Oil Leak - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Oil Leak

Hey guys wanted to ask a Question before taking T-Bird to shop. I changed the oil Yesterday in my 94 V6 T-Bird. After I finished up I started the car and looked for any leaks! Well there was one! It appears to me that I have a Leak right above the Filter housing. I can see the oil running down the filter. I know it is not the lack of tighting/or overtighting of the filter because I wiped it clean. It looks to be coming from right above the Filter housing. If I remember there are Four nuts/bolts and that is where it seems to be leaking! Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I love the Car but it has 130,000 miles and I need to weigh my options in regards to getting it fixed. I would hope it is a gasket or something inexpensive so I can keep my baby on the road! if not I have a 94 Tbird to part out! Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostman
Hey guys wanted to ask a Question before taking T-Bird to shop. I changed the oil Yesterday in my 94 V6 T-Bird. After I finished up I started the car and looked for any leaks! Well there was one! It appears to me that I have a Leak right above the Filter housing. I can see the oil running down the filter. I know it is not the lack of tighting/or overtighting of the filter because I wiped it clean. It looks to be coming from right above the Filter housing. If I remember there are Four nuts/bolts and that is where it seems to be leaking! Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I love the Car but it has 130,000 miles and I need to weigh my options in regards to getting it fixed. I would hope it is a gasket or something inexpensive so I can keep my baby on the road! if not I have a 94 Tbird to part out! Thanks in advance!
You just noticed the oil leak for the first time after the oil filter change?

If so, I am gonna say that even though you said you tightened it up, you might have tore the rubber seal on the filter... I did that on my car long ago and was scared that i broke something.. turned out to be a bad filter seal.

Before taking it to the dealer, take the filter off, inspect the seal and if bad, replace the filter. If not, take a look up there to get a better idea of where it's leaking.

Just remember to put the filter back

John

RIP Joel Bender and Preston Smith. The world will never be the same without you.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 02:56 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

if its the filter "housing" that is the oil pump, the only thing sealing it to the timing cover is a rubber o'ring so it's very likely that that could be leaking. It would be an easy fix, very very easy. If it's not the oil filter seal then it could be the oil pump o-ring. Are you sure it's not the oil dip stick tube seal at the oil pan?
-Thomas

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

I am 99.9% Sure the Oil Filter gasket (Seal) is OK! I have had a leak before this but I never really got under to look at it until yesterdays Oil Change. Previous it was not too bad. The leak appears to be coming from Above the Oil Filter housing. I see 4 Bolts there and a drip is forming there on the bolts! What does the Filter housing attach too? I am unsure about the dipstick seal. Let me also add this! My Oil Pressure gauge fluctuates from zero to mid range often. It has done this for a long time (Since my Head gaskets were replaced under the Recall). I have had it tested and Oil pressure has been fine! What is WORST case scenario? Replace Oil Pump? Cost?? Is it worth it? Thanks for the Very fast response.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 04:06 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

at worst the oil pump gears could have worn into the timing cover too much or something and you'd need a new timing cover too. The oil pump bolts onto the timing cover. I dont remember how many botls it is, but half of them are 10mm and the other half are 8mm heads. I would not reuse those bolts either, I would buy identical new ones in grade 8. Every time Ive bolted down the oil pump those bolts have strecthed and occassionally broken. But I bet it's just the oil pump seals, I always thought it was a bad design.
-Thomas

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 12:27 PM
drag-aholic

there are 6 bolts. 3 of each side if i remember right. i just did mine about a month ago. Get a real ford part. NAPA sells the gasket and gears for $30 but i had that last time and the gasket hardened up and leaked after 3 years. i bought a whole new houseing with gears and gasket i think it was about $145. man, the new gears mesh really smooth . i could tell the differnce from what i had in there. i cleaned the area really well and layed under it while it was running and watched it drip. I used the stock bolts on mine i think the torque spec is only 18-22 ft. Lbs. it was really nice to have a new part ready to go. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS ON PRIMEING that pump. i poured oil in mine then packed vasoline over that to hold the oil in then installed it.

1989 LX Full Air Suspension
Owner / Operator BAGGEDBIRDS.com
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Talking Got Her Fixed

Hey First Thanks for the responses! I took it to the shop and they replaced the Oil Filter Housing Seal! With a New Set of Front Brakes It cost 200 even out the door! They put a sq. edge on the housing to see if it was wrapped but luckily it was fine! Back on the road and not making slick spots on t eraod amy more! Thanks Again for the info! It sure helps going into the Shop!!!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 02:09 AM

I hate to hijack the thread, but I'm having a similar problem. Could I have the same issue on an 87 3.8? Haven't really checked into it too closely, just been adding oil every week because I thought it was something that would be more costly like a timing cover or oil pan gasket.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 08:31 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Had the same problem with my 88. I would see oil dripping off the filter and thought maybe I didn't tighten it enough. With the fan blowing the oil all over under the engine it was hard to tell where it was coming from. I took the oil filter/oil pump housing off replaced the o-ring and used instant gasket, like what you use on the intake manifold on the flat surfaces. It does not leak a drop from anywhere now. There is a slight sign coming from the output shaft of the AOD. Other than that it's dry. It's a lot easier to do with the lower radiator hose removed, and not a lot of oil comes out when you remove the housing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in