Help!!! wont start - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Help!!! wont start

Ran fine last night parked it, then this morning it wont start. IT will crank over and sputter maybe a cylinder or 2, thats it. The battery seems fine (less than a year) as I have been cranking it for Appox 10 minutes. I did a head gasket over the summer and havent seen any check engine lights. I got at least a half a tank, and it is warmer today than it has ben all month... Any ideas? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 02:17 AM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

starter.

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 03:39 AM
Chapter Director Coordinator

all the starter does is crank the engine right??? if starter won't crank, first check battery has right charge, then check starter.. then check alternator for being p.o.s.

you try jumping it??

make sure all yer wires are connected tightly, etc etc..

i'd try jumpin it first...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Well thanks for the advice. But it seems to be weak spark, not the starter.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 01:26 PM
Motorboatin' SOB
Headlight Cleaning Guru

Send a message via AIM to big mike
one time my bird wouldnt start. couldnt jump start it, engine wouldnt turn over, it would just click when you turn the key. replaced the bad battery, still wouldnt start, replaced starter, fired right up. if its not the starter, you may be needing a tune up.

2014 GT
1990 300ZX TT
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 02:25 PM
Pedal Faster

Send a message via AIM to Josh_Keady
Let's all step back and read this thing real quick, guys...

Quote:
IT will crank over and sputter maybe a cylinder or 2, thats it.
Quote:
The battery seems fine (less than a year)
Quote:
I have been cranking it for Appox 10 minutes
Considering that it turns over just fine and the battery has enough juice to crank it for 10 minutes, it doesn't sound like the starter or battery to me

Pull a couple of spark plugs from each side of the motor and see what they look like. Ground a plug against the block and see if you get any fire when cranking.

Good luck!

Josh Keady

1994 Super Coupe ('93 5.0L swap), 1990 Tbird 3.8L, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1972 F-100 SportCustom 4x4, 1970 Chevy Custom Camper / 20
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 03:49 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

When my starter went out at the track (the 8 other mner's there can vouch) my car cranked and cranked and did not start. I ran to the next town over where there was an Autozone (I know I'm sorry I've repented) and got a new starter, bolted it in quick, and the car started right up. I even fit in two runs before the track closed.
-Thomas

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 07:22 PM
Pedal Faster

Send a message via AIM to Josh_Keady
But his car starts and runs poorly

Josh Keady

1994 Super Coupe ('93 5.0L swap), 1990 Tbird 3.8L, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1972 F-100 SportCustom 4x4, 1970 Chevy Custom Camper / 20
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 07:46 PM

my car is doing the exact same thing yours is, im about to dump this car. my codes says i have air charge temp sensor ground, i just got the damn thing back together a week ago, and now i get to tear it apart again???????hell no.

GC
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 07:47 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Josh_Keady
But his car starts and runs poorly
"Ran fine last night parked it, then this morning it wont start"

Have you checked all spark wires and ignition coil? Maybe the coil is bad.

-Thomas

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 09:03 PM

i finally figured out what my problem was, i soaked the o2's in vinegar for like 2 hours(apparently this rids them of the poisoning coolant from the blown hg's). I also went around to all the spark plug wires and the coil and made sure that they were tight. I then pulled #15 fuse cranked over the engine to clear the puter and then reinstalled the fuse. The car took a second to start back up but when it did it was pretty good. i took it on a test drive and no warning lights or nothin. hope this helps ya.

GC
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 07:18 AM

sounds like a problem I had a couple years back with a (POS) 85' ford tempo... wouldn't start, weak spark, etc. Checked the battery, replaced starter computer thingy, replaced coil, other stuff, finally found out it was a broken timing chain.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 10:51 AM

Check to see if the fuel pump is running if it is then check your fuel pressure if your fuel pressure if good, then start checking your ignition components.

Start at the spark plugs, if they are no good check the wires, then the cap then the rotor, then the coil wire then the coil now if you've checked back this far in the ignition system and there is still no spark, then I would go out on a limb and say it was the spark control module.

To check if your timimg chain is bad pull the distribitor cap off and turn the engine over if the rotor spins then the chain isn't broken but could still have jumped it's timing. Next bring your engine up to TDC on the compression stroke. Mark the position of the rotor and check it in relation to the Number one tower on the distribitor cap if the mark lines up with the tower then the chain is good if not then I would say it has jumped it's timing.

There are really only two reasons why an engine that will turn over won't start and that is fuel and fire. Or if it has fire it is getting it at the wrong time. Or if it is getting fuel it's not getting enough.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in