Emission Control Problem - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Emission Control Problem

Hi Folks!

Was wondering if anyone might be able to help me with an issue with my '93 Merc Sable (My winter car... my T-birds quitely sleeping over the winter).

The car has a 3.8L engine, AC and Power steering (don't know if all that was important, but the more info the better, I guess )

Anyway, the car is getting poor milage, and when I hook up a snap-on scanner, the car consistently pulls code 332, and the code re-appears evertime the code is cleared.

I think that what the code is saying is that there is no vacuum going to the EGR valve. The EGR is good... I've tested it using a vacuum hose and breath power and the car does stall when vacuum is applied to the valve when the car is running so I'm assuming that the valve is opening and closing.

The scanner troubleshooter cartridge leads me to two parts. One is a grey colored sensor? that is mounted close to the EGR valve. There's a vacuum line running from the sensor to the plenum, and an electrical connector going to it.

The other is a black colored solenoid (I think?), mounted a little lower down on the engine. The solonoid has two vacuum lines running to or from it. One I assume is vacuum to the solenoid, and the other line goes directly to the EGR valve. The scanner suggested that I check for power at this solonoid, and is is definitely getting power from the red lead. I'm inclined to go to the dealer and get this solenoid, but I'm not 100% sure that this is what's causing the car to pull this code.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for your help!

94 T-Bird LX
3.8 V6 - Bone Stock! (Bye darlin' I'll miss ya!)
93 Mercury Sable
03 Mercury Marauder
88 F-150 XLT Lariat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 05:05 PM

Check the vacuum line that goes from the sensor. On my car this line was plugged in the fall. Cleaned it out and the car ran alot better.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 06:40 PM
Trumpeter Extraordinaire

Additional info, if you need it:

DTC 332 indicates that the PFE/DPFE sensor signal to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) did not change when the PCM output a duty cycle to the EVR solenoid requesting EGR flow.

Possible causes are:

-- Vacuum hose leaks.

-- Obstructed vacuum hoses.

-- Damaged EVR solenoid.

-- Damaged PFE/DPFE sensor.

-- Damaged EGR valve.

-- Damaged PCM.

In addition to the EGR Vacuum Regulator (EVR) solenoid you're thinking of, the PFE sensor may be a culprit (the grey sensor you mentioned).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Thanks for the extra info! Any ideas as to how I should proceed? If you were me, would you try and replace the solonoid?

94 T-Bird LX
93 Mercury Sable
03 Mercury Marauder
88 F-150 XLT Lariat
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 07:02 PM
Trumpeter Extraordinaire

Well...on my car (94 T-bird), I did both the solenoid and sensor. First was the solenoid - then a few weeks later, the same code returned, so I replaced the sensor.

If you have the money, it wouldn't hurt to do both. Since both items have a vacuum path in them, the possibility of clogging exists, especially on a 11+ year-old vehicle....but that's just my 2ยข worth.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Iron Chops....

Thanks for all the advice. I finally got off by butt this weekend and changed the EVR solenoid as well as a full-tune up. The car is running much better, and when I hook-up the scanner, there are no codes present. I think it's fixed! Thanks again.

94 T-Bird LX
93 Mercury Sable
03 Mercury Marauder
88 F-150 XLT Lariat
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 07:55 AM
Trumpeter Extraordinaire

You're quite welcome. I've been down that road a couple times myself! Glad to hear the car's running better now.

Good luck to you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in