anyone running a turbo setup? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2002, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Smile anyone running a turbo setup?

Well Im kind of new to the board, been around for the past year or so on the old board but my 93 tbird was a daily driver at the time by my wife, so I was running my 87 Mustang lx that was running 11's as my toy, now the wife has a new car so I sold the stang to make a sleeper out of the tbird..Anyone running a single turbo or a twin turbo setup? just looking for some info for a starting point for the new project. I had nitrous on the stang but figured id go a different route here.. any help would be appreciated. thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2002, 10:30 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to Tim Groth Send a message via Yahoo to Tim Groth
Saw one saturday...

At our meet at the Hagerstown Dragway I saw a guy that had a 90 SC which he changed over to a turbo and his numbers really stunk. He ended up leaving, I think most of it had to do with the fact the we had 2 SC's there and Jason Miller was running 14.90s and the turbo guy ran like a 16-17. I know it can be done though for I saw it first hand. I doubt he will ever post on here so sorry I can't help you. I know it took a lot of custom work though.

Current Collection
1994 Thunderbird SC - Auto

1994 Thunderbird SC - 5spd
1995 Thunderbird SC - Auto
1997 LX - Auto - Parts Car
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 12:47 AM

Watgh out

this question has been asked so many times. But the bottom line is that its probably not worth the trouble of running a turbo on this car. Just get urself a Vortech and u r better than the turbo ricers ever will be. So if I were u and boost is what I was lookin for I would just with Centrifugal supercharger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 09:19 PM

"theoretically" speaking, so bear with me. could you run the turbo off the left bank only and just run a container or somethign to that order so the boost hits all at the same time. you "should" be able to make a header that goes forward and hooks to the turbo and then run the exhaust for the turbo right out from underneath the intake for the turbo. now, by theory, this should work. i wouldn't recommend giving too much boost if you have a NA car or you might be putting a "little" hole in your piston. good luck if you do it.

Wiz
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replys, I was just asking because I just want something different, I had a cartech single turbo kit on my old 92 mustang Gt and had good results, being that a Buick GN has a 3.8l also I was wondering if I could achieve the same or better results off the ford engine, I figured on using a stock block with a forged crank and rods, and custom pistons from probe, also using a set of ported sc heads that will be O-ringed to put up with some serious boost, Just trying to figure out weather to run a single or twin turbo setup, plan on using a T-3 to start with and go from there. There is a shop local to me that specializes in turbos so getting a custom set of headers, duct work, ect...will not be a problem to get done, as he said probably $4-5K for turbo setup including install and fuel sysytem upgrades...so just want to know if anyone had good results running something similar. Thanks
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 07:53 PM

i would think your better off going with a vortech style blower as well. much easier to plumb in.

the buick GN engine was built from the factory to take boost. the normal 3.8 wasnt. that doesnt mean you cant build it to take boost. but why not pick up an SC longblock and adapt your turbo/vortech setup to that? its already built to take some boost. cant cost much, if any more, than building your own from a NA block..

i dont know why the SC guy who converted to turbo had such bad times.. hard to tell w/o any information about the car.. but i have been thinking about adapting twin turbos to my sc instead of the blower.. but hey.. we all have dreams.. LOL
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 12:41 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

there was a maserati with a ford 3.8 engine in it that had twin turbos I believe. You could find those headers, good luck though. and fitment would probably be different also. Isn't there a guy in the custom engine gallery with twin turbos on his bird? looks that way anyway, unless it's twin sc's. oh well.
-Thomas

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 06:35 PM

they are turbos, don't know how well it works for him though. oh well, not your problem.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 07:52 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to Tim Groth Send a message via Yahoo to Tim Groth
Don't know about the guy with turbo...

All I know is he tried it out and well he left early with out saying a word to any of us except that he thought he should have done better than what he did. I can tell you that under the hood was one ugly sight for he had so much weld and custum bent steel tube. I guess for that matter the car was an eye sore too...but anyways. I'm sure there's a better way to go about all this than the way he did.

Current Collection
1994 Thunderbird SC - Auto

1994 Thunderbird SC - 5spd
1995 Thunderbird SC - Auto
1997 LX - Auto - Parts Car
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 03:07 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to BlackbirdSport
A turbo is tought to tune, thats probably why the SC guy had trouble. Also, I'd have to see his setup. What turbo was he running? How much boos? What waste gat? BOV? did he use the piddly SC FMIC?
I too have contemplated this, and I beleive I have a recipe. Big single, Grand National style. I have compiled a good bit of parts to turbo my Modular 96, but money is running tight, I want a different trim, and I cant have the car down for that long. BUT! I want to see a fast turbo bird, done right, so hit me up on PM if you want the gear. I have a T04E .60/.81 (good for 450bhp), a 20"/15" FMIC, and a Gredy Type S. What you will need is bigger injectors (42#+), a fuel pum (255ish), Some way to tune AFR dynamicly (AFC, SAFC etc..), and an external waste gate, I recomenend a Tial 40mm. The 3.8 will be MUCH easier to plumb. You can get a set of headers from a 96-97, they are tubular, then use those to hack and weld yourself a couple foward facing manifolds.
There is a guy in Eastern ohio with a flood damaged 93 3.8, he's selling the engine, recent rebuild, Supersix Performance stage 3 top end.
If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. I'll love you help you out on this! Dont pay attention to the nay sayers that claim its a rice mod, or its not worth the trouble. Keep in mind, some of the fastest mustangs on the planet are running turbos. And you seem to be doing for the same reason as I, to be different

"Keep making it thinner until it breaks, then go one size bigger."
My Cougar XR7
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 11:57 AM
PostWhore

What about adapting a 3.8 Mustang Turbo kit to a 3.8 MN12?

Scroll to the bottom of the page:
V6 Turbo kit

A better page:
Pro Turbo 3.8 kit

'97 T-bird LX - 4.6L
The weekend car I never drive

'06 Mustang GT
The Daily
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Those kits look sweet! I think I will be checking into them, Thanks
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 06:48 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to BlackbirdSport
Quote:
Originally posted by Jack K
What about adapting a 3.8 Mustang Turbo kit to a 3.8 MN12?

Scroll to the bottom of the page:
V6 Turbo kit

A better page:
Pro Turbo 3.8 kit
I too thought of that, but it's not economical. Turbo kits like this are chassis specific.
You would have to re-plumb the whole thing to get ti to fit. That means the headers, the intake pipes, the downtube / exhaust, the IC tubing, all that would eb useless. leaving you with a turbo, an IC, a BOV and waste gate, and a load of custom work ahead of you. YOu'd be better off just buying the turbo, an IC, a BOV and waste gate, 96-97, or used aftermarket headers, and cutting htem up and fabbing your own kit. Much cheaper.

"Keep making it thinner until it breaks, then go one size bigger."
My Cougar XR7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in