Getting ready to do the HG's - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2004, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Getting ready to do the HG's

Can someone tell me what, if any special tools are needed (91 SC) to replace the HG's. Will I need any special lubes or oils for re-assembly? Any helpful short cuts?, anyone around Owings Mills, MD that wants to help, that has done them before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2004, 04:32 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

You will need some quick disconnect tools to disconnect the fuel lines. Really you can just lay them to the side, but it's worth the few dollars for the tools to get them out of the way. You'll need a torx bit to remove the fuel rails from the intake and to remove the hood. (I think they're both T27.) A swivelling ratchet is pretty much necessary for the EGR bolts. I would get a long magnet and mirror too because you will probably drop something and not be able to reach it, if even see it.

As for tips, don't remove accessories unnecessarily from their brackets. You have to unbolt the power steering pump, but there's no reason to unbolt the alternator. Just remove the wires and pull it out with the bracket. You can remove the one bolt holding the hose to the back of the AC compressor and pull it out with the bracket, but you will lose your coolant. (I don't know if there's a way to pull your heads without losing your AC coolant. I didn't have to worry about it since my AC is dead.) You can pull off your upper intercooler tube with the blower top so you don't have to use a spanner wrench. And that's all I can think of at the moment. I've done it twice recently on my Supercoupe, so if you have a problem, I could probably help.

1994 Thunderbird LX 232
Discarded air silencer. Gutted cats. [email protected] mph at this point. 8.8" Trackloc differential with polyurethane bushings. PA manual valvebody. Sport springs.

1989 Thunderbird SC 5-speed
ESM ported supercharger. Performance exhaust.

2005 Yamaha YZF600R
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2004, 04:33 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Oh yeah, I have pictures of the various stages in the Texas Chapter forum if you need to see them.

1994 Thunderbird LX 232
Discarded air silencer. Gutted cats. [email protected] mph at this point. 8.8" Trackloc differential with polyurethane bushings. PA manual valvebody. Sport springs.

1989 Thunderbird SC 5-speed
ESM ported supercharger. Performance exhaust.

2005 Yamaha YZF600R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2004, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Yes, please PM me the URL to your pictures.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2004, 12:59 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

spanner nut wrench for the IC tube. I think Bill at supercoupeperformance.com may sell them

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2004, 01:19 PM

You should not need a spanner nut wrench. I never needed one and I had the IC tubes off quite a few times, it is much easier to leave the top and IC tube connected. Just take it off at the IC.

The fuel rails you can swing right over the side of your car, should sit right where the front tire is, I had mine off as I had to get to the exhaust maniflds to take them off.

To remove the power stewering pump, you will need a pulley puller, you can get one at a parts store, I got one here for 6$ for the day.

For the ac, I just set it off to the side, I did not disconnect the lines.

Ratcheting wrenches are a BIG plus when it comes time to working behind the heads.

If you wanted to be more proactive, now would be a good time to get the heads freshened up and ported, but, I am not sure the condition of your heads or if you have future plans down the road.

Just take your sweet time, and do it right. No one likes a rush job.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 04:48 AM

Just a point on 3.8L heads. Always get them resurfaced AND pressure tested, when doing head gaskets !
CRACKED
ThunderCentral

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in