code p0340 camshaft position sensor - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

code p0340 camshaft position sensor

A while back someone posted that they had this problem with a code 340. They had mentioned that the dealer gave them a price for the repair. I would like to know what was the conclusion to this. Did he get it fixed, did the dealer do a good job, is the check engine light gone, How much was the repair for. I tried to use the search function as well as going through each topic but to no avail. Any help would be appreciated as i have the same problem. I have been reluctant to take it to the dealer for fear that they may mess up my car. Right now it only bumps at start up but it runs fine. I read in a chiltons manual that this problem over time can cause major engine damage. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you tino
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 10:05 AM
Chapter Director Coordinator

camshaft position sensor on a 4.6 is really easy.. driver side valve cover

on a 3.8, it "says" it is here:
UNDER HOOD, PASSENGER SIDE, LOWER ENGINE AREA, ABOVE AND BEHIND
CRANKSHAFT PULLEY, MOUNTED ON ENGINE BLOCK

although that sounds like a crank position sensor to me... but no.. not on a pushrod V6
3.8 crankshaft sensor
UNDER HOOD, CENTER, LOWER ENGINE AREA, FRONT SIDE OF ENGINE,
PASSENGER SIDE OF CRANKSHAFT PULLEY, MOUNTED IN ENGINE BLOCK

I bust ARP bolts by hand...

If Guns kill people, then...
...pencils miss spel werds
...cars make people drive drunk
...spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat
~Gun Owners of America
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

The problem according to the actron scan tool to be exact is code p0340 Camshaft position sensor circuit malfunction. I read in the chiltons manual that it is located underneath the coil pack and that this is what replaced the distributor on the dis systems. The reason i am hesistant to do this is because i was told that i may also have to replace a gear inside which means i would have to remove the front engine cover. Somebody before had posted that they had the same problem and that they had gotten a price for the dealer. Unfortunately i think that it was probably removed from the website. If u have any info on the camshaft position sensor replacement procedure which is easier than the one on the manual i would really appreciate it if u would let me know. Thanks again tino
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 10:32 AM

on a 4.6 it is located behind the driver side coil pack in the valve cover. the camshaft sensor for a mod doesn't have a gear, it uses a little notch on the cam gear

i am unsure how it is on a V6.. maybe thomas can help you there.. i do know the crank position sensor uses a gear

I bust ARP bolts by hand...

If Guns kill people, then...
...pencils miss spel werds
...cars make people drive drunk
...spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat
~Gun Owners of America
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 11:53 AM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

thats a weird description because one descibes the 89-93 sc crank sensor location and the other describes the 94-95 sc crank sensor position. The cam sensor is located on the passenger side top of the timing cover. It's where the distributor would go on the earlier cars. It controls the fuel timing on DIS cars, not the spark. The crank sensor controls spark.
-Thomas

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 12:00 PM

ya.. figured that was weird..

but,how does a cam position sensor work in a valve cover? the 3.8 isn't OHC, its pushrod no?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 12:07 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

yeah its pushrod, thats why the cam sensor is in the timing cover, not the valve cover. It has a cog that runs off of a gear on the end of the camshaft.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 12:09 PM

hahahahh.. whoops

damn v8 guys..
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

thomas you hit it right on the nose. What i need is for somebody out there who either did this themselves or had somebody do it. If somebody did it for them i would like to know how much they had to pay. This isn't like a regular sensor where u remove it and replace it with a new one. u need a special alignment tool to place the new one in and there is the timing thing that has to be set. I wish this car had a distributor, those were a lot easier to deal with. I thank everyone for their help. If anyone else has any info i would greatly appreciate it. I can use all the help i can get. tino
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 09:20 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

i have a good one from a 90sc i could sell to you, but if you want something new contact Dan Newman at www.fordpartshq.com and he'll get you the best price you will find anywhere. There's a tech article with a how-to picture around here somewhere on timing it correctly.
-Thomas

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 12:12 PM
2nd Gear Poster

very easy job

Quote:
Originally Posted by tino
thomas you hit it right on the nose. What i need is for somebody out there who either did this themselves or had somebody do it. If somebody did it for them i would like to know how much they had to pay. This isn't like a regular sensor where u remove it and replace it with a new one. u need a special alignment tool to place the new one in and there is the timing thing that has to be set. I wish this car had a distributor, those were a lot easier to deal with. I thank everyone for their help. If anyone else has any info i would greatly appreciate it. I can use all the help i can get. tino
This is an easy 10 minute job. You don't need the alignment tool to replace the sensor itself. The sensor bolts onto the top of the drive similiar to a distributor cap. The only time you need the tool is to set the drive in the proper position if it is removed from the engine. The last sensor I bought was around 37.00 at AZ. John
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

azblackbird do u know of anyone that has done this job on a 96 with a dis system. If it as u say, i will attempt this myself. From what i see on my car i have to remove the coil pack because the sensor is underneath this pack. Does this remove the check engine light once i erase the code from the computer. I remember a while back somebody posting this problem, but i can't find it here anymore. Thanks again for your input. tino
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 01:18 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
azblackbird do u know of anyone that has done this job on a 96 with a dis system. If it as u say, i will attempt this myself. From what i see on my car i have to remove the coil pack because the sensor is underneath this pack. Does this remove the check engine light once i erase the code from the computer. I remember a while back somebody posting this problem, but i can't find it here anymore. Thanks again for your input. tino
I hate to post a how to if I don't have the hands on to back it up. But since no-one has chimed in yet I'll try to give you an idea. My experience is with the 3.8SC dis system. I'm sure the cam position sensor is in the same position on yours. The coil pack on SC is not an issue since it's on the drivers side. If the coil pack on 3.8na with dis is on the passenger side it would likely need to be unbolted and moved to access the cam sensor. I can't see that being a big issue since it wouldn't have to be moved much to access the cam sensor.
If your check engine light is indeed caused by a faulty cam sensor, replacing it will remove the light when you erase the memory. I hope I helped. John
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

azblackbird this maybe a stupid question to ask u have a distributorless system in ur 90 supercoupe. I thought that this system was put in place in the mid nineties. If u do have a distributorless system did this replacement of the sensor remove the check engine light. Also when u removed the sensor could u see inside the hole and can the little gear be seen? Pls. respond if possible. u are the only one so far that seems to have done this repair even if it's on an older vehicle. Also how much would this sensor cost.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 07:47 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
azblackbird this maybe a stupid question to ask u have a distributorless system in ur 90 supercoupe. I thought that this system was put in place in the mid nineties. If u do have a distributorless system did this replacement of the sensor remove the check engine light. Also when u removed the sensor could u see inside the hole and can the little gear be seen? Pls. respond if possible. u are the only one so far that seems to have done this repair even if it's on an older vehicle. Also how much would this sensor cost.
Yes Tino, all Supercoupe's 89-95 have distributorless ignition systems (DIS). That's why I think your system is the same except for minor relocation of some of the parts. But the cam position sensor would be in the same location on all DIS 3.8's. Replacement of the defective sensor removed the light after erasing the codes. If the gear you are talking about is the gear that meshes with the camshaft gear, then no, you cannot see this gear by taking off the sensor. After removal of the plastic sensor housing you can see the horseshoe shaped vane that triggers the sensor. Think of the sensor drive as basically replacing the distributor. When you replace the sensor itself you are only replacing the plastic housing that goes on top of the drive. It can only go on one way and is held on by two screws. I hope I successfully answered your questions. John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in