Rough Idle after braking at a light - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Rough Idle after braking at a light

Hey what's up everybody Im having the same problem as Justin. I have 95' T-Bird 3.8. The check engine light has come on, and now when I brake at a stop light the car will shudder. Also when I go in reverse down a hill the car will sometimes drop so far in RPM that the engine will shut off. Anytime I shift from idle, the rpm drops, and the dash flashes. Its as if the ngine shuts off for a 1/2 a second. Is it the O2 sensors??? Vaccum leak?? What should I do? The head gasket was replaced about 10,000 miles ago, and the mileage is at 146,000. I get oil changes regularly, and replaced a spark plug wire in the summer ( one was brushing against mainfold), along with all the plugs. Any advice? ALso I seem to be getting less gas mileage. I filled up the 18gallon tank and im getting about 270 Is that normal? I feel as if I was getting closer to 300. I sometimes can control this shudder if I pump the brakes when I stop a little, or start braking early. I just wanna take care of this car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 08:27 PM

1.Pull the codes. 2.Did you replace the o2 sensors when you changed the headgaskets? If not, that could be your problem.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

I never replaced the o2 sensors, that is probably the case. I noticed on my way to work once the RPM drops below 500 the car rumbles. Ill definetly pull those codes. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 07:06 PM

use Mercon V transmission fluid...

i have the same probs. And i should be chaning the fluids sometime this week.
Ill let u know how it works
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2004, 01:20 AM
PostWhore

It sounds like it could even be a problem with the transmission or torque converter. Since the 95 tranny and TC are electronically controlled, I think it would throw a code if there was a problem.

-------------------

Steve

Owner, 1990 Thunderbird SC, white w/ gray cloth
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 05:03 PM

I am having the same problem in my 94' SC. The check engine light has not come on and I also have Mercon V in my trans. I think it is a vacuum leak in my case. From what I have been told, the hose that goes to the PCV valve can cause a problem like this if has a small hole in it. If you find a solution to your problem, please post back. Good luck.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 07:01 PM

Don't forget to check your (vacuum) brake booster unit...a bad diaphram can add unmetered air and cause erratic/low idle...
Just a thought!

DR
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DRROVER
Don't forget to check your (vacuum) brake booster unit...a bad diaphram can add unmetered air and cause erratic/low idle...
Just a thought!

DR
How is this checked?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

I pulled the codes and I got 157 and 159

Those are MAF sensor codes. i unplugged the MAF sensor and drove the car down the street and back and the was no change. What should I do now? Those are the only codes being thrown at me. Should I get some Mercon V fluid? Should I clean the MAF and see what happens? Or just go to a junkyard and snatch a new one to see the results. Or should I uplug it again and drive a little bit longer. What happens if I leave the MAF unplugged and keep driving if the conditions do get better?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in