Overflow tank Overflowed - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
jay
4th Gear Poster

Overflow tank Overflowed

Ok I have a 1990 ford thunderbird 3.8L NA and last year I was having problems with the needle goin crazy hot cold..... so I changed the thermostat and water pump. IT was all fine till today i get on the expressway and it goes HOT and the heat isnt working....
I popped the hood and there is coolent coming out of the overflow tank.... and then the coolent was going down after the car was turned off.
What could this be.....please tell me its not going to need headgaskets. It has 200K on it and im sure they were changed b4 i bought it.

1990 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L V6 N/A
SOLD

1989 Ford Thundebird 3.8L V6 N/A (PARTS CAR) GONE

My Bird
MY BIRD ON SOUND DOMAIN
TCCOA PAGE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 06:34 PM

Ya overheated, thats for damn sure.

The heater blowing cold says that there isnt enough coolant to warm the heater core, (ie air in the system).

Ya probably blew yer gaskets.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 10:00 PM

Classic symptoms of blown head gaskets, Jay. Not a hard job to do with a shop manual, some decent tools and a little time. Make sure you get the heads resurfaced AND pressure tested by a machine shop. See my article to see why !CRACKED Also check the block area around where the gasket blew for any signs of erosion. ThunderCentral.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 10:15 PM

Yes, and dump your oil NOW.

Antifreeze, if it gets into the crankcase, will sit on top of the oil, right on your bearings.

Antifreeze takes to bearings like fat people take to McDonalds. Seriously. Its not pretty.

Also, getting your oil filter off will be easier if you take it off now. I need to get some pics of why you should change it ASAP.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 06:59 PM
4th Gear Poster

Sounds like a cracked head to me!! the way it goes back and forth from hot to cold, then all of a sudden overheats.. my 90 3.8 LX did that too.

whatever you do.. dont let the coolant sit in the block!!

My 92 blew hg's, and I let it sit for 2 years before finally fixing it which was a month ago.. the car runs now, but just developed a knock in the past few weeks!! and that was after a new timing chain and other crap too!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
jay
4th Gear Poster

they car runs fine now i didnt do a thing to it not sure what it was maybe since it was the first cold day all year it didnt warm up proper dont know.

1990 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L V6 N/A
SOLD

1989 Ford Thundebird 3.8L V6 N/A (PARTS CAR) GONE

My Bird
MY BIRD ON SOUND DOMAIN
TCCOA PAGE
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 02:23 PM
drag-aholic

mine did the same thing when my HG went. It was bubbling out the overflow. you could pull you plugs after it sits over night and see if any coolant comes out. i had some coolant come out of one of my cylinders.

1989 LX Full Air Suspension
Owner / Operator BAGGEDBIRDS.com
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 07:57 PM

How cold was it? Do you have enough antifreeze in the system to prevent freeze up. A frozen system could also cause exactly what you were describing and then when it thaws out everything may be just fine, or it may have cracked expensive parts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in