Maintenance question - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

Maintenance question

Here's the deal. I've recently had a 'new' engine put into my car. I probably shouldn't say new, more along the lines of different. Considering I don't have a garage to work on my car in, I had to have a mechanic do it. I will never let a mechanic work on my car again... ever. He said he replaced the tranny fluid (which is something I already did), but he didn't say what kind. He had the wrong PCV on my car. The vacuum hoses were all messed up and so on.

My odometer doesn't work, so I'm guessing it's been about 1500 miles since the engine was replaced. I was thinking of running some kind of engine flush in the motor to finish getting all the crap out it accumulated over the time span it was sitting on a shelf. What is your guys thought on engine flush treatments? And do any of you have any recommendations?

Thanks as always.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 11:40 AM
Motorboatin' SOB
Headlight Cleaning Guru

Send a message via AIM to big mike
Quote:
Originally posted by mckieed
Here's the deal. I've recently had a 'new' engine put into my car. I probably shouldn't say new, more along the lines of different. Considering I don't have a garage to work on my car in, I had to have a mechanic do it. I will never let a mechanic work on my car again... ever. He said he replaced the tranny fluid (which is something I already did), but he didn't say what kind. He had the wrong PCV on my car. The vacuum hoses were all messed up and so on.

My odometer doesn't work, so I'm guessing it's been about 1500 miles since the engine was replaced. I was thinking of running some kind of engine flush in the motor to finish getting all the crap out it accumulated over the time span it was sitting on a shelf. What is your guys thought on engine flush treatments? And do any of you have any recommendations?

Thanks as always.
what engine did you have put in?

i NEVER take my bird to a shop anymore. a shop is a last resort for me. they rip you off sometimes and the bastards do unecessary and half a$$ jobs. find a buddy with a garage and buy him a case of brew or something to return the favor after you use it. or if you have tools, do the work outside (provided its warm enough). just my .02.

the odometer can be repaired cheap, and you dont need a garage to fix it . get the correct PCV valve, and run some seafoam thru the engine via the PCV, put a can of it in the oil, and another can in the gas tank.

*waits for thomas to post AJ's seafoam promo pic *

2014 GT
1990 300ZX TT
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 05:41 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by big mike
*waits for thomas to post AJ's seafoam promo pic *
I love this picture lol.

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 08:32 PM
Sheepish

Send a message via AIM to AverageJoe Send a message via Yahoo to AverageJoe
Quote:
Originally posted by Thomas

I love this picture lol.

B Team - More skill, more results. A is only a starting point before progressing to B.

Member of the 'B-Team'. Finishing jobs the 'A-Team' can't handle.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

I just moved into this area, and I don't know anybody around here. So all the work I do is outside of my apartment. I don't have a lot of tools or anything, just the basics (wrenches and screwdrivers). I've already changed the PCV to the right one. and figured out my 'red hose' situation.

I recently drove the cat on a little trip for about 150 miles or so. On the way back I started hearing some weird sound. I posted this in the general tech if you want to check it out.

That's why I was asking this question. It's really annoying and it only does it on cold starts. It reminds me just how much MORE work I have to put into her. I've already changed the plugs, wires, distributor, router, fuel filter, tranny fluid twice (once I did it, and then again when the engine was replaced), just changed the oil again today to Mobil 1, fixed the passenger side door lock, did the brakes (I hate drums), and added stop leak to the power steering resevoir. I had a stereo but because i didn't get the driver side lock fixed somebody ripped it off. Like the door was locked but the little numeric pad is like ripped off so somebody popped it from in there and took it.

I still need to figure out what sound that is it just started making, figure out why the tranny shudders in low rpm (probably didn't use mercon V), why my check engine light is on, get either new bushings for my rear sway bar stabilizers or a new rear sway bar (depends on funds), new rotors in the front cause one is chirping due to lack of a good turn, then after that is the body work.

I only paid like 500 for the car, but I already have like another 1500 in parts and **** in it. So I guess I'm in this one for the long haul, but is it really worth all of this just to get it back to stock?

Sorry about the rant, just had to vent frustrations.

-D.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in