Supercoupe S/C on 3.8 92 Cougar LS? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 01:39 AM Thread Starter

Smile Supercoupe S/C on 3.8 92 Cougar LS?

Hello, i am new to this forum, i am currently a member of v6mustang.com, a v6 mustang forum. I own a 2004 v6 mustang 3.9L (same darn thing as a 3.8 except crank) and a 1992 Mercury Cougar LS 3.8 (hah i was reading the post about "you know you have a 3.8 when...." yea head gaskets, can't live with them, cant live without them)

Well anyhow i was comming accros an idea to put the roots style supercharger from the supercoupe onto my mustang, but then i got an even better idea that seems more easy to do (since its probably more similar of an engine) to put the roots blower off of a supercoupe onto the v6 cougar. Has this been done before and whats needed to complete the swap?

Do you need just intake manifold with the blower? Or are the heads differnt too? OR is the whole block differnt? could you just retune the computer on the cougar, or do you need to swap out the computer out of a supercoupe as well?

If the top part isnt possible or practical, i was wondering about swapping out the 5 speed transmission out of a supercoupe and putting it in the cougar.
My transmission is about to blow on it and i'd rather just put a stick in it from a junkyard, has this swap ever been done?

Thank you I appreciate all the help i can get from you guys. I might end up selling the automatic 04 mustang if i can get this thing blown and made a stick! j/k lol but i think it would make it a fun car to have around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 09:54 AM

Everything, or almost is differant from a S.C. to an N.A. application. The block has a knock sensor, the crank is forged, intercooler, intercooler tubing. and on, more than I feel like typing. The easiest way would be to sell the car and buy a car that is a S.C. or XR7. Your other route is to find a S.C. that has been wrecked and start switching parts over. Still a big job. Just my 2 cents. Save yourself a lot of headaches and put a v8 in it. S.C. setups are an expensive pain in the neck. If I would have known what I do now I would have pulled the v6 out of my S.C. and put a blown 460 in it for less.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 02:46 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 8ate8
It's not worth the effort to put the sc blower onto an n/a mn12. The engines have different components to make the 3.8 capable of handling the added boost. also has lower compression ratio in the sc engine.

And sorry, but you have a 3.8L. It might be physically closer to 3.9L, but it's still considered by ford to be a 3.8

Jersey Rice
NJ Thunderbird & Cougar Club
Sold '96 Thunderbird LX 3.8l :: Cardomain Page
'93 Thunderbird SC 3.8l - 12 second car. 14 second driver.
'05 Toyota X-Runner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 02:54 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ate8
It's not worth the effort to put the sc blower onto an n/a mn12. The engines have different components to make the 3.8 capable of handling the added boost. also has lower compression ratio in the sc engine.

And sorry, but you have a 3.8L. It might be physically closer to 3.9L, but it's still considered by ford to be a 3.8
No, its a 3.9L Since 2004 there has been no 3.8L, the crank and bore was changed to make it 3.9L

Look for an ebay junker or around junkyards for a 90-95 supercoupe 5-speed. Buy it, and swap everything from it to your car. That would be the easiest thing to do. I wouldnt put an m90 on a 3.8 NA block, its not worth the risk of blowing it when you could swap the whole motor in. Just swap in the motor, all the wiring, the computer, gauge cluster, tranny, driveshaft, rear differential, halfshafts. It'd be easy to do with the car the parts are coming from right there with you.

-Thomas

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 03:02 PM
Boom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas
No, its a 3.9L Since 2004 there has been no 3.8L, the crank and bore was changed to make it 3.9L

Yep...the available Mustang engines in 2004 are:

3.8L* OHV 12-valve V-6 193 hp Standard, Pony
3.9L OHV 12-valve V-6 193 hp Standard, Pony
4.6L SOHC 16-valve V-8 260 hp GT
4.6L DOHC 32-valve V-8 305 hp Mach 1
4.6L DOHC 32-valve V-8 390 hp Cobra
*Replaced mid-year

TCCoABAMFC - Founding Member
Official Member of the TCCoA Evil Underground Moderator Conspiracy
TCCoA Gun Club

2003 Mach 1 - 4.6L DOHC V8/4R70W

1995 Cougar XR7 - PI 4.6L SOHC V8

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in