i think this has been covered before but...grr - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

i think this has been covered before but...grr

mt pwer steering pump has went south on me!!..lol...anyways i wont hold fluid...i filled it up like 2 days ago and now it all has ran out....grrr....so my question is how much of a pain is it to change pumps???....i have ben told there a bit**!

thank for any info/help
Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

mt pwer steering pump...sorry ment to say "my power steering pump"!...my hands are quicker then my brain sometimes!! haha

jay
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 07:18 PM

actually its fairly easy to change the pump, you just need to purchase a power steering pulley puller to remove the pulley, after that its just a few bolts to remove it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 09:46 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Are you sure it's the pump and not the rack? You might want to check it out before you go with the pump.

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

i jus replaced my rack like a month ago...but ill check it to be sure.

thanks guys
Jay
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 09:37 AM
PostWhore

If you go to buy that pulley removal tool watch the price.... I looked at almost all the auto parts stores in town and got ripped for $100 then saw them at one waaaaaay across town that I was too lazy to call for $40. I suppose mine are better quality but not $60 worth.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

i checked out my power steering leak today and it is not my pump or my rack but it is one of my lines coming off the pump and going to the rack.....hummm....anyways how much will it cost to get a new line for this???

thanks
Jay
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 09:22 AM
PostWhore

Can't say directly how much it'd cost but you may want to call a local hydraulics supply house in addition to your Ford parts folks. Some of those places will custom make you a hose pretty reasonable....
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Louisville bird
i checked out my power steering leak today and it is not my pump or my rack but it is one of my lines coming off the pump and going to the rack.....hummm....anyways how much will it cost to get a new line for this???

thanks
Jay
Hey Jay,
I had the same experience earlier this year. I don't know if this is your situation, but you should check it out anyway.

The line had developed a leak up in close to the oil pan. I couldn't see it, but could reach up in there and feel it. There was supposed to be a thick rubber sleeve there, but it had rotted from heat and slid away.

Apparently, this line had been rubbing on the oil pan. I took it to my guy and he advised that a pan would be in the neighbourhood of $400 just for the pan, no labour. He suggested that he try to patch it, so that's what he did. It's held up for a while now. I'll be replacing the engine when my budget allows anyway, if I don't sell it first.

The point of this story is that the problem was caused by worn engine mounts, and in my opinion, a bad design. The line was far too close to another component.

As far as parts go, the Power Steering line was $137 CDN, or around $90 USD.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in