MN12Technologies Motor Mount Prototype Review - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Arrow MN12Technologies Motor Mount Prototype Review

I took some pics with my oh-so-awesome camera phone *sarcasm* and hopefully you can get an idea of what they are like. The top bolts are larger for added strength, and are 316 SS (very strong!). The bottom bolts are stock diameter but are longer and go into the aluminum more more added strength as well. The mount itself is 2/3 aluminum and 1/3 poly urethane. This combination will make a very stiff and strong mount, with a little padding for slight shock absorbing. My guess is the car will shake more, but wont absorb the small rattling vibrations, only the lope of the engine, by the way, I love my cam

Anyways, if you're interested in this product follow this thread, I'll be installing them and doing a write up on the final results and my personal account of their performance. Personally...I can't WAIT to put these on!

Now for the pics:

Left side

Right side

By the way, the mount brackets are from my old crappy fluid filled ones. So thats why they're dirty hehe, I sent them to him along with several measurements of the installed height of my current ones so he could make the mount perfectly.

-Thomas

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner

Last edited by Thomas; 02-17-2005 at 12:57 AM. Reason: added more pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 11:12 PM
Automatic Weapon

Thomas, what are you waiting for, go put them on now. You're obviously not doing anything else right now.

Come back in a few and tell us what ya think.

<----not throwing rocks at girls anymore
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Al
Thomas, what are you waiting for, go put them on now. You're obviously not doing anything else right now.

Come back in a few and tell us what ya think.
Hah, I wish I could, but my mom took it upon herself to park her lincoln in my garage space until I repair her crappy leaky air suspension
-Thomas

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 11:21 PM
Automatic Weapon

Well tell your mom to get a clue! We've got some serious test-work to do that a lot of very important people are waiting for.....like ME!

(but don't tell her that for real though, or at least don't tell her I said it!)

<----not throwing rocks at girls anymore
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Well it was nice out today so I got motivated and installed them in the driveway at my parents' place (Mom parked her car in the garage so Id fix her air shocks before I worked on my car again, sure outsmarted her hehe).

The height is about the same as my solid rubebrs were, maybe just slightly shorter, which is good. There's no problems with being a little shorter, in fact I think the stock mounts are a little shorter than the solids. Anyway, I started her up and it idles great with solid mounts, kinda lost some of the cam lope though I yanked the throttle bracket a few times and the engine doesnt torque sideways at all, but it vibrates slightly when at idle. I took it for a drive, when I first sat inside with it in park it vibrated a little. When I put it into drive it rattled a lot. I can hear some of the dash brackets rattling around. The off-line response has improved greatly. Once the rpms are up a little, probably around 1000-1200rpm the vibration goes away for the most part, but you can still feel it.

I called Julian (T-bird4vr) over for a second opinion, took him for a test drive. He said he wouldnt get both mounts for his car, but possibly the passenger side one (which is cushioned more, as seen in the pics above) and that he wouldnt put them on a stock car if you're just upgraded because your mounts went bad, the solid rubbers are a good choice for that. He also said he wouldnt use them on a lightly modded car either, they feel great for a highly modded car though, street or track. I agreed with him.

So the concensus is, dont get these if you like a smooth ride, and dont get them just to replace your bad ones. Get them strictly for performance reasons. It might be a little more tolerable with just the passenger side, so I'd reccomend a rubber driver and this alumi/poly for the passenger side if you're looking for for streetability with a bit better torque response.

I'll keep marking my experiences with them for a few weeks to see if I get used to it or change my thoughts or anything. But these mounts are awesome in my opinion, I like them a lot, great design, great quality, very durable, and great improvement on torque response. When I get my 3000 stall converter I'll see how they do then too

and on a side note - Julian returned the favor by giving me a ride in his car He just installed the smaller pulley and raised top on his autorotor and is pushing about 18psi now. I seriously dooded my pants, he floored it and the 225/60/16 tires actually hooked, surprisingly, and I my cheeks touched my ears. I couldnt move from my seat. Deffinetely has mid 12's in it.

-Thomas

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 07:29 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Kentwood
Well yeah a non or slightly modded n/a v6 is better with rubber, But I made these for modded v6's and SC's, not for granny rides, you can't get harder mounts and no vibes, gotta pay to play.

Live in Louisiana? - Check out the LA Chapter forum!
http://forums.tccoa.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=78
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 08:59 PM
13's or Mildly Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas
and on a side note - Julian returned the favor by giving me a ride in his car He just installed the smaller pulley and raised top on his autorotor and is pushing about 18psi now. I seriously dooded my pants, he floored it and the 225/60/16 tires actually hooked, surprisingly, and I my cheeks touched my ears. I couldnt move from my seat. Deffinetely has mid 12's in it.

-Thomas
That I like to hear I'll be asking for a ride when I'm out in April.. and I'm pretty sure if he comes over to the Dyno/Tune, there will be a few people wanting to go for a ride.

-Andy "Melon"

1994 Thunderbird SC 3.8L Supercharged
1999 Crown Victoria P71 4.6
2000 Explorer 5.0
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 10:09 PM
PostWhore

I LOVE the ones in my V8. It is just what I needed. I had mine chained for saftey, because I was worried it would rip the stock one apart. These hold it just fine, and no need for the chain any more. I am sure I will have better reaction times with them now also, since the power is going to the rear end instantly, instead of lifting the left side of the engine first. A side advantage is they weigh less

-----1993 Bird 5.0------
393 stroker, Vortech YSi, on E85
Lentech Strip Terminator & 4,000+ RPM stall converter
Detroit Locker with 3.55 gears.
17x9 Cobra Rs with 255/45/17 BFG KWDS
275/50/17 M&H DR on the rear

Click for Full Project
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentwood
Well yeah a non or slightly modded n/a v6 is better with rubber, But I made these for modded v6's and SC's, not for granny rides, you can't get harder mounts and no vibes, gotta pay to play.
Yeah I'm just clarifying for anyone who might want to get them and think they'll still have a smooth ride.

Kentwood, check out my other thread at SCCoA, they are loving this idea, and XR7 Dave has got a good idea about rubber. It wouldnt affect the strength of it since the bolts actually connect the mount together without the poly isolator, so I think a rubber isolator would be just as durable with less vibrations.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthre...053#post380053

-Thomas

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 08:24 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Kentwood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas
Yeah I'm just clarifying for anyone who might want to get them and think they'll still have a smooth ride.

Kentwood, check out my other thread at SCCoA, they are loving this idea, and XR7 Dave has got a good idea about rubber. It wouldnt affect the strength of it since the bolts actually connect the mount together without the poly isolator, so I think a rubber isolator would be just as durable with less vibrations.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthre...053#post380053

-Thomas

Negative, the rubber will be to soft and will compress out radially to much. Also it will be prone to cracking. Plus it would kinda defeat the whole purpose - if you want rubber buy them from rich at mn12performance.

Normal rubber in a bushing is around 40-60 on the durometer. The poly I use is 80 and has over 4x the tensile strength of the typical neoprene rubber.

There is something that maybe I can do to help soften the vibes some - I'll send you a revised driver side mount that is like the pass side. I can also use a little softer poly.

Live in Louisiana? - Check out the LA Chapter forum!
http://forums.tccoa.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=78

Last edited by Kentwood; 02-19-2005 at 08:29 PM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentwood
Negative, the rubber will be to soft and will compress out radially to much. Also it will be prone to cracking. Plus it would kinda defeat the whole purpose - if you want rubber buy them from rich at mn12performance.

Normal rubber in a bushing is around 40-60 on the durometer. The poly I use is 80 and has over 4x the tensile strength of the typical neoprene rubber.

There is something that maybe I can do to help soften the vibes some - I'll send you a revised driver side mount that is like the pass side. I can also use a little softer poly.
Yeah I guess they would have a shorter lifespan as a result, well that revising sounds good. Let me know what you come up with
-Thomas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in