CEL, and engine stalling (2 separate issues rolled into 1 topic) - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

CEL, and engine stalling (2 separate issues rolled into 1 topic)

After using the search, I still haven't found any topics that could point me into the right direction, so I'm going to go ahead and post my plea for help

First, the CEL. It's an odd story, basically when I start the car, the CEL is off. After driving for about 20 minutes (could be 5 more, or 5 less, but always after a reasonable amount of time) the CEL comes on and stays on. Whenever I stop the car, turn it off, and start it again, the CEL is off again. Only to come on about 5 minutes later.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I don't really want to go and get the codes pulled because over here (the Netherlands), they'll charge you $bigbucks just to do that, so I hoped maybe someone recognises the symptoms and knows what that is. I've got a hunch it's either something with the EGR valve, or the O2 sensors in the exhaust, since it only happens when the car (apparently) is hot.

This brings me to the next item; sometimes when it's cold outside and the car has been sitting for a day or so (think around freezing temperatures), it has a tendency to stall out when I'm stopped at a light. It idles on the rough side, gets rougher, and it stalls out. No lights come on prior to this, or during the stop. I've had this problem once before where it'd do it anytime I'd stop, and then slowly step on the gas again, it'd stall. If I just floored it (or at least pulled away "Aggressively") it didn't have this problem.

Again, I don't really want to take it into the shop, since this sort of stuff usually takes a while to find, and even tho the shop I go to is real good, they also charge for being so damn good.

If anyone has any hints, tips, or tricks, I'd be grateful if you'd share them I'll warn you in advance, I'm not a real DIY guy, but if I've got enough diagrams and information available I'm always willing to give things a shot.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 12:42 AM
Chapter Director Coordinator

unfortunately, it is really hard to diagnose the problem without knowing what triggered a CEL since the CEL likes to trigger other symptoms as well (like decreased throttle response, poor fuel mileage, etc)

no free code readers in the area?

might want to consider picking up a cheap actron or something
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by jamesD
unfortunately, it is really hard to diagnose the problem without knowing what triggered a CEL since the CEL likes to trigger other symptoms as well (like decreased throttle response, poor fuel mileage, etc)

no free code readers in the area?

might want to consider picking up a cheap actron or something
Yeah, I feared that'd be the case No free code readers that I know of around here, and nobody around here (car shops etc.) sell Actron's or other readers, so I'd have to order one from the USA

But I guess I'll have to do that, better 'n nothing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in