02 sensor problem - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Cool 02 sensor problem

Here is my problem I changed my 02 sensor today because the scanner was showing 172 I still have the same problem and I looked at the voltage on the scanner shows Loop status Open. Bank1 0.00 and it was like that before I changed the 02sensor thought that will help now my only guess maybe the ECU
any help will be greatly Appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 09:00 PM

Make sure that you disconnect the negative battery terminal for 60 seconds or more to reset the computer and the codes, than take a reading just to make sure everything is good.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

I have tried that and I changed the Ecu I still get the same

Bank1 O2 Sensor v0.00

bank 2 is showing a good voltage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 09:56 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to bad93bird
Check the wiring harness at the firewall to the sensor. Mske sure none of the little prongs inside of the connectors have pushed out of the connectors. Start at the connectors at the passenger side firewall and work your way to the sensor. It has to be in there somewhere. Good luck.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Tried that and I put some contact cleaner to it
I thought the Computer was bad but I still get the same voltage reading from the new o2 sensor 0.00 my driver side is fine the out put is 0.2 to 0.7 volts I unplug it and i get a voltage of 0.04 I think but nothing like that on the passanger side

thank you for the help !
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 10:22 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

What about at the PCM? Did you check there. Sometimes that connector doesn't go on straight. It has got to be in the harness or it could be the sensor. No can't be the sensor. Hmmmmm.... I'm thinking that the PCM puts out more than that to them. I could be wrong. I'd have to check. You get nothing with the sensor disconnected? Measure the harness voltage. Then start up the car and let it get hot. Then while it is running, measure the O2 voltage at the sensor with the connectors disconnected. I'm goning to go look at my books. I'll be back in a minute.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

I tried that and i get a good voltage from the 02 sensor
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 10:44 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Heated Exhaust Gas Oxygen sensor detects oxygen in the exhaust gassess. It sends a voltage signal to the PCM. The sensor is electrically heated so the sensor output signal stabilizes more quickly.
HEGO signal: -key off, disconnect HEGO connector 0.5 volts or greater HEGO may
-connect DMM between HEGO signal and be bad
negative (-) battery terminal
-Run engine for 2 minutes at 2000 RPM
HEGO response -key off, disconnect HEGO connector voltage drops may be faulty
to exhasut -connect DMM between HEGO SIGNAL and fluctuates HEGO
and(-) battery terminal
-run engine for 2 minutes at 2K RPM
-create vacuum leak (disconnect hose at
intake manifold)
HEGO element -key off, disconnect HEGO connector 2 to 5 ohms at HEGO heater
heater -connect DMM between Key Power room temp. element faulty
and Power Ground at sensor connector
Key Power -key off, disconnect HEGO connector 10.5 volts or Check harness
-connect DMM between Key power and greater wiring and
Power Ground at vehicle connector grounds
-key on
I hope that helps. So I guess the O2 sensor does create its own voltage. If yours is not doing it, then it may also be bad. It can happen. Take it back.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation

the 02 sensor is good I tested it with my fluke what i dont understand is I let the car warm up Drivers side is showing 0.02-0.07 unpluged its showing a 0.04 i think.tried the same to the passanger side nothing on the scanner log it shows voltage at 0.00 i unplug the wiring harness and it stays the same 0.00 test the 02 sensor and it shows a good voltage I have changed the computer with a good one and the same thing happens I traced down the wireing and it all looks good
Im thinking I might have a bad ground somewhere

Last edited by Joe_Schmo; 02-21-2005 at 11:16 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 08:24 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Have you physically measured each and every wire to the O2 and then to the PCM. Just because they look good, doesn't always mean they are. I've had this problem with many cars. Ford's included. Take some time and check it all.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

I tested the passanger side 02 sensor wireing from the plug to the pcm pin's with a multimeter all four wires everything is fine I have tried 3 Pcm's a few o2 sensors
and the scanner brings the same thing up

Bank 1 02 sensor 0.00
Bank2 02 sensor 0.02-0.06

now with the car running i unpluged the passanger side harness amd tested the sensor shows a good voltage I dont know what my problem is
I have tried new sensors,plugs,wires,cap and rotor im about to give up
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 10:43 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Man, this is really hard without the car in front of me. I'm sure there is an answer there somewhere. It has got to be in the wiring or connector somewhere. If I was in IL, I could help. Sorry! Is there anybody else in IL that can help this dude? Come on. Some body with good electronics skill has to be in IL. Keep trying man. It may be something else too. I don't know. You might try emailing Lonnie. I don't think he will respond to P.M.'s anymore. Go do a search and put in Lonnie. He may have an answer for you.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

found out my problem bad ground or a bad injector I have checked all the ground wires that come from the battery to the motor and firewall ect tomorrow im going to swap out driverside injectors with some good ones
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

found a schematic for my car and I found that the wire that has 5 volts from the pcm showed nothing so i traced it down to the pin spliced into the wire at the pcm ran it to the 02 harness and now its reading the return signal

now about the injectors I thought I had something serious I was running rich on my drivers side I changed the cap wires checked compression ect well I was about to give up on this Bird heck after all it was Free well tonight I cut the catalytic converters off now she runs like a Raped Ape

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in