Pulling codes with digital voltmeter (used search, no answer there) - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Pulling codes with digital voltmeter (used search, no answer there)

Hi guys, used the search on this one and did the good old short-two-pins routine, and indeed out came many many codes. The only drawback being that I'm (at times :P) slightly motorically challenged so I can't write the suckers down fast enough to get sane codes out of it, and currently nobody around to help me with it.

Now I do have this nice voltmeter (that you can also hook up to read codes for you), but it's a digital one. Now all the stuff about pulling codes like this mentions analog voltmeters, if I hook up the digital one, anyone know what I'm looking for? low->high indicate a number, or high->low indicate a number?

It'd be good if I can use that, because I can hook up my laptop to it as well and have it record the data for later sorting out.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 10:44 PM

dude, go to advance auto...they will read the codes for you for nothing!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak kid
dude, go to advance auto...they will read the codes for you for nothing!
We don't have an advance auto here If I could get my codes read for free, I'd be all over it like a dog on a steak left unsupervised. Free code readers are a rarity over here in the Netherlands, and I don't know anyone who has one and is within driving distance.

The only place that *has* a code reader that's around here is um.. Kwikfit - To describe that would take too long so I'll just say this: Imagine a bargain basement when it comes to car shops. Start digging. Keep digging past rock bottom and into some as of yet unexplored murky void, waaaaaay down there. That's where you'll find Kwikfit. I could rant about them for 2 pages...

That's also the reason I'm trying to get 'em out myself, saves me enough cash for 2 trips to the local junkyard to try and scavenge some parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 06:54 AM

The digital one will not work, get a cheap analog. What you will be doing is counting the sweeps or deflections.
If you have a chilton or haynes manual, it will tell you the connectons and the jumpers.

The older style code reader are $30 USD.

Francis

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in