CamShaft senor replacement? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

CamShaft senor replacement?

I have a 1997 LX 3.8... and my "Service Engine Soon" light came on a few weeks ago. I didn't think anything of it, and drove with it like that for a few days. Well, after it not going off, it started to get on my nerves. So I took it to Advance a week or so ago, and had the scan for codes. They said that my "cam shaft sensor" is bad. So I purchased a new one for $30.00. When I opened my Haynes book, I couldn't find anything on replacing the camshaft senor. I say crankshaft sensor and other odd-n-ends, but nothing about the cam shaft sensor. Will someone please tell me what I need to do, to replace this part.

Thank you!

-Kornhaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 07:30 PM
Motorboatin' SOB
Headlight Cleaning Guru

Send a message via AIM to big mike
im pretty sure that our 3.8s dont have a cam position sensor. the sc's do, however. what was the code number that the scanner coughed up?

2014 GT
1990 300ZX TT
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

I haven't a clue what the code was. Well, I guess I will take this this thing back and tell them to rescan the computer.

Thank you!

-Kornhaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 10:50 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by big mike
im pretty sure that our 3.8s dont have a cam position sensor. the sc's do, however. what was the code number that the scanner coughed up?
96/97s do, the only thing they lack from being an SC are a blower and Forged internals.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 02:45 PM

And upgraded drivetrain, and springs, an... *gets shot*
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 03:23 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenmachines_e2
And upgraded drivetrain, and springs, an... *gets shot*
Point was the engine.

But hey Scott, Autozone will tell ya the code for free, and if is the Cam Sensor swing by here and I'll let ya borrow my book(s) if I can't make it on the 19th.

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
93 5.0 Tbird
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 03:33 PM
6th Gear Poster

It's a 10 minute replacement job for the sensor portion of the camshaft position sensor. Two screws (7mm hex I believe), pull it off, unplug, plug in new one, and screw it back down. I just replaced the one on my SC last week. My code was 332, Cylinder Identification Error. Cleared it up. Now all I need to do is fix my EGR related codes. Try getting to the EGR valve on an SC. Yeah...right....

Glen "RustyUL" Weldon

94 Thunderbird SC - 5 Speed -- Picture Here
1 of 722 1994 SC 5-speeds made.
Soilid Engine Mounts, B&M Ripper Shifter, Tokico Shocks
95 Thunderbird LX - 4.6
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowez
Point was the engine.
sorry, i was being a smartass. text doesnt convey sarcasm quite as well as it should.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 06:17 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyul
It's a 10 minute replacement job for the sensor portion of the camshaft position sensor. Two screws (7mm hex I believe), pull it off, unplug, plug in new one, and screw it back down. I just replaced the one on my SC last week. My code was 332, Cylinder Identification Error. Cleared it up. Now all I need to do is fix my EGR related codes. Try getting to the EGR valve on an SC. Yeah...right....
Ah thats easy the books make is sound a bit more delicate than that (ie: lineing everything up)

93 SC Tbird
93 5.0 Tbird
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 06:28 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
You only have to line it up if you screw with the housing/oil pump shaft alignment. Just putting on the sensor you dont have to mess with that, which is great
-Rob

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 09:54 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

knock sensor too!

Yeah the cam sensor bolts right on top of the shaft, easy replacement. It controls the fuel injector timing.

-Thomas

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Well, upon removing the sensor today, I found that I have a much larger problem than I first thought. Apparently the sensor broke apart completely on the inside (magnet) and destroyed the sychronizer assembly! I called Advance Auto and O'Reilies, and they both said it is a item only available from Ford. Therefore, I have to take my car to the dealership (or should I say STEALERSHIP) and pay someone to do the work. Isn't that a crock of *****!!!!!!!!!!!!! URGH... it makes me angry!!!

-Kornhaus
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 09:21 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

I have a complete cam sensor assembly from sensor to pump shaft off my 90 sc. The car was unstartable when I bought it but I suspected the crank sensor to be bad, the cam sensor should be good, as well as the synchronizer, if you need it let me know, we'll work out a price. I thought about using it with other stuff from the sc to convert to DIS but I decided not to.
-Thomas

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 02:28 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Offer still stands just probably have to do it in the dark.

93 SC Tbird
93 5.0 Tbird
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Offer still stands just probably have to do it in the dark.
Well, it isn't that I need help installing the sensor. I could have replaced that in 15 minutes. But after removing the sensor, I noticed it was completely shattered on the inside. Therefore, bending the synchronizer assembly... which is what I am after now. The Haynes manual says I must have the engine 26 degress ATDC (after top dead center). That is what I am not familiar with. That, and I don't know where to by the synchronizer assembly from! Advance and O'Rileys were no help!

Calling Dan Newman...

Can you help!? If so, what type of price am I looking at?!

-Kornhaus
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 08:58 AM
5th Gear Poster

i have the same problem with my 96 3.8. i haven't done anything yet because the car is running fine. I would like to know what the end result is with ur case and what the total cost came out to. Pls let me know because i am going to take care of this soon. Another question if i take it to the dealer do u think that they will do a good job or will they screw the car up more. My car doesn't have any problems other than that check engine light. The code i came up with was 340 camshaft position sensor circuit malfunction bank one. U can email at [email protected]
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 12:43 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Getting to 26* is not that hard.

The offical name is Camshaft Positioning Sensor Housing
T2A362 (reference part number)
Looks like either dealer parts counter or Dan for this one though.

My Shop Manaul gives a slightly different procedure, using positioning tool (T96-P-12200-A).

Oh word of note the Hayes manual used a 89 T-bird.

Tino, yours may just be the sensor and not the housing too in that case its only a $30 part.

93 SC Tbird
93 5.0 Tbird
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Sweet!!! If I can order this part before the meet... do you think you could help me get to 26 degrees? If we can do that, I can install/do the rest.

-Kornhaus

Quote:
Getting to 26* is not that hard.

The offical name is Camshaft Positioning Sensor Housing
T2A362 (reference part number)
Looks like either dealer parts counter or Dan for this one though.

My Shop Manaul gives a slightly different procedure, using positioning tool (T96-P-12200-A).

Oh word of note the Hayes manual used a 89 T-bird.

Tino, yours may just be the sensor and not the housing too in that case its only a $30 part.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 01:14 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Sure, no problem.

93 SC Tbird
93 5.0 Tbird
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 09:16 PM
5th Gear Poster

when you guys do the repair let me know how it turns out and the steps that u went through to get there. I would really appreciate the info. Especially the part where u have to get the 26 degrees after top dead center. thanks again tino
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 08:31 PM
5th Gear Poster

did u ever resolve that problem with the camshaft position sensor. If u did can u tell me how it worked out. I am basically waiting for someone to have done it to see how difficult or easy it is. Right now my car is in the shop some lady talking on her cell hit me on the drivers side. I should get my car back as soon as i get the check from the ins co. well i hope that u can tell me what the end result is. I am looking foward to getting rid of that stupid light. Thanks for ur help
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tino
did u ever resolve that problem with the camshaft position sensor. If u did can u tell me how it worked out. I am basically waiting for someone to have done it to see how difficult or easy it is. Right now my car is in the shop some lady talking on her cell hit me on the drivers side. I should get my car back as soon as i get the check from the ins co. well i hope that u can tell me what the end result is. I am looking foward to getting rid of that stupid light. Thanks for ur help
I just received the part I needed. So whenever I get the time, I will be installing it.

bowez,

When do you think you could help me install this "unit"? What tools will I need?

-Kornhaus
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 06:38 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottkornhaus
I just received the part I needed. So whenever I get the time, I will be installing it.

bowez,

When do you think you could help me install this "unit"? What tools will I need?

-Kornhaus
Need to check my schedule for next week, going to be busy with my wedding on the 16th.

As far as tools; socket set, some white-out/touch up paint and a protrator and ruler wouldn't hurt (but may not even need them). Or Ford speciality tool, T96P-12200-A

93 SC Tbird
93 5.0 Tbird
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 12:23 AM

26 degrees after top dead center

How did you guys set cylinder number one to 26 degrees ATDC of the compression stroke? I am getting ready to change my camshaft sensor and synchronizer assembly and this is crucial (or so Haynes implies).

By the way, the Haynes manual has a blow-by-blow account of the procedure on pages 5-10~5-11.

Thanks!!
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 04:49 PM

scott or anybody else,
where is the camshaft position sensor on 97 LX 3.8L

alanis
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 05:10 PM

Look under the coil. There will be a round black circle with 3 wires going to it. That is the cam sensor.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 08:22 PM
5th Gear Poster

I took it to an independent shop to have it done. When they removed the sensor it was all chewed up. They had to replace the synchronizer also. Since that was a dealer part they got the sensor from the dealer also just to be safe. It came out to about 530 dollars including the state inspection. The mechanic told me that if it wasn't for the new inspection procedure with the scan tool i wouldn't have to get it done. I was driving for about three years with that light on. The only thing was that i was burning a little more gas and not as much pickup. Now the car picks up faster and burns less gas. I had this done two years ago and no problems since. I hope you get yours fixed soon. Let us know how it turns out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in