Car fails to start..... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

Car fails to start.....

I drove my car upto my girlfriends house last night, and when i got up to start it this morning it simply would not fire up. It cranks and cranks and cranks, but will not go. I replaced the TFI module this spring so i wouldn't think it would go bad so soon, any ideas?

Thanx,

--Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 04:36 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

first thing you have to do is narrow down the possibilities. Fuel, Starter, or Spark.

Get a can of carb cleaner, engine igniter fluid, etc, some kind of flammable engine cleaning spray. Take the intake tube off and have someone crank the car over with the gas pedal floored while you spray the stuff into the throttle body. If it runs this way, you have a problem with fuel delivery. If it still does nothing, you've got a problem in the starter or spark delivery. I had your same problem on two instances, one was when the starter went bad, and one was when the ignition coil (TFI) went bad. So if its not fuel it's a matter of replacing things and seeing if it works.

If it is fuel, check the trunk behind the carpet on the driver side where there is a little block box with a red button on top. This is the inertia fuel cut off switch. Sometimes they spontaneously trip and cut off fuel to the motor. It should be pushed in.

If its not fuel, I'd replace the starter. It sucks to do, but from the factory they are faulty. The new one will have a newly designed solenoid and you'll have to splice a new wire on it, which is provided with the starter. Has the car been cranking over a little longer than usual before it fires up lately? Thats a tell tale sign of a bad starter.

Try these things and see what you come up with. If you're still in a hole then let me know and I'll try to help you out some more. Good luck.

-Thomas

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 12:28 AM
MaleWhore

Send a message via AIM to smokymance
mine is doing this now...but it only does it when its wet or humid outside...what could it be? im thinking wires or something...it smells like fuel so im thinking it has to do with spark...i got new everything...from wires and plugs to rotor and cap and coil...

1997 MN12 Sport 4.6L Supercharged 5 Speed Sold
1998 Mark VIII LSC Teredor Red, Parts car, PM me
1998 Mark VIII LSC Pearl, Stock, Garage Queen
2000 Jeep XJ 4.0L Long Armed and Locked
2008 Yukon Denali 6.2L Supercharged
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 12:30 AM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

sounds like a coil problem so its odd that yours is new. I've had a few instances where it was raining when a coil went bad.

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 12:57 AM

Hahahaha same problem i have with me sc?? if you find out what it is pm me and let me know so i can fix my damn car
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 01:14 AM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

chances are it wont be the same thing since the ignition between a 93 3.8 NA and 89 SC are totally different. He has ignition coil, ignition wire, distributor, cap, rotor, wires, plugs. You have crank sensor, DIS module, coil pack, wires, plugs. Your coil pack or DIS module could be bad but the most common thing to fail on DIS systems is the crank sensor.
-Thomas

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 09:41 AM
MaleWhore

Send a message via AIM to smokymance
grrr ...now i have to get me a new coil again...

1997 MN12 Sport 4.6L Supercharged 5 Speed Sold
1998 Mark VIII LSC Teredor Red, Parts car, PM me
1998 Mark VIII LSC Pearl, Stock, Garage Queen
2000 Jeep XJ 4.0L Long Armed and Locked
2008 Yukon Denali 6.2L Supercharged
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas
first thing you have to do is narrow down the possibilities. Fuel, Starter, or Spark.

Get a can of carb cleaner, engine igniter fluid, etc, some kind of flammable engine cleaning spray. Take the intake tube off and have someone crank the car over with the gas pedal floored while you spray the stuff into the throttle body. If it runs this way, you have a problem with fuel delivery. If it still does nothing, you've got a problem in the starter or spark delivery. I had your same problem on two instances, one was when the starter went bad, and one was when the ignition coil (TFI) went bad. So if its not fuel it's a matter of replacing things and seeing if it works.

If it is fuel, check the trunk behind the carpet on the driver side where there is a little block box with a red button on top. This is the inertia fuel cut off switch. Sometimes they spontaneously trip and cut off fuel to the motor. It should be pushed in.

If its not fuel, I'd replace the starter. It sucks to do, but from the factory they are faulty. The new one will have a newly designed solenoid and you'll have to splice a new wire on it, which is provided with the starter. Has the car been cranking over a little longer than usual before it fires up lately? Thats a tell tale sign of a bad starter.

Try these things and see what you come up with. If you're still in a hole then let me know and I'll try to help you out some more. Good luck.

-Thomas
Ok the car quit running 3 days ago. It staled then started up at each light my friend needed to hold the gas pedal down in neutral to keep it from stalling.

We have. changed spark plugs, distributer cap and rotor, plug wires. the fuel shutoff is pushed in.

but it just cranks and crancks and crancks.

My friend just moved into his house and is not done as he still has no car to bring his kids home. i want to help him get this t-bird back flying. but her heart has stopped.

im willing to tear the top end of the motor apart to see if i have a fuel injection problem.

I also have a question. theres a connector were the fuel injectors are. that seems like should be pluged into a fuel injector but its not. its just sitting there. what isd this ?
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 11:07 AM

oh also just wanted to add. i dont think the timing is off. because the rotor under the cap turns when we crank the car.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 11:24 AM
The Parts Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppa
oh also just wanted to add. i dont think the timing is off. because the rotor under the cap turns when we crank the car.
Whether or not the timing is off, the rotor will still spin when the engine is cranked.

-Rod

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 01:02 PM

Its might be a fuel problem? Pull your fuel filter off and see if you getting any gas where the filter was? and also check the fuel pump if not, also check you fuel cut off switch ion the trun on the drivers side. i had the sae problem , but the timeing might be off as well so if it is then you need a new timing beltand a tranny flush becasue if you crank it whith the timeing being bad then your fried you tranny fluid
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 01:14 PM

Quote:
becasue if you crank it whith the timeing being bad then your fried you tranny fluid
please elaborate on this
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 01:16 PM

yes you will fry you tranny fliud by cranking a engine with a bad timing belt? dont knwo how it happens but it does
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 01:17 PM

But the V6 doesn't have a belt, it has a chain.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 01:18 PM

hahahaha same damn diff dude.... Smart AZZ
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 01:28 PM

maybe you need to change your blinker fluid, and the noise will go away....lol.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 01:28 PM
The Parts Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructor90
yes you will fry you tranny fliud by cranking a engine with a bad timing belt? dont knwo how it happens but it does
And where are you getting this info from? I'll tell you right now that it is incorrect.

-Rod

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 02:52 PM

You wont fry your tranny fluid by cranking the motor. Unless by cranking you mean "towing a crapload of crap with no tranny cooler"

Then you'd fry it for shizzle.
With a bad timing belt, you could skip some teef and end up with a nice custom one off porting job on your pistons, or an even nicer set of suddenly lightened valves.

Last edited by brokenmachines_e2; 02-25-2005 at 02:52 PM. Reason: i felt like touching myself. again.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 03:53 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Destructor, the NA birds had a distributor from 89-95, unlike the supercoupe. The timing can be adjusted through the distributor by twisting it. If the distributor is removed or the hold down screw is losened the timing could easily be thrown off. You need to get a timing light to check what the timing is set at, even if the two marks line up on the dist and timing cover a tooth could be off and it wont line up for the correct timing.

It has nothing to do with the chain, there's a very small chance that the timing chain skipped.

Also, the timing chain has nothing to do with the transmission, the a skipped or broken timing chain would do is bent the valves by colliding with the pistons.

-Thomas

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 10:44 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Stevinator
Quote:

I also have a question. theres a connector were the fuel injectors are. that seems like should be pluged into a fuel injector but its not. its just sitting there. what isd this ?

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLUG YOUR INJECTORS IN!!!! YOU MAY BE ABLE TO SAVE YOURSELF A LOT OF TIME, STRESS, AND MONEY
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 10:51 AM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

i thought he meant that round two prong connector that goes nowhere. I dont even know what its for. It just sits behind my alternator.

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 12:03 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Stevinator
hmmm i didn't think of that. i assumed he was talking about the injector connectors. possible one got knocked loose.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 10:48 PM

ok so we got a brand new battery on the car and it starts right up.........

but now after he put a starter on it. it makes a nice metal to metal contact nise like the flywheel is dragging against the starter when he revs the engine or accelerates.

hes sellling it for 400 bucks since his buick centry is running now also.
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 11:04 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

probably the wrong starter, installed it wrong, or a faulty unit. The gear should pull away from the flex plate when the starter isnt engaged.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in