friend brought by a car....cant get plugs out - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

friend brought by a car....cant get plugs out

Well a buddy of mine from school brought by his 91 Tbird(lx not sc) and it has 187K on it. Well I was to just doing some basic matinence on it for him, till I went to swap plugs...the plug "boots" were melted to the plug, so i spent close to an hour getting all the boots and wires off in pieces and slowly started noticing that all the sparkplug tips(cant think of the name, where the boot goes over and where it "plugs" in) were all rusty. after the melted boots/wires, and the rusty plugs I asked him when was the last time the plugs were changed. His reply was, We have never changed it since my mom owned the car(got it witha round 20k on it) so now, I was like this is going to be a nightmare and started trying to take the plugs out....not a single one would budge, so I got some penitrating lube sprayed alot on each one, let it sit for an hour, then tried again. I even tryed using a cheater bar...close to 3foot long....would not budge. So I take and put the new wires on, then drive the car and get it warmed up(hoping it would make it easier to get plugs out) no dice....So does anyone have any advice on how to get these plugs out? Its a pain in the *** to get to them because of the angle, let alone that I cant break them loose...ANY help would be apprecated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 07:12 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I only have 2 suggestions and I dont even like them.
Air tools
Remove the head.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowez
I only have 2 suggestions and I dont even like them.
Air tools
Remove the head.

I never thought about using airtools, well I did but not what i exactly wanted to do...I'll try tomorrow...But Hopefully I wont mess anything up....

removing the head...If I gotta do that, then.....It looks like I wont be doing that for him...lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 07:58 PM
PostWhore

If I was in your shoes I would let him try to remove them. Or at least make sure he is aware of the negative possibilities. Friend or not when it comes to money people get shady and removing the heads is $$$.

Im against the idea of air tools to remove the plugs but that is your call. I would try letting some PB blaster sit overnight and use a 5' steel bar over wrench to get some leverage. You only need to loosen them with it.

Some supercharged cars blow.......Others just pick up and move.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 08:56 PM

wonder if you can take a propane torch to the sparkplugs.

that usually works for me.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 01:06 AM

Im just curious how that beast runs with plugs that old
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 01:37 PM
Tom

I have the same problem. I was afraid I was going to snap the plugs in half but I pushed/pulled on and got the 4/5/6 slots (the ones on the driver side). I am stuck on the passenger side ones though. There isnt enough room to work with and I cant get a good position to loosen it.

The last time I was at pep boys I asked their service center how much it would cost them to do the 3 plugs. They put my car into the computer and said $100 for the labor. I figure I would be better off just buying the proper tools to do it and get more out of it.

Would a power rachet work (not air power)? I saw one by black and decker that is like the power screw drivers they have. It would be much more cost effective to get that, but im not sure if it has the necessary power.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 02:35 PM

u-joints, good strong tools and a long pipe. my floor jack handle is the perfect cheater pipe.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 01:05 AM
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenmachines_e2
my floor jack handle is the perfect cheater pipe.

That is a great idea.... I shall try that.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Ive tried all the above things, tried air tools, Electric impact gun, breaker bars, took a 6 foot length of steel pipe over the end of the wrentch and i put my full body weight on it...would not budge...I guess its time for him to figure out what to do now...Thanks for all the suggestions though guys, jsut wish I could have got those out for him, its a miracle that it still even runs...
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 10:47 PM
TCCoA Founder
Administrator

I've broken 3/8" drive stuff what that kind of leverage. But my full body weight probably has a bit on yours.

God Bless and Fly Low!

Sir William
TCCoA Founder

97 Thunderbird LX - Smoothed

99 Expedition Eddie Bauer

04 Grand Cherokee Overland
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 10:58 PM
PostWhore

No kidding...Not one of them moved? Its only aluminum...You sure you are going the right way? LOL.

That kind of leverage should have done something.

Some supercharged cars blow.......Others just pick up and move.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 11:02 PM
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman232
Ive tried all the above things, tried air tools, Electric impact gun, breaker bars, took a 6 foot length of steel pipe over the end of the wrentch and i put my full body weight on it...would not budge...I guess its time for him to figure out what to do now...Thanks for all the suggestions though guys, jsut wish I could have got those out for him, its a miracle that it still even runs...
I know this is probably an obvious.... but are you positive your turning the rachet the right way? If all else fails go to a mechanic... pepboys quoted me $100 to change them.

Your post got me a little concerned... not sure if I could do my 1/2/3 plugs now . Any suggestions on how to get a good grasp on those? Its hard to lean into them or anything since your pushing them into the windshield direction and its deep inside the engine bay
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 04:01 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir William
I've broken 3/8" drive stuff what that kind of leverage. But my full body weight probably has a bit on yours.
LOL only a 3/8 I've done 1/2 on my old engine.

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
93 5.0 Tbird
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Yeah, I'm sure I was turning it(well trying to turn) the right way. But I finially tried again tonight and got them out.

Basicially I was thinking, Get more room to work. So I pulled the hood off, and the ac compressor thing, so I had a nice amount of room. took the socket a u jount, breaker bar, and then grabbed this wierd looking tool I found in the garage...no clue what it is. its like a crowbar, with a box end wrench on the other side...its roughly 5 foot long, and weights around 10lbs...hard to explain it...my dad didnt even know waht it was, it was something of my grandfathers...but neways, slipped the end over the breakerbar, then I basicially used my weight and slowly pushed into the bar....I will say, from all the high milage, poorly taken care of cars, this must have been the worst...and at school, we get some pretty horribal cars in there....

as to why it worked today...no clue, Who knows, I could have been doing something stupid, but owell. I will say, though, after I got the plugs out/changed, I put on a nice amount of antiseze on teh plugs
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir William

I got 280lbs....As to why that didnt work yesterday...I have no clue
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 08:15 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Probaly created enought fatigue in the corrosion.

93 SC Tbird
93 5.0 Tbird
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 08:18 PM

i was also going to suggest trying to tighten them a little first, because often times that can break the corrosion on it.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 10:21 AM

Try it cold.

Instead of heating it up, try cooling it down. the plugs themselves. Go to an electronic repair store and get some "Super Freeze" and douse them. You could hypothetically use freon but that would be frowned upon by the guy over there hugging a tree.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 02:40 AM
Sweet T

Send a message via AIM to SanDiegoLXBird
I use air tools to pull plugs all the time at work.. but only when the plugs themselves are already crap. Hasn't hurt a head.. it just shatters the porcelain upper.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 09:07 PM

i vote on pb blaster, its a great great thing....especially on tractors lol
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 11:05 PM

Airtools will work. Airtools are always safer than a breaker bar anyways in this situation.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 10:37 AM

*blink*

How on earth did you come to that conclusion?
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 11:16 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

i disagree with airtools, most dont have the power and leverage that a breaker bar has. and as the feron, its a good idea , but with the current increase in 134a would you really want to blow that kinda of money? its outragous, 250-300 for a 30 lbs can . for somethign that was 50 -100 less than a year ago .

64 ford galaxie -FE powered beast!- sleeping giant
69 cougar standard- 347/c6 -efi restomod, heidts prog 4 link heavily modified front, custom strutrods boxed lowers rollerperches 620 lowering springs! meier shock tower brace
96 f150 supercab lifted beast! 351 powered beast
87 shasta roadmaster 29ft travel trailer- pimpdaddy camping!
mn12 less!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in