Im done with this - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Im done with this

im fed up with the 3.8 and i have a line on a wrecked 93 cougar with a perfect drivetrain. im going to pull the motor and drop the whole drivetrain in the ol bird. Engine, trans, driveshaft, rear, and disc brakes.

GC
Im done with the 6

Last edited by bigbird94; 01-28-2004 at 08:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 08:05 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

So you're going to convert to an AOD transmission? That's pretty interesting. I'd just swap to a 4.6 and keep the tranny. But hey it'd be cool to see a 94 5.0
-Thomas

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 08:06 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

By the way, if you want a really custom car PM jturmel. He converted his 92 sport 5.0 to a 4r70w transmission. That's the route I'd go.
-Thomas

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

i think the 94 3.8 tranny and 5.0 bolt right up to eachother. i will be swapping ALL of the drivetrain stuff so it should all come out with the harness and bolt right back up with a little fancy wiring. it shouldnt take me more than a few weekends.

GC
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bigbird94
i think the 94 3.8 tranny and 5.0 bolt right up to eachother. i will be swapping ALL of the drivetrain stuff so it should all come out with the harness and bolt right back up with a little fancy wiring. it shouldnt take me more than a few weekends.

GC
nope.. the older (pre 94) AOD's bolted up to the 5.0's. none of the mn12 4r70w's will bolt up to the 5.0.

The AOD will work, he wasnt saying that...its just not as good of a transmission.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 10:07 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Well Wes, IMO the stock AOD is way better than the stock 4R70W that came in mn12's. That's not to say one or the other can't be better with a beefed and built up transmission. Anyway, the 4R70W WILL bolt upto your 5.0. The flex plates should be the same bolt pattern but not positive. I know it IS possible though. BUT it will not simply bolt up and plug in. That is just not how it works. There are three ways of looking at it:

You could use the 5.0 computer but it is not programmed for the electronic 4r70w transmission.

You could use the 3.8 computer which is programmed for the 4r70w transmission but it would NOT work with the 5.0 motor.

get a computer and all engine/transmission wiring from a 1995 Mustang GT. The 95's had a 5.0L engine with an AOD/E transmission which was electronically controlled and somwhat identical to the 4r70w and with a performance chip from one of the know-how guys, ie: Dennis Reinhart, Apten-US, it will run properly.

This engien swap you're attempting is a clash of two different worlds. This is why it's so complicated.

-Thomas

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 10:20 PM

yeah..it will bolt up..im an idiot
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 11:33 PM
5th Gear Poster

Wouldn't swapping bellhousings solve the swapping problem. also, the mount for the trany and teh drive shaft length will probably also need to be modified. But im just guesing...

Solid Black 1987 T-bird 5.0
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

wait, so why is this so complicated? I cant pull the whole harness and all the driveline and swap it in???? it doesnt sound so complicated and my engine builder said it can be done in one or two weekends. I trust his judgement as he has done this before. not trying to be mean to any of you guys, you all know ALOT of stuff too.i need some sleep, got schoo tomorrow, err today,err in afew hours, im gone
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZz

GC
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 11:47 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by anomnity
Wouldn't swapping bellhousings solve the swapping problem. also, the mount for the trany and teh drive shaft length will probably also need to be modified. But im just guesing...
Weswing corrected himself, the bellhousing are the same like I stated. Another thing I thought about, is that the 4r70w from the v6 would not hold upto the 5.0.

Yup, the AOD and 4r70w driveshafts are a different length.

Quote:
Originally posted by bigbird94
wait, so why is this so complicated? I cant pull the whole harness and all the driveline and swap it in???? it doesnt sound so complicated and my engine builder said it can be done in one or two weekends. I trust his judgement as he has done this before. not trying to be mean to any of you guys, you all know ALOT of stuff too.i need some sleep, got schoo tomorrow, err today,err in afew hours, im gone
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZz

GC
Well yes, you can swap in the ENTIRE drivetrain. like, engine to halfshafts. Pretty much everything. And the entire wiring harness with computer. If you really want to go through all of that then go for it. It's deffinetely possible, but it will not just be "a few weekends." I was just telling you all of your options.

-Thomas

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 01:49 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to TBird232ci
Quote:
The flex plates should be the same bolt pattern but not positive. I know it IS possible though.
the bolt pattern should be the same, but you might have to worry about the imbalance and the torque conveter mounting
Quote:
You could use the 3.8 computer which is programmed for the 4r70w transmission but it would NOT work with the 5.0 motor.
isnt it possible to get a stand alone computer for the 4r70w?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 02:03 AM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TBird232ci

the bolt pattern should be the same, but you might have to worry about the imbalance and the torque conveter mounting

isnt it possible to get a stand alone computer for the 4r70w?
the TC will mount that's nothing to worry about. And I think a standalone computer is more work than he's looking for.
-Thomas

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

yep definatly more work and $$ than i am willing to invest at this time. I know that the whole swap is going to take some finess but i am only 16 and i got alot of time on my hands, and friends willing to help me on this project. I also got 2 hydraulic lifts at my auto shop class that i can use when i need them. Ill probobly do the initial swap of major componants there and then use my car trailer to transport the cars and guts back and forth. ill get it done and maybey sometine you guys will see it. Im hoping to be able to part out the old engine and the intereor(sp) of the cat and the rest of the stuff i dont want. A new semester and already a reaserch paper ahhahhhahahah talk to you guys later

GC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in