If you aren't up to installing a new engine (or having that one rebuilt) then skip the car. Look to spend another $1000 at least, probably more if you won't be doing any of the work yourself.

The headgaskets probably failed, dumped coolant into the oil pan, and by the time anyone did anything about it, the bearings were trashed.

Anyway you look at it, without a new motor, it's sort of a time-bomb situation.

Josh Keady

1994 Super Coupe ('93 5.0L swap), 1990 Tbird 3.8L, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1972 F-100 SportCustom 4x4, 1970 Chevy Custom Camper / 20
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Josh_Keady
If you aren't up to installing a new engine (or having that one rebuilt) then skip the car. Look to spend another $1000 at least, probably more if you won't be doing any of the work yourself.

The headgaskets probably failed, dumped coolant into the oil pan, and by the time anyone did anything about it, the bearings were trashed.

Anyway you look at it, without a new motor, it's sort of a time-bomb situation.
The previous owner replaced the headgasket so I'm not sure how that would relate to the bearings being shot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 08:22 PM
Pedal Faster

Send a message via AIM to Josh_Keady
The headgasket blows and dumps a lot of coolant into the cylinder bores, oil passages, and eventually, the oil pan. Coolant makes a lousy lubricant, and as it gets circulated through the engine oiling system, it basically allows for metal-on-metal contact with the bearings and all oiled rotating or reciprocating pieces. That equates to a bunch of trashed bearing surfaces, lifter bores, cam lobes, you name it.

No doubt that they replaced the headgaskets, but the damage was probably done by the time they had.

Josh Keady

1994 Super Coupe ('93 5.0L swap), 1990 Tbird 3.8L, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1972 F-100 SportCustom 4x4, 1970 Chevy Custom Camper / 20
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 02:23 AM
PostWhore

I would say it's a good deal, if you are prepared to spend the extra money to get it running reliably. You need to work something out with the engine ... maybe if you know someone who does engine swaps, that would help.

Also, bear in mind that at that age, a lot of wear parts may be due for a replacement, like tie rod ends, control arm/ball joints, etc.. (How do I know? I could show you plenty of receipts! )

My T-Bird just turned 15 years and about 145,000 miles, and it runs well, but it seems like there's always another minor thing to take care of. And a lot of rust, of course.

-------------------

Steve

Owner, 1990 Thunderbird SC, white w/ gray cloth
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

My one friend said that i could prolong the life of the engine if i use a higher weight oil. Would that help?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 07:12 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LPSimpsons87
My one friend said that i could prolong the life of the engine if i use a higher weight oil. Would that help?
It would still be iffy on the reliability. If you can't afford to have the car down for a while when the engine blows, then it's not worth getting. It's guaranteed for failure some time or another. Just depends on the mood the engine is in.
-Thomas

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in