What's happening????? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Angry What's happening?????

Ok, so i got this brand new 3.8 put in my 94 LX. It has about 16000km on the new motor. Since then, I put a y pipe on and eliminated the muffler. This motor has never run without my K&N. Anyways, I had this rattle.. it was the heat shield on the cat, so i welded it back. Now, i have like a fluttering kinda sound. I thought it was the heat shield again, but i just checked it, and they are both solid. Now I'm wondering if it's the valves.. Is there enough backpressure without the muffler? I still have the resonator on it. My heads have not been re-torqued yet, should that be done? Another problem is that sometime, only when the engine's hot, my oil pressure drops. Today it dropped so low the light came on. But it only drops when you put it in gear with your foot on the brake and leave it there. As soon as you touch the gas, all oil pressure comes back. Last time I had my oil pressure drop was because a rod blew and i needed a new engine. And then there's my tranny... somebody said it's the torque converter, and i should do a complete tranny drain. It shudders in second and 3rd, vibrating a lot. So, there's my problems. Can anyone help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 08:32 PM
jay
4th Gear Poster

hey smart guy its a 95 not 94........lol just playing josh........hehehehehehehe dont beat me up..

1990 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L V6 N/A
SOLD

1989 Ford Thundebird 3.8L V6 N/A (PARTS CAR) GONE

My Bird
MY BIRD ON SOUND DOMAIN
TCCOA PAGE
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

haha, thanks for catching that jay. ofcourse i won't beat you up, you're too little. lol
YES IT'S A 95 LX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 10:25 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

the fluttering could be an exhaust leak, but its hard to say. If you think its a valve (which I doubt but who knows) take a screw driver, put the handle to your ear, and the tip of it to the valve cover. Try positioning it over each cylinder on both valve covers. It acts like a stethescope and you can pin point the noise.

when the motor is in drive it idles at a lower rpm than it does in park, and then with the brake applied it sucks some air from the motor for the braking power, so there's a lot of strain on the motor at that time, and the rpm's drop even more. So I might assume that the oil pump is worn out a bit and needs replacing if its not producing the kind of PSI it should be. By the way, the oil pressure gauge is a dummy, it only tells you wether theres pressure or not, so if its up, there's pressure, if its down, there's none. You might consider getting a real oil pressure gauge to see what psi its putting out.
-Thomas

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

hey Thomas, thanks for the help. I actually talked to a mechanic yesterday about the oil pressure, he suggested it was the pump too, but also said I should put a gauge on it and see what PSI I'm running at. As far as that fluttering sound goes.. I put the stock exhaust back on today, mostly because I was bored with the drony sound, and so I could actually hear what's happening in the engine. I took it for a run, came home and put the stethescope to it. Valve covers and exhaust manifold. I couldn't really hear a difference on the valve covers between each cylinder, but on the exhaust, there was only one cylinder that sounded a little different from the others. I think tomorrow, I may torque the exhaust manifold a little bit and see what happens.

So, I have about 3000KM left on my engine warranty... I'm just going to bring it in and tell them what's happening. I'm better off doing this now before it's too late. This will most likely happen on monday.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Oh yeah, there's enought backpressure with just the resonator and a y-pipe, isn't there? My gf's boyfriend said I should watch for a valve knock, same with my dad..
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 06:49 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to ECU_Q
My gf's boyfriend, huh? Isnt that you?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 06:58 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua
Oh yeah, there's enought backpressure with just the resonator and a y-pipe, isn't there? My gf's boyfriend said I should watch for a valve knock, same with my dad..

haha I hope thats a typo, unless youre a swinger.

Anyways yeah, if its under warranty make them do the work, its not your problem. The exhaust backpressure wont be a problem, I've got 2.25" true duals. The only time you'd have problems with backpressure would be open headers or dumped downtubes.
-Thomas

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 07:03 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to joshbea6
that's what I was wondering...............

1997 LX Sport 4.6L 2.73 , MODS=SCT tuned/J-Mod/Trans Cooler/Dyno max Cat-Back/NgkPlugs/Mac cold air/March UD's/FRPP aluminumcarrier3.73's(spare for strip use)/ PI cams + PI intake manifold w/adapter plate/ Mark VIII Convertor/80mm L-Maf/70mm TB/ Mark VIII 1 piece shaft/Cobra R' wheels/ Kumhos 235/60/16 - White leather w/ blue cloth seats - white face gauges in 95 cluster
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

yeah, sorry, that was a typo. It should have said "my gf's BROTHER" lol. It's midterm time and my brain is fried... I'm gonna call the garage tomorrow and see when they can have a look at it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in