Head Gasket Re & Re Article anyone? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

Head Gasket Re & Re Article anyone?

I think that I'll be replacing my head gaskets again in the LX. They were replaced with Felpro at about 190,000 kms and it now has 324,000. I had a speed shop do it the first time.

The LX has been parked over the winter. I start it every week or more and it starts, idles and runs perfectly. Except that there is a lot of white blowing and it smells sweet, and there is water coming from the muffler. The white eases up after a few minutes.

I just flushed the coolant before winter and put in new t-stat, along with a few other things.

I know that I could look it up in a repair manual, but they are always too generic. There are always idiosyncracies. For anyone that has done them, what parts will I need before I start, so I am not running to get parts in the middle of the job? Once I get into it, I want it to be done in the same afternoon. In and out.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 02:39 AM
PostWhore

I get that same smoke/smell and water out of the tail pipes on my bird also. My car sits for months at a time. Mine only has 38,000 miles on it, so I just figure it's condinsation that has built up. I noticed it more when I did the exhaust and gutted the cats. It goes away after i drive it around and I don't see any signs of problems in my cooling system. So maybe it's because yours has been sitting also.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. I hope that is all it is, put planning for the worst. I run it for about 15 minutes once a week or so.

Nice '94 by the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 11:01 AM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

water coming from the exhaust is normal. white smoke is not though. Although blue smoke is sometimes normal on a cold start up.
-Thomas

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 03:05 PM

White smoke can just be steam. CxHx + XO2 ---> heat + XCO2 + XH2O (usually as vapor).
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 03:53 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

depoending on the outside temperature and the volume of smoke that comes from the exhaust though. If you have blown HG's you'll know when you see the smoke. It's not something that's mistakable for normal condensation/exhaust gas. Normal white smoke is a bit more transparent than the coolant smoke.
-Thomas

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in