follow-up to previous problem... still need help - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

follow-up to previous problem... still need help

this is in reference to http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=60380.

since then I've all but ruled out a fuel problem.

Fuel pressure is good. spark is good. coil and connector good. replaced pickup (aka stator). Timing is set perfectly. New cap, rotor, wires, plugs. MAF sensor is good.

Still having touble starting. I noticed that when I remove the SPOUT (shorting plug) it starts up fine and doesn't die while revving. But I don't feel comfortable pulling it out every time I need to start the car in some parking lot. I'd hate to stick a new ECM in there if thats not the problem. I don't want to just throw money at it randomly. Can anyone help point me to the next idea?

Grey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 06:45 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Could possible be a faulty IAC (Idle Air Control) Valve. My 95's went bad and I would have to crank it over for a few seconds before it would actually run, and then it would be fine unless I gave it gas, in which case the rpms would immediately drop and kill it.
-Thomas

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 09:28 PM

You could try the temp sensor. Its cheap and takes all of 2 minutes to change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

I Got It!!!

Thank you everyone for the help you've given me. lol I have seriously learned so much about my car with this strange problem... just sucks I had to deal with the frustration at the same time!

The problem, it seems, was the ignition control module. I think thats what its called... it was the module mounted in what looks like a heatsink on the passenger shock tower. My friend picked one up from the garage he works at along with a new coil for good measure. We put it in and she fired right up. We did our best to get the problem to come back (revving hard, turning it off and on) but that had to be the problem because the bird wouldn't die.

we went ahead and put in the coil afterwards because it was cheap and we noticed that even when starting it before (with the problem), the spark was kind of weak. I think now, excluding a battery and ECM, every thing that touches the spark system is replaced.

thanks again!

Grey

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in