Question on fuel injectors - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2004, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Question on fuel injectors

I went to the junk yard today and got 8 fuel injecters out of a 94 t-bird 4.6 i was wondering if i could use those in my 3.8 t-bird. So will it work? What else would i need to get? I just got a new fuel pump put in about 3 - 4 months ago. I think they told me that it was the same as a mustang 4.6. I think it push about 20-25 lbs. Another question what is the difference between the 3.8 mustangs and the 3.8 tbirds. Thanx

Last edited by 89T-BirdLX; 02-19-2004 at 08:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2004, 09:11 PM
13's or Mildly Broken

Not sure on the injectors because I'm not 100% sure what 4.6L's had.

Thunderbird/Mustang V6 compatibility - I believe that most of the parts that fit on 94-98 Mustang 3.8L's will work on the 89-97 Thunderbird 3.8L. I can't think of the parts that will not work, but I know there are some. I'm sure Thomas, or someone else, can post with the ones that will not work.

And as always, if I have posted incorrect information - please correct me. I hate to keep telling people the wrong stuff.

-Andy "Melon"

1994 Thunderbird SC 3.8L Supercharged
1999 Crown Victoria P71 4.6
2000 Explorer 5.0
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2004, 11:29 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Melon
Not sure on the injectors because I'm not 100% sure what 4.6L's had.

Thunderbird/Mustang V6 compatibility - I believe that most of the parts that fit on 94-98 Mustang 3.8L's will work on the 89-97 Thunderbird 3.8L. I can't think of the parts that will not work, but I know there are some. I'm sure Thomas, or someone else, can post with the ones that will not work.

And as always, if I have posted incorrect information - please correct me. I hate to keep telling people the wrong stuff.

-Andy "Melon"
Why thank you for the kind words Andy

Things that won't work:

-Pretty much any bolt on for the 99+ mustang. Because they are split-port.
-cold air intakes
-I really can't think of anything else but I always feel the need to list 3 main things...

That's pretty much it engine wise.

4.6 injectors will work but you will also need to splice in the harnesses from the 4.6 injectors and get a chip programmed by SCT or Apten to make them work. There's really no need to upgrade unless you're making more than 220 crank horsepower though. And I doubt you're near that.

Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the 4.6 orange top injectors are 19#

-Thomas

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2004, 11:30 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

OH and the mustangs had DIS (distributorless ignition system) but I think that was only 96-98. Unsure on that.
-Thomas

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2004, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Well thanks for all the help. Yea i pulled it off a 4.6 t-bird and was just wondering. So they will work if i got a chip and toke all harness for them correct? Well i think i am above pushing 220 hp. When i raced a 4.6 t-bird i kept up with it he only beat me by a half to a full car length. Got him off the line with no problem. So the intake and heads off a 94-98 stang, will not work on my t-bird right? Well thanks for all of your replys.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2004, 03:23 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Yup you got it. What all do you have done to the car so far? I KNOW I'm not pushing 220hp and look at my sig.

Yeah 94-98 heads will work. I think the 97-98 heads are a bit different coolant passage wise. And they have different valve springs akso.

-Thomas

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2004, 09:22 PM
13's or Mildly Broken

Quote:
Originally posted by Melon
I believe that most of the parts that fit on 94-98 Mustang 3.8L's will work on the 89-97 Thunderbird 3.8L.
[/B]

Quote:
Originally posted by Thomas

Things that won't work:
-Pretty much any bolt on for the 99+ mustang. Because they are split-port.
I made that point in my post.. see Learn to read

By the way, I'm in a sarcastic mood - had a really long day.

-Andy "Melon"

1994 Thunderbird SC 3.8L Supercharged
1999 Crown Victoria P71 4.6
2000 Explorer 5.0
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

well i cold air intake from k&n with a ram air setup. I have a full exhaust with no cats or mufflers. And i am hoping to be able to drop a 460 in it with in the next 6 months. but i think i am going to get a racing chip. Hey does anyone know how to remove there govoner on there bird? I am not sure how much i am pushing but i hope to get a duno and found out this week. Thats all for not but i am not done on my bird just yet i think i am going to replace the head gaskets. I have alomost 198000 miles on it. I have never replaced my head gasket before but i think the people who owned it before me did. Well i got to go. See You all around.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 12:27 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 89T-BirdLX
well i cold air intake from k&n with a ram air setup. I have a full exhaust with no cats or mufflers. And i am hoping to be able to drop a 460 in it with in the next 6 months. but i think i am going to get a racing chip. Hey does anyone know how to remove there govoner on there bird? I am not sure how much i am pushing but i hope to get a duno and found out this week. Thats all for not but i am not done on my bird just yet i think i am going to replace the head gaskets. I have alomost 198000 miles on it. I have never replaced my head gasket before but i think the people who owned it before me did. Well i got to go. See You all around.
Don't expect to get anything out of a KN filter and straight pipe. I'd expect to see lost power from it actually. The only way you'll ever see performance gains from engine mods on your year of car would be to get a chip. MAP cars do not adjust for performance mods. Basically engine mods do nothing for you unless you get a chip. To remove the governer you need a performance chip. And I wouldn't worry about the HG's. If they've been replaced once already and the car is doing fine with that many miles on it, I'd say leave it well enough alone.
-Thomas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in