temp guage going nuts HELP - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

temp guage going nuts HELP

lately my temp guage has been going crazy and it will jump all the way to H and then level out. ive topped off the fluid a few times and it'll be down again a few days later. i just got done checking for leaks and i couldnt find one. there is no coolant in the oil what else could it be? i dont know if it's related or not but my heater has been acting strange lately too. it is only warm intermittently. could it be a bad heater core?
how involved would changing the sending unit? any thoughts would be helpful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 06:36 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to ECU_Q
Man that is crazy, I was just going to post about the same exact same thing. At first i thouht it was the heater core. Could it also be the temp sensor?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 07:00 PM
Trumpeter Extraordinaire

From the 1993 Serviec Manual:

PINPOINT TEST E: TEMPERATURE GAUGE INACCURATE

E1 TEST SENDER CIRCUIT AT LOW

Insert Rotunda Instrument Gauge, System Tester 021-00055 or equivalent. Disconnect connector at sender and connect tester to cluster side of connector. Set to 74 ohms.

Does gauge read 'C'?

Yes
GO to «E2».

No
GO to «E3».

E2 TEST SENDER CIRCUIT AT HIGH

Set Gauge System Tester to 10 ohms.

Does gauge read 'H'?

Yes
REPLACE sender.

No
GO to «E3».

E3 CHECK SENDER CIRCUIT WIRING

Check sender circuit wiring and cluster flex circuit for shorts or opens with Rotunda Digital Volt-Ohmmeter 007-00001 or equivalent.
Is wiring OK?

Yes
REPLACE gauge.

No
SERVICE wiring/flex circuit. GO to «B1» .

(B1 is additional testing for "Inoperative Temerature Gauge")

Temperature Sender

Removal and Installation

1. Disconnect the lead wire from the temperature sender.

WARNING:
NEVER REMOVE THE RADIATOR CAP UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES WHILE THE ENGINE IS OPERATING. FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS COULD RESULT IN SERIOUS PERSONAL INJURY FROM HOT COOLANT OR STEAM BLOW OUT (AND/OR DAMAGE TO THE COOLING SYSTEM OR ENGINE). SWITCH OFF THE ENGINE AND WAIT UNTIL IT HAS COOLED. EVEN THEN, USE EXTREME CARE WHEN REMOVING THE CAP FROM A HOT RADIATOR. WRAP A THICK CLOTH AROUND THE CAP AND TURN IT SLOWLY TO THE FIRST STOP. STEP BACK WHILE THE PRESSURE IS RELEASED FROM THE COOLING SYSTEM. WHEN CERTAIN ALL THE PRESSURE HAS BEEN RELEASED, PRESS DOWN ON THE CAP WITH A CLOTH, TURN AND REMOVE IT.

2. Remove the radiator pressure cap to release pressure and install cap.

3. Remove the temperature sender.

4. Prepare new sender for installation by applying Pipe Sealant with Teflon®D8AZ-19554-A (ESG-M4G194-A and ESR-M18P7-A) or equivalent to the threads.

5. Install new temperature sender and connect lead wire.

6. Check the coolant level and start engine. Check the temperature system functions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the reply, ill check that out
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 10:18 PM

Is there a smell similar to maple syrup when you run the heater? If so, that is a good sign of the heater core being bad. Also take a look at the exhaust when it heats up a little. White mist is a good sign of a blown head gasket/warped heads.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 11:17 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

if you're actually losing coolant and your carpet isnt wet then you're losing it somewhere. If there arent any external leaks on the motor then you're burning it, ie: blown headgasket The oil doesnt always get contaminated with a blown headgasket there are different ways the gasket can blow. I'd do a compression check on all 6 cylinders and see what you come up with.
-Thomas

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

another thing i forgot to include is that at start-up the car shudders something horrible. it will sputter and shake for a minute but subsides and the car will drive fine. i dont know if its related or not.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 11:35 AM

My car shakes like hell in the morning for a few seconds. I dont have any coolant issues so it may not be related. But if there is water or coolant in the cylinder it will cause the car to run hard till it is burned off.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

i spoke with a guy at work who's very knowlegable about a lot of things including cars and he mentioned the possibilty that the thermostat is bad. that would explain why the heat will blow cold until the car has been run for quite a while and then get really got and then go back to cold at idle. but it wouldnt explain the loss of coolant. im going to have the compression checked this weekend and hope for the best. if the compression is good i'll probably try changing the thermostat. sound like a plan?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 03:08 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to thunderbirdlver Send a message via Yahoo to thunderbirdlver
here is what i have noticed with my birds coolant wise. i have had a heater core go and u know when that goes. windshield frosts up coolant on the floor and a burnt foot. my goodness i never felt anyhting like it since. i broke a radiator and blew a lower radiator hose. when ever the cooland would get low the temp guage goes way up but there is no heat. empty heater core. but when the coolant is very low for some reason u have to keep the rpm's up or it will stall. let the car warm and just look for smells. i had the gasket where the thermostat went leak but then it dried up on the engine. right now my brothers 3.8 leaks in the lines that r related to heating. u can hear it drip a couple times on the exhaust manifolds just after shut down.

If your exhaust tip is larger than your cylinder bore, then you are a Ricer.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 11:25 AM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays806
i spoke with a guy at work who's very knowlegable about a lot of things including cars and he mentioned the possibilty that the thermostat is bad. that would explain why the heat will blow cold until the car has been run for quite a while and then get really got and then go back to cold at idle. but it wouldnt explain the loss of coolant. im going to have the compression checked this weekend and hope for the best. if the compression is good i'll probably try changing the thermostat. sound like a plan?
If the thermostat is bad it wont matter if youre moving or not, coolant isnt being circulated and it'll overheat. And, a bad thermostat won't lose coolant.
-Thomas

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 12:57 PM

plus motorcraft thermostats are fail-safe, when they brake, they hang open.

even though you said you didn't see any leaks, i think it's the side tank on your radiator, if you had a leak there it would be kinda hard to spot it, especially if it's on the front of the unit.

have you pressure tested the system yet?

what mixture of anitfreeze to water are you using? if there's too much antifreeze you'll run hot.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 01:12 PM

rad fan could be messing up? just thought i throw my 2 cents in for a sec.

:ROFL:
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

the radiator fan runs so i dont think thats the case. hopefully tomorrow ill get to check the compression and ill try testing the pressure in the system.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 06:06 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to ECU_Q
I am having the same exact problem and all of the above is ok, HGs are fine, thermostat is brand new, just checked this afternoon and there is no coolant leak, and the heater core is tip top shape. I figure that the temp sender is bad.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 06:24 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Make sure that your oil level is not shooting up.Check the oil and look for signs of moisture in it if so thats the dead giveaway.You have been hit with the dreaded head gasket failure.Do this as soon as possible or if you are running with antifreeze in the oil it does not take long to wreck the engine.regards older newbie
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

tonight i had to drive somewhere and i ran the heater. i noticed that it would blow cold air until the temp guage would rise. once it reached very near "H" the "check guages" light would come on and the heater would blow hot for a minute and then the guage would go back down. it did this only a few times. the rest of the time the guage was reading normal.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 07:28 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

mhays806;

Based on my experience with my 3.8 cougar (which I only owned for three days)

If you had to add coolant more than once, taking into account your other symptoms, I would suspect a head gasket leak.

Steve - TCCoA member
2003 Crown Vic LX Sport
1995 T-Bird LX 4.6 retired at 247,888 miles
Thanks for the ride !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in