Shaking like crazy - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Angry My car is possessed!!!

My car is possessed by the devil. If I floor it in neutral it will not go above 3000 RPM. It's almost as if it can't tell that the throttle is open once it gets up there. If I let up a little on it, it can be coaxed into going higher. When driving it, once it gets near 2000 RPM it starts shaking like Regan in The Exorcist. It basically completely loses power. What in the world is wrong with my car. It was fine one minute and horrible the next. I used a different gasoline today. Could that have anything to do with this. I put in a bottle of Gumout fuel system cleaner but it did nothing. Please help me.

Thanks.
Damien

Last edited by ThunderMoon; 12-31-2004 at 09:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

I'm starting to hate this car. Now it's running fine. Two days ago my power steering wouldn't work. Now it is fine. Today, my car was having seizures. Now it is fine. I hate to think about what might be next. Please keep me and my car in your prayers.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 10:35 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

maybe start with the easy stuff, tune up, checking for vacuum leaks.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 03:38 AM
The Parts Guy

making sure your HB and HB bolt are still intact......

HB = harmonic balancer

-Rod

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Well, today I was driving and the shudder was still present. I put in 3/4 of a can of SeaFoam into the crankcase oil and 1 1/4 cans into my fuel tank. The car has its power and life back. I can once again floor it without having it sputter and almost die. The funny thing is that the Gumout I used last night did nothing for it. LOL. God bless SeaFoam!!! I'm in much better spirits now.

Thanks for all your suggestions as I will be inspecting all of them,
Damien
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

What is the harmonic balancer, what does it look like, and where is it in my car?

Damien
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 11:58 PM
The Parts Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoon
What is the harmonic balancer, what does it look like, and where is it in my car?

Damien
The crankshaft pulley is bolted to your harmonic balancer. It is located on the front of the engine, near the bottom.

-Rod

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 04:53 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

if you ran too low of an octane the motor could have been detonating, triggering the knock sensor and reducing power. Thats just a thought.

But the seafoam was a good idea, that stuff rocks. You can hook a bottle of it upto a vacuum line that runs to the intake and suck it into the motor that way too, that'll clean up the combustion chambers and intake/exhaust ports of the heads. I'd hook it up after the supercharger somewhere. At the rear IC return inlet maybe.

-Thomas

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

I just realized something. The mechanic must be on crack. He was saying that the problem is the intake manifold gasket, but he used a little pool of fluid that is nowhere near the intake manifold as his evidence. So........could my problem be the result of a clogged fuel filter? Is it possible that not enough fuel is flowing to keep the engine from running ultra lean at high RPM's? That makes more sense to me. Please let me know ASAP since I have my car for sale on Ebay because I got pissed off at it LOL

Thanks,
Damien
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 11:18 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

well replace the fuel filter and find out. Its cheap and easy, located underneatht he car below the passenger side door.

Where was the pool of fluid he pointed at?

-Thomas

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

It was under the supercharger just to the driver's side. I'd say six or seven inches past the serpentine belt.

Damien
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 11:28 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

even if it is a leak that shouldnt affect the power of your car, especially a small leak.
-Thomas

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Okay thanks. Hopefully it is just a dirty fuel filter.

Damien
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 11:33 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

I doubt a clogged filter would prevent your car from reving past a certain rpm though, if anything it would still rev, but would run lean and melt a piston or something. Thats a really would symptom you've got. But the fuel filter is easy to replace and probably needs it anyway.
-Thomas

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Well, if it isn't the fuel filter, what do you think the culprit might be? Should I just go ahead with selling the car if the filter doesn't cure? I'm extremely impulsive though so I'm usually not sure if I'm over reacting. But it does suck driving it the way it is now.

Damien
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

And it is the only car I have and I'm always on the go...
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 12:14 AM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

well if that doesnt work then obviously other avenues need to be pursued in what could be wrong. I'm trying to think of what would cause it do to something like that. When my TPS went bad on my 95 it would kind of do that but thats because on 94+ the tps controls the transmission, but not on the earlier ones.

Its not throwing any codes or anything? Check engine light?

-Thomas

post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

Nope no codes or check engine lights. The only time the CEL has come on was when I forgot to reconnect the MAF after I cleaned it. It just gets worse the longer it is driven. When I first start the car, the problem is non-existant unless I really really drive it hard. It starts to show up after it has been driven a while. It gets to the point where it is nearly impossible to accelerate without it doing the whole engine missing and car shaking thing. It's a really violent shaking too.

Damien
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

Also, to avoid the problem I sometimes have to shift very early to keep the revs down low. The fact that it gets worse after driving it a while is why I also doubt it is the fuel filter now that I think about it.

Damien
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 07:32 AM
6th Gear Poster

The car is on Ebay? hmmmmmmm Think you can make it to Chicago?

Honor, Grace, and Dignity.....Do you remember these?
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

I see no reason why it couldn't be driven to chicago. It's just a b*tch to accelerate after it's been running a long time, but runs fine on the high way. Here's a link

Damien
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Okay. I now know what the real problem is. Motor mounts. I had the oil changed today and they couldn't get the same size filter back on because the mounts were bad and there wasn't enough room. They had to put a smaller filter on. The torque of the engine was banging the oil filter against the frame of the car which is what was causing all the shaking. Now that there is a smaller oil filter, it's not hitting the frame. I went out on the roads and stomped on it a lot. Nothing until much much much higher rpms. I'm talking over 4500RPM. My car's life is back. Now I just need to get the motor mounts replaced so I can put the normal size filter on. Is there any danger to my engine if I go a few weeks with a smaller oil filter?

Damien
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 05:36 PM
6th Gear Poster

Not as much as you gunning it. That motor raises and drops everytime you step on it and let off of it. Keep it up and you might have an oil pan meet the asphalt. I would recommend getting them fixed ASAP and not driving it. Least get a chain and wrap it around the A frame and hold the motor down.

Honor, Grace, and Dignity.....Do you remember these?
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 05:39 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

yeah get them replaced asap. When the motor mounts wear down the oil pan will rub on the k-member and wear a hole into it. The oil filter is the least of your concerns. They're relatively easy to replace, just unbolt them, support the motor with a jack and a piece of wood to disperse the weight, and swap them out.
-Thomas

post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

I'm sad to say that it doesn't matter any more. I was driving tonite and a woman pulled out and tried to turn left in front of me and there was no way to avoid her. I was only about 30 feet from the intersection when she started to turn and I was going about 40 mph. I crashed right into her passenger side. Me and my girl were both wearing our seat belts luckily. I slammed my head against the visor and tore it off the ceiling. Casey (my girlfriend) jammed her knee into the dash which jammed her right hip. All three of us were taken to the hospital. Casey and I were able to leave after a few hours. My mom came and got me and her parents came to get her. I'm not sure about the woman, but the one nurse went to go check on her cuz my mom knows the nurse and the nurse said that the woman just seemed bruised and beaten and that she looked like she would be discharged. Well, I guess that means that I won't be selling my car or driving it. My grandpa was like, "Please don't buy another Thunderbird. Buy an Impala or something. You're not having good luck with T-Birds." I told him, no way Grandpa. I love Thunderbirds. Sadly, I know I won't get nearly as much for this car as I got for my 95 4.6L. Do any of you know of someone trying to sell a SC or a 4.6? It can't be too much money as I won't be getting nearly as much as I did before. I think NADA value is something like $2500. Not sure though.

Thanks,
Damien

PS I hope this was understandable. I'm on a lot of Motrin and Vikadin (sp)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in