No longer the daily driver...... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy No longer the daily driver......

Well i popped the tranny the other night, locked everything up, sheared the flex plate, and spun the harmonic balancer off the motor. still ran without noise, so i'm pretty sure the motor is still good. I just can't afford the constant down time and quirks that she has now...not to mention that i get about 10-12 mpg. I bought a 4 banger for my main mode of transport. I came to realize that to get this car the way i want it, it just isn't possible...or economical to commute with it. She isn't coming off the road, just going to be what i wanted all along- a hot rod. I found myself always questioning mods as to how they would affect driveability....now that won't be an issue. So if it takes a week to get something done, it doesn't mean that i'm begging rides for a week. I feel bad that i had to do it, because God knows i love driving that car.....but common sense wins this time. I swore i would never get an import, but the price and car were right so i guess i made a liar of myself....at least it's not a honda. Maybe now i'll get those 4.11s......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 03:23 PM
4th Gear Poster

I feel your pain. I bought my Nissan after the third transmission rebuild in my T-bird in as many years back in 2000, feeling pretty guilty at the time. But you know what, I'm glad I did. The way I look at it, if I didn't get a reliable and economical car, I would have had to trade the Tbird for something else by now. It needs an engine and has a laundry list of other problems. I love the T-Bird, and I will get it back on the road shortly, but I can take my time and have fun doing it, because I don't need to depend on it anymore. And the best part about owning a little import is that there is no chance of me falling in love with it. Nothing feels better than taking my T-bird out for a ride after banging gears in my 5-speed econo-box all day.

what kind of car did you get, out of curiosity?

1995 LX Electric Red 3.8, K&N intake, Reinhart Chip.

1965 Mustang HP289

I'm selling many 1960's Mustang and Ford parts. Have a rebuildable 289, an FMX trans, complete 67 coupe body with glass - send me PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Got a 91 stanza- low miles and mint condition- goes through the same amount of gas in a week that the cougar used in 3-4 days. I did some further checking, and the transmission failure was a lot more catastrophic than i throught originally, and the motor is pretty much wasted. I'm going to get myself a mig welder, and strip her out- plan for 351 w/man trans. hope to get that project rolling within the next 6 months...soon as i finish paying off this one- thats what really sucks, i built the last third on credit and now i'm paying off something i can't use.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in