Why did my "Service Engine Soon" light come on? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Why did my "Service Engine Soon" light come on?

I started my car this morning, and my "low coolant" light came on. Which isn't abnormal. I have to top it off (in the COLD weather) once a month, or so. Anyway, after about 5 minutes of driving the car, my "Service Engine Soon" light clicked on. I pulled over at a Gas Station and checked my oil. Other than looking a little dirty, I had plenty of oil. So "no oil" wasn't the case. Keeping in mind that I haven't done an oil change in about 3-4 thousand miles. Could that be the problem? This light has never clicked on before, and I have gone 4-5 thousand miles without changing my oil.

Something else that it might be, is my 180 T-stat that I have installed. Ever since I put this T-stat in, my engine temp gauge never goes horizontal (in cold weather). It takes my car about 25 minutes to heat up, so that I can even have heat, sometimes longer. If the T-stat was stuck open, or closed, would that throw the "service engine soon" light?

Is bad gas mileage a sign of blown head gaskets? I get terrible gas milage, and was just curious.

-Kornhaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 08:01 AM

Check engine light.

I'm not sure if this is the cause of the check engine light coming on, but your engine is running too cold. A 180 thermostat is not a good idea. Poor gas mileage comes from the ECC getting a cold engine signal from the coolant temp sensor. It then richens the mixture. This also causes piston ring wear as you are washing oil out of the rings with the extra fuel. I would replace the thermostat with a 195 and bleed the system carefully. Watch that coolant consumption though as that could indicate HG problems coming.
Graham, ThunderCentral.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 08:18 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
IMHO, 180 is not too cold. You're telling me that a difference of 15 degrees is going to: ruin rings, mess with the EEC, etc...

I'll agree 100% with a very low 160 and lower thermostat or no thermostat at all isn't the best thing for an engine. But 180 in not a problem (IMHO).

Scott: Is it the Check Engine Light, or is there a Servive Engine Soon light that isn't on my 94 or 95 (like those that tell you to change the oil)? If it's the C/E, then I would just have it scanned (AutoZone for free) and see what the code is. And depending on what the code it, it could easily be killing your fuel economy.

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
IMHO, 180 is not too cold. You're telling me that a difference of 15 degrees is going to: ruin rings, mess with the EEC, etc...

I'll agree 100% with a very low 160 and lower thermostat or no thermostat at all isn't the best thing for an engine. But 180 in not a problem (IMHO).

Scott: Is it the Check Engine Light, or is there a Servive Engine Soon light that isn't on my 94 or 95 (like those that tell you to change the oil)? If it's the C/E, then I would just have it scanned (AutoZone for free) and see what the code is. And depending on what the code it, it could easily be killing your fuel economy.
Nope, not C/E light... just the Service Engine Soon light. I have never has the SES light come on before... so I am a little puzzled! Any idea Don?

Don, your cluster and "face plate" shipped out today. Thank you for being patient!

-Kornhaus
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 08:53 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Sorry Scott, but nothing I have has the SES light, so I have no idea. Do you have the owner's manual? I'll bet there is a list of what will make it come on in the owner's manual. Just a thought.

I'm about ready to start driving the Cougar back and forth to work (while my T'Bird gets the body work done) and I definintely need everything working! THANKS!!

69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Okay... here is what my Owners Manual says:

Service Engine Soon Warning Light

This light illuminates when the engine's Emission Control System requires service. It will also illuminate when the ignition key is in the ON position and the engine is off.

I am thinking one of my O2 sensor could be bad. I wish I had a code reader!!!! How much are those?

I just got my emissions check last week, and I passed with flying colors! So something cant be correct!!!!

-Kornhaus
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 12:18 PM
Trumpeter Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottkornhaus
....I am thinking one of my O2 sensor could be bad. I wish I had a code reader!!!! How much are those?....

-Kornhaus
Simple code readers are available at places like Harbor Freight Tools ($40 on sale, $50 regularly), or even on eBay. More elaborate readers start at ~$100-130+...

If your question pertained to the sensors: oxygen sensors vary in price, usually in the $60-70+ range (est.). Shop around!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 07:59 PM

Running cold.

Looks like the problem began here -
'' Something else that it might be, is my 180 T-stat that I have installed. Ever since I put this T-stat in, my engine temp gauge never goes horizontal (in cold weather). It takes my car about 25 minutes to heat up, so that I can even have heat, sometimes longer. If the T-stat was stuck open, or closed, would that throw the "service engine soon" light?''
Still think it's your thermostat, causing the bad gas milage.
On the thermostat temperature this is a quote from the Federal Mogal site -
''If the thermostat needs to be replaced, install one with the same temperature rating as the original. Most cars and light trucks since 1971 require thermostats with 192 or 195 degree ratings. Using a cooler thermostat (160 or 180 degree) can increase fuel and oil consumption, ring wear and emissions. On newer vehicles with computerized engine controls, the wrong thermostat can cause major performance and emission problems if the engine fails to reach the proper operating temperature.'' Federal-Mogal
Graham, Thundercentral.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 08:42 PM
TCCoA Founder

ThunderCentral. The things you're saying about thermostats is basically true....for STOCK programmed cars. If you lower the thermostat in a stock car, the engine may never reach its desired temp and stay in closed loop mode permanently. This will cause it to run rich, etc. Scott's car, and many others on here, is running an SCT program. This changes the desired running temperature so that the car is just fine with a 180° thermostat.

Just thought you should know.

God Bless and Fly Low!

Sir William
TCCoA Founder

97 Thunderbird LX - Smoothed

99 Expedition Eddie Bauer

04 Grand Cherokee Overland
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 08:57 PM
Resident Line Creator

Send a message via AIM to th3subtl3on3
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottkornhaus
Is bad gas mileage a sign of blown head gaskets? I get terrible gas milage, and was just curious.

-Kornhaus
If you let your oil become too dirty, it will indeed decrease your fuel economy. I had this very same problem. I let my oil go a little longer than usual, and watched as my mpg decreased. Once the oil was changed, it went back to where it should be.

-Brian
1989 Mercury Cougar - Anything but the Ordinary

Fully Built 4.2 Coming Soon, Parts include:
SC Block, 4.2 Crank, Scat H Beam Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Custom Comp Cam, 3/8 Main Stud Girdle, Ported/Polished Split Port Heads and Lower Intake, Windstar Upper, Heavier Springs, 1.73 Roller Rockers, BBK Valve Covers, Kooks long tube headers, Aluminum Radiator.

It May Not Be Pretty When Finished, But It'll Perform Pretty Darn Well.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 09:06 PM
PostWhore

It says Service Engine Soon on the 97 cars, because they switched to the taurus cluster. All cars up to 96 said Check Engine

2007 White Ford Focus SE ZX3 Hatchback (The new driver)
1997 Alpine Green 4.6L Bird (SOLD!)

Mods:
Removed Air silencer, Clear Corners, Silverstar headlights and corner lights, Moroso Bluemax Spiral Core wires, Custom 3" Magnaflow exhaust with 2.5" Y-Pipe, 300-450 HP J-mod Kit by dirtyd0g , Hayden 30k GVWR Trans Cooler, Sport Front Suspension, 03-04 Cobra Rear Shocks, PBR Front Brake Swap, Xcal 2 by Lonnie @ Blueovalchips.com, 22C plugs, 180F T-stat, 02GT MAF/Airbox with K&N Drop in, Griffin Radiator, Cobra Water Pump
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 07:00 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

AH, so it is the C/E light. I never thought about it being a 97 and having the Taurus cluster.

Scott: Get it scanned and let us know.

69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 07:06 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir William
ThunderCentral. The things you're saying about thermostats is basically true....for STOCK programmed cars. If you lower the thermostat in a stock car, the engine may never reach its desired temp and stay in closed loop mode permanently. This will cause it to run rich, etc. Scott's car, and many others on here, is running an SCT program. This changes the desired running temperature so that the car is just fine with a 180° thermostat.

Just thought you should know.
OK, now this got me thinking... Yeah, scary thought huh!!

On a stock MN12, in the EEC program, at what temperature does it go to closed loop?

Anybody know?!?

I assume programmers that have to change that when they chip a car, so what is the "starting" temp so it won't throw a P0125 code (Insufficient Coolant Temperature to enter Closed Loop)?

69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 09:03 AM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

open loop is programmed to 30 seconds it doesnt go off of the heat of anything, its timed.

LOTS of people run 180* t-stats even without a chip. Does it increase wear? only very slightly. Does it decrease mileage? Not even noticeably. I've had a 180* t-stat in my car for 4 years now and I love it. It's usually right around the N or just a little before it. This increases performance and lowers the risk of detonation when running advanced timing. It is not a bad thing. Talk to any tuner and he'll tell you to get one. Talk to anyone on here and they'll recommend it too.

As for the service engine soon light, Do you have an Autozone nearby? They scan OBD-II codes for free. I dont see how a bad OBD-II o2 sensor would cause bad gas mileage if gone bad though, because those have nothing to do with engine control, only checking emissions. They're quite pointless if you ask me. But it sounds like your OBD-II sensors have caught something wrong with the motor that the eec did not catch. Possibly a rich condition or clogged cat?

-Thomas

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in