Wear Rubbers, My Friends... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to FasTBird232 Send a message via MSN to FasTBird232 Send a message via Skype™ to FasTBird232
Wear Rubbers, My Friends...

...because if you don't, eventually you might have to sell your Thunderbird. It was either keep my beat up '95 LX or my g/f's '95 Grand Prix GTP, but FWD is safer in the winter if you have a baby.

Anyhow, now I'm thinking way down the road when I can next afford another 'Bird to hot rod. I really dig the 3.8 (even with the problems) because it's not really a mainstream choice, but is it worth getting one ten years from now and building it up? Is there still going to be aftermarket for that engine, you think?

I might be able to get my hands on a 302 from an '87 Crown Vic. If I get it, spend a couple years collecting parts for it, is it too much of a hassle to throw it in a '94-'95 'Bird? I know about how I'd need an AOD and all that stuff, but what do you imagine the situation to be like in 10 years, given how well/poorly 'Birds age and the rarity of parts?

Sort of related question: saying I grab the five-oh, what junkyard/less expensive parts could I throw on to up the HP a little? I think its 150 hp/270 ft/lbs, if I'm not mistaken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 09:51 PM
1st Gear Poster

Or you can move to where I live, in Hawaii! You don't have to worry about snow or storm here. Always nice and sunny (well, maybe not always......) and warm here.

Of course, downside to this story is everything is expensive here. I mean everything. You also have to pay for BIG, I mean BIG shipping charge when you order something from any catalog (my average shipping charge for any parts is about $40). You might argue that how can a shipping charge so expensive, but most of the catalog shipping is some kind of 2Day-air thingy.

Anyway, good lusk with your new baby and hope for the best. If you do have a boy, maybe in 10years you both can work on our beloved T-bird.

Toshi.

---------------------------------------------
94' Thunderbird LX - nice car!
3.8, wanna change to some kind of v-8 soon, wish had a Trac-loc, wish had set of 17inch, may settle with 16inch, wishing harder for true-dual. Wishing even harder for new paint job! Help!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to FasTBird232 Send a message via MSN to FasTBird232 Send a message via Skype™ to FasTBird232
Oh hell yeah. We're gonna go for one last ride in the Bird before I actually sell it. But, uh, aside from moving to Hawaii, no one else has any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 01:39 AM
Cougar Pilot

Front Drives are NOT safer in the Winter. Once you're out of control, you're completely ****ed. No correcting to it. The ONLY advantage to a FWD is better traction from a stop on ice. If that in your mind means safer, so be it, in my book that don't mean safer.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCat94
Front Drives are NOT safer in the Winter. Once you're out of control, you're completely ****ed. No correcting to it. The ONLY advantage to a FWD is better traction from a stop on ice. If that in your mind means safer, so be it, in my book that don't mean safer.
I couldn't agree more...I spent almost 3 yrs in alaska driving both my birds..never once ended up in a ditch...however, lotsa FWD cars did....Just my .02.

Also, he is right on the correction factor...you start sliding ina FWD...no hope but to pump the brakes!

Shane
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Of the two cars, the GTP was the one I felt was safer. Several times last winter, I'd be tooling along in the Bird and suddenly the car would start going sideways, even though I'd be going at a constant speed and direction. Also, the car wouldn't make it up most hills in town, and would lose momentum half way up and there'd be little I could do.

But I've never heard anyone (let alone two people) ever say rear drive is safer in the winter. How does that help in a skid?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 03:30 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

your talking to the wrong 2 people . i agree with kodiak kid, i learned how to drive, in the winter, in rear drives . its how people drive or lack there of . dont take that the wrong way ! i dont mean that against you . everyone used to buy snow tires and never really compalined about it. all the younger generation, learned how to drive in front drives and dont know how to properly handle a rwd ,let alone drive one in the snow. i have a set of snows for all my rwd cars ,cept the 64

64 ford galaxie -FE powered beast!- sleeping giant
69 cougar standard- 347/c6 -efi restomod, heidts prog 4 link heavily modified front, custom strutrods boxed lowers rollerperches 620 lowering springs! meier shock tower brace
96 f150 supercab lifted beast! 351 powered beast
87 shasta roadmaster 29ft travel trailer- pimpdaddy camping!
mn12 less!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Naw, I'd agree with you on that one. I had wide Kelly Chargers on it, and they weren't the best on snow. And it was my first winter in a RWD car.

But still, he said something about correction factor or correcting it in a skid, and not being able to do that in FWD. My old man always told me, in a skid, let off the gas and tap the brakes and the car will straighten out. I took driver's ed in the winter, but it was in a Lumina, so we weren't taught any rear drive techniques. So what am I missing here?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 04:27 PM

FWD > RWD in winter for plowing through snowbanks and getting moving
RWD > FWD in winter for EVERYTHING ELSE.

On a RWD when the back end gets a little out of shape you let off the throttle and it will correct it self, FWD the back end gets out of shape and your screwed. FWD LOVE to go straight while on the throttle trying to turn a corner, RWD just give it a little throttle and hang the rear out a bit and corners are easy. I've driven Both RWD and FWD in the winter and a RWD with GOOD Ice/snow tires and 200# in the trunk can't be beat. Of course you could sell both and get a Subaru AWD
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 04:40 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94t-birdlx Send a message via MSN to 94t-birdlx

I hate that 'snowplow' effect of FWD cars. You turn the wheel and the car doesn't care!

"Technical skill is mastery of complexity while creativity is mastery of simplicity."
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Ohh...yeah, now I know what you guys were talking about. Yeah, the Galant I had before the Bird would just spin the tires and keep going straight sometimes when I turned it. And I dig how easy it is to get the car to point left or right and keep the nose in the same spot on RWD cars. Especially handy in parking lots.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 05:02 PM

All ya need is a good pair of winter tires up front and your set.

FYI, a comparison was done between the Crown Vic and the Impala police cars a while ago. The cars were driven by officers and the Crown Vic was rated much higher , for one test both cars were put into skids/spins on ice and the cop recovered in the CV everytime, while the Impala went where it wanted to go.

Cant remember where I read this though.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 05:02 PM
The Parts Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk89cat
i agree with kodiak kid, i learned how to drive, in the winter, in rear drives . its how people drive or lack there of....... all the younger generation, learned how to drive in front drives and dont know how to properly handle a rwd ,let alone drive one in the snow. i have a set of snows for all my rwd cars ,cept the 64

It's all about knowing how to drive. I'll take a RWD with good snow tires anyday over a FWD. The RWD is just so much easier to correct if/when you do start to get into trouble. Plus, you can have much more fun in a RWD car.

-Rod

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 11:49 PM

yeah, until you hit a snowbank in a parking lot doing donuts, and then yer ****ing stuck. =[

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in