god the plumbing on these things are awful - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

god the plumbing on these things are awful

even the plugs and stuff i tag labeled, i cant find... for those of you who dont know i was replacing the head gaskets, so right now im at the wiring harness got the fuel rail bolted in, btw THOMAS i figured out the injector harness part, anyway im gonna get pictures up of all the plugs/ male-female, hoses and such, and hope you guys can help me, as for now...as dumb as this sounds...

i cant figure out how the ac goes back on, the whole system pully and all it has 4 bolt holes that run left to right but i need something to run front to back, i have one stud comming out the side of the head and 3 holes...does anyone have any pictures of their ac system, i just for the life of me cant figure it out..lol

thanks and ill try to get pictures posted soon of the other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 12:29 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

the accessory bracket bolts to the block and head, and the ac compressor bolts onto the accessory bracket.

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

does anyone have a picture of this bracket, lol i knew i was missing someting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

and....

post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 07:28 AM

Thats your heeater hoses, IIRC. They bolt onto the exhaust manifold studs once thats been bolted down.

And the AC bracket goes on the passenger side. Just try to put it on there, it will all make sense.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 10:41 AM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

you need to install the accessory bracket before you put the AC compressor on. The bracket should have an idler pulley on it as well.

And brockenmachines is right, that bracket bolts onto the exhaust manifold stud. Then that hose goes to the connecting at the front of the lower manifold that you have hilighted.

-Thomas

post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
And the AC bracket goes on the passenger side. Just try to put it on there, it will all make sense.
lol i appreciate your guys help, i knew that it went on the passenger side, my problem was i didnt know/couldnt find the bracket, so im trying to ram the ac onto the stud comming outta the head, shorty after that i realized that wasnt the way..lol

its all mounted up, as i said in my "pushrod" thread ill have some pictures up..and ill post them in this thread!

thanks again guys
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
And brockenmachines is right, that bracket bolts onto the exhaust manifold stud. Then that hose goes to the connecting at the front of the lower manifold that you have hilighted.

dammit i already bolted those and everything...looks like im gonna cut that thing off and zip tie it outta the way...
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

first off im gonna post these pictures, i really dont know an organized way to do this, so ill just number the picture, if you see somehting in "picture 4" that connects to whatever "picture 3" just tell me like that i guess
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 12:05 AM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolledthatho
dammit i already bolted those and everything...looks like im gonna cut that thing off and zip tie it outta the way...

It attaches to the stud. There's a bolt with two threaded sides to it, one goes into the head to hold on the manifold, then the bracket slides over the other threaded side and a nut screws on over it to hold it on.
-Thomas

post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

ok here goes, sorry in advance for the cluster of confusion, any help to get me thru this is and will be appreciated!!!

post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
It attaches to the stud. There's a bolt with two threaded sides to it, one goes into the head to hold on the manifold, then the bracket slides over the other threaded side and a nut screws on over it to hold it on.

i know exactly what your talking about....YOUR AWESOME
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 12:37 AM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
#1 The vacuum hose from the EVR solenoid goes here. The EVR is on the back passenger side of the engine comparment on the thunderbird 3.8 IIRC. Its a black thing with two wires and two vacuum hoses going into it and is round on the top.

#2 That's the egr pressure sensor. This will be one of the last things you need to hook up. The hose goes onto the egr pipe. The wire plug is very obvious.

#3 That's your PVC pipe. You should worry about that when you are installing the upper intake. It plugs into the bottom side of the upper intake on the drivers side and runs to the PCV valve on the back of the passenger valve cover. Looks like it might also be the hose for #9, but I'm thinking no. I haven't done heads on a 3.8 in forever but have done MANY.

#4 Don't know. My cougar had that and it was never plugged in. Plus look at it. It's covered in dirt. It hasn't been plugged into anything

#6 The hoses hook into metal pipes that run places I cant remember. Look at it once you get everything else out of the way and it will make total sense.

#9 This has a hose/line that runs back to the intake tube which is the last thing you put back on the car.

I hope your EGR pipe isnt cracked. I broke one the first time I ever did heads on a 3.8 by bending it back.

Hope this helps some more!
-Rob

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
#3 That's your PVC pipe. You should worry about that when you are installing the upper intake. It plugs into the bottom side of the upper intake on the drivers side and runs to the PCV valve on the back of the passenger valve cover. Looks like it might also be the hose for #9, but I'm thinking no. I haven't done heads on a 3.8 in forever but have done MANY.

im not too sure about this one, ill definatly look, but i dont see anyway possible it goes under the upper intake, its metal line that WONT MOVE more than 2 inches up and down and 1/2 inch side to side, looks like some sort of power steering line...and its like up at the accessory belt...

and yes this does get me THAT much closer to being done, it definatly helps...!
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 12:10 PM
Motorboatin' SOB
Headlight Cleaning Guru

Send a message via AIM to big mike
man, your in a bind, hehe. that will teach you label things as you tear down the engine

a green wire plugs into the top of the egr valve.

in #3, i dont think that is a pcv line. the pcv is located near the firewall. try to see where both ends go, then tell us where both ends lead to.

in your second pic near the top, the other end of the rubber hose plugs into the water pump. there are two openings on the top of the pump, a curved hose goes into the left opening, and that other hose goes into the right opening.

2014 GT
1990 300ZX TT
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 12:57 PM
Full Metal

Send a message via AIM to RedThunder94 Send a message via Yahoo to RedThunder94
whew, man, those pics bring back memories, lol, not good ones at that, either, good luck, later'z.....

Smash Forehead on Keyboard to Continue....

2004 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
Pioneer DEH-P6000UB Infinity 2 way 6x8's, and Eclipse 5x7 3 ways, Fultron Tweets, Infinity 1211A, Alpine SWR-1222D Type-R 12.

1999 VW New Beetle SOLD!

1990 F150 Lariat Xlt 4.9L std cab longbed, E4OD, Work Truck.

1994 F150 XL 5.0L 4R70W Current Project.

Member of the MN12Online posse.

click here to check 'em out.
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

hahahahah guys im pretty glad to say im almost done, the only thing i cant figure out is that one plug i showed behind the alternator pic 4 and 5, surely like rob said, it dosent go into anything...

the only other thing i havent got hook up is.... the little breather nipple thing on the oil filler neck (dont know what goes there...) and that metal routed piping, however i found the other end of it...it runs over and down under/behind the AC and along the passenger side quarter panel to the front most (right behind pass headlight..) of the airbox, its hooked into the airbox, but where does the other end go
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 02:23 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

The plug in 4/5 is could probable be the connector for the other type of ECT sensor (there are two or three as I found out in my replacement, a one wire and a 2 wire one).
That metal tube probably plugs in to a canister/evaperator.
The only neck is one from a 5.0 so it does plug into the PVC hose, or the line that runs from the main intake tube to the far valve cover.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 02:28 PM
Motorboatin' SOB
Headlight Cleaning Guru

i highlighted the routing of that tube. it runs from the connection on the oil filler neck to the side if the intake tube. the tube has a 90 degree rubber elbow, and the middle part is either plastic or metal.

im pretty sure that connector in #4 and 5 doesnt go anywhere.

2014 GT
1990 300ZX TT
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 03:00 PM

Breather

For picture 9, in my car this hose goes to air filter box... if I remember right.
post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
highlighted the routing of that tube. it runs from the connection on the oil filler neck to the side if the intake tube. the tube has a 90 degree rubber elbow, and the middle part is either plastic or metal.
thanks so much guys i dont have that hose, dont even recall taking it off, is it of major importance? i can get some hose and put there, just wont have the 90 elbow for easy routing but that really want matter what happens if i dont run it?

thanks guys i have a pretty big schedule this week so i hope i can finish soon, but i will definatly let everyone know... the only thing i need to find is the metal pipe/line comming out of the airbox and down and under/around the bottom of the ac...ill try to figure it out tomm

thanks

britt

Last edited by rolledthatho; 03-01-2005 at 11:20 PM.
post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 11:29 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

that hose is half of the PCV routing system. The other half goes from the passenger side valve cover to underneath the upper manifold as previously mentioned somewhere above relating to another one of your questions. You cannot just delete half of the PCV system that will Eff it all up. You either have to delete it all and move the PCV vacuum hose to a spot on the manifold so it still gets vacuum, or leave it as is and buy some hose and route it. Whatever you do, do NOT plug the valvecover nipple, that would be a bad idea. You'd have to use mini breather filters, and at idle you will smell oil fumes.
-Thomas

post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

thomas are you referring to the oil filler neck that big mike higlighted the hose of?

i definatly wouldnt plug it, i would either leave it open or buy a couple feet of hose...seeing as it is that significant i will definatly gets some hose!
post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 11:44 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

yeah, dont leave it open, you dont want dust and whatever else going in through that tube. You'd want to put a breather hose over it, but in that case like I said, you'd have to delete the entire system.
-Thomas

post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

ok understood...ill just get a couple feet of hose from autozone..
post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

heres another picture, of that dang metal pipe

post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 10:24 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Stevinator
picture #7, #9, & #6

first picture 9

that tube goes to the intake arm on the right hand side. it should plug right in.

second picture 7

i have some experience with that little **** bag. it is the exhaust recycle valve. there is going to be two vacumn hoses that are involved.

first goes from that little nipple on top of it to the electrical connector that fits over the exhaust manifold that also holds the transducer.

the second goes from the same electrical connector the upper intake manifold. there ought to be 3 plugs on the windshield side of the upper intake manifold. the top is were that hose in picture 6 goes on the large top nipple (i like saying nipple). that other small one goes into the small nipple on the bottom.

that other vacumn hose that you have circled in picture 7 goes into the other small nipple.
post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 01:53 PM
Motorboatin' SOB
Headlight Cleaning Guru

i think that metal tube MAY plug into the opening on the oil filler neck, judging by where the end of it stops. do you have a short piece of rubber hose laying around when you started taking things apart? does your intake tube have an opening in the side like mine?

2014 GT
1990 300ZX TT
post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

nah mike, it dosent for sure....that metal pipe isnt supposed to be up that high, it can move up and down all day long, with some manuevering of pullys and such, but it cant move front to back... i think it goes down twards the pwer steering pump SOMEWHERE... up under all that alternator mess...
post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 04:02 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
The end of it seriously looks like the thing that plugs in underneath the plenum for vacuum, but its wierd for it to run up there. Does it possibly run to the charcoal canister on the very front passenger side? I dont remember any line like this on the front of my 3.8s.
-Rob

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in