oil pressure loss - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

oil pressure loss

In my 93 cougar, when im sitting at a stop light or something, my oil pressure drops down to nil, but if i put it in neutral or give er a little gas, it comes right back up and the light comes off. Checked the oil level, seemed alright, right below the full mark... any suggestions? i was thinking perhaps that the gauge is a piece.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 09:13 PM

The stock gauge is an idiot light. It's either on or off.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 06:55 PM
2nd Gear Poster

I'd have a look at the following:

1. Find the oil pressure sending unit and take a look at it. If there appears to be oil leaking from it, replace it and you'll likeky solve the problem, as well as an oil leak They're not a particularly expensive part.

2. If everthing seems good here, pull the wire that goes to it and have a look. See if things are corroded and clean the connections as required. If the connections are severely corroded, this can cause a false reading and the oil light to illuminate.

3. Is the wire going to the sensor falling off? That will definitely cause your problem!

4. Again, inspect the the wire going to the sensor. Check for any obvious damage and repair.

If one of these steps don't solve your problem, it's probobly time to drop into your local Ford store and have them check your oil pressure with a gage. If it's not a sensor or an electrical problem, it might be oil pump replacement time.

Good Luck!!

94 T-Bird LX
3.8 V6 - Bone Stock! (Bye darlin' I'll miss ya!)
93 Mercury Sable
03 Mercury Marauder
88 F-150 XLT Lariat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in