Another EGR question - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Another EGR question

I replaced my egr vavle and there is 2 holes on the back of it. There is this plate that covers them both up and a screw that holds it down. When the car is running, exhaust is puffing out of it. I pulled the plate and screw off my old one and went to put it on the new one but the screw isnt the right size. Do I need this to be on there or can I leave it off. I guess there is suppose to be a sensor on there but mine didnt come with it or what? Can I weld it back on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 10:24 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

I'm a little confused about your post but I will tell you what I know about keeping or deleting the egr.

if you keep it you need the valve, sensor, and the vacuum hoses that run to both. You also need to connect the egr tube to the valve.

If you delete it you only need to take off the egr tube and plug both holes on each end, cap the hose off on the sensor, keep the hose on the valve. This way is the way to do it without buying a performance chip. It WILL throw a CE code but it doesn't hurt anything.

If you do get a performance chip for it, you take off the egr tube and cap both ends, take off the sensor and hose completely and leave the sensor harness just sitting there, take off the valve and get a delete plate that screws into the two bolt hole locations, plug the hose off at the little tree it goes to on the firewall.

Hope this helps you out some.

-Thomas

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 02:47 AM
PostWhore

I was confused too, so I went and looked at the old EGR valve I have sitting in the garage. Now I remember what you mean. You should have that hole plugged. If you leave the hole open, it probably won't do anything more than set a code, and make your EGR a little less efficient. You could weld the plate on, but I think you'd be better off going to the hardware store and finding a screw that fits. I think the plate on mine had a little post on it that fit into the hole. I'm not sure what it's for, but I think it might have been used for a sensor on certain Ford models. Not the T-Bird, however.

-------------------

Steve

Owner, 1990 Thunderbird SC, white w/ gray cloth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 11:58 PM
3rd Gear Poster

There is a nub on the little plate that goes in the hole on the egr. The nub broke off when I tried to move from the old egr to the new. Anyway, I tried to put the little plate back on without the nub and my car ran like crap. I had the cel come on and it idled really rough. So I went to my ford dealer and bought a new little plate for about $10 bucks. Now I remember! I even tried to seal the hole with jbweld but that didn't work. And I doubt welding will work on the cast iron.
Perch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in